checking senders and gauges

Search this Thread

Old 18 July 2007, 04:29 PM
willsy369
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default checking senders and gauges

hi all,

posted a thread in the correct area but though i would put one here as it gets looked at more often,

to cut it short my oil pressusre gauge reads max all the time, i have checked and re checked wiring using voltmeters etc and all appears in order, oil temp wired same and that works! is there a way to check a faulty pressure sender or gauge?

would it be possible to connect the oil press sender to the oil temp gauge just to see if the gauge works elliminating the sender?

and visa versa using oil temp sender (which works) to oil press gauge?

many thanks in advance

willsy
Old 18 July 2007, 04:51 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

I wouldn't go attaching the wrong sender to the wrong gauge without the OK from the manufacturers.

What sort of gauges are they?

When you say you've checked the wiring with a multimeter, WHAT have you checked? Continuity? Output of sender? Resistance of gauge?

I'd reckon that the only simple way of testing would be to substitute a known working GAUGE first, then if that doesn't work on your car, change the sender.

A decent gauge dealer MAY lend you a new gauge to see if it works, but failing that, ask on here if anyone has the same gauges.

Or send an e-mail to the manufacturer.

HTH, Alcazar
Old 18 July 2007, 05:09 PM
willsy369
Scooby Regular

cheers Alcazar, i checked the continuity of the wires and they were ok, power wires were ok to, is there a check on the sender i.e between the input pole from the sender and the power pole or earth pole, (it has 3 poles on the back, labelled S (sender) E (earth) and I (input power) this is what the gauge wiring diagram says. (they are Auto Gauge gauges from LMA Performance.) to see if the resistance inside the gauge is ok? im in germany at the mo so not much else i can do but check things myself and if i beleive one or the other is broke order it out to me.

cheers for your help

willsy
Old 18 July 2007, 05:52 PM
Paddi70
Scooby Regular

What readings are your getting, and in bar or psi?
Old 18 July 2007, 06:08 PM
willsy369
Scooby Regular

with the power connected i only get max reading which is 100 psi (also has bar scale) but its just max reading either way. i disconect and it falls to no reading. with or with out the sender wire on i have the same problem i was hoping the max reading would go after connecting the sender or at least balance out showing a beleivable reading! but no! is it common for senders to e broken from factory?

willsy
Old 19 July 2007, 02:24 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Are you sure the sender is earthed properly? Do a continuity check between the body of the sender and the car's -ve battery terminal. Should be zero, or close to zero, resistance. If it's a lot, put a temporary earth in place and see if this helps.

If still no joy, e-mail the gauge supplier/manufacturer.

Supplier, and/or packaging might give a website address, or try a Google search.

Alcazar