Search this Thread

Old 09 July 2007, 09:26 AM
gixermark
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default newbe - Sti vs WRX ?

Hi Guys,

first post here so be gentle !!

I used to own a 'classic' for 3 years, and have always fancied coming back...

I am after an '03-'05 shape this time, but when i looked at a WRX last week was disappointed with the interior -plain and seats looked a backward step from teh classic?

I know the Sti Interior is much nicer (imho) ie seats, carpet and trim/dash etc... .but what else is the difference ? i believe approx 25hp more as std... and the rear spoiler etc..

Are the service intervals any different - or any other things i shoudl consider ?

Thanks,

Mark.
Old 09 July 2007, 09:58 AM
maci
Scooby Regular

Hi and welcome,

I owned a bug wrx for 3 years then I got a 05 sti, both with PPP.
Have a search if you want to know the differences exactly between the models, but what I can tell you is that servicing is more or less the same, but the sti will eat your tyres faster, due to the fact that it corners very well, and you just do it faster Also the sti is more brutal as power delivery, so the drive feeling is great(if you loike it -I know I do). Interior of the sti is also much nicer. Fuel consumption is a bit higher of the sti, and since the sti has a 6 speed gearbox, you change gears much more

I think I summarized all the main differences, but there are lot more, I'm sure doing a search will help you, or some other scoobynetter will be soon along to point them out
Old 09 July 2007, 10:07 AM
gixermark
Scooby Newbie

Thanks.... I treid the search and a few other resoources first but didn't get very far..

Always good to get responses from folk that have had both..

so - handling.. what are the key differences ? i believe the sti has a central diff etc ? maybe water spray for the intercooler i think as std ? i guess the brakes are better on an sti too....

if anyone has a straight forwrad spec comparison sheet would be great... also what its like living with the 2......
Old 09 July 2007, 10:19 AM
scoobystiv8
Scooby Regular

I had a MY00 then left subaru ownership for 2 years, now back with a MY03 STi. I think the sti has about 35 BHP more than the wrx as standard. They are 2 very different cars. The STi is the way to go IMHO. Also the sti is quite easy to mod, and the brakes, gearbox, seats, looks etc................ are much better than the wrx. (personal opinion.)
Old 09 July 2007, 10:24 AM
gixermark
Scooby Newbie

yea - i believe they are quite different cars, and have pretty much decided its an STi i want - mostly in terms of interior - but i also know they are a beet specced car in terms of performance, brakes etc..

would just like to see a spec sheet showing exact differences...
Old 09 July 2007, 10:26 AM
scoobystiv8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by gixermark
Thanks.... I treid the search and a few other resoources first but didn't get very far..

so - handling.. what are the key differences ? i believe the sti has a central diff etc ? maybe water spray for the intercooler i think as std ? i guess the brakes are better on an sti too....

if anyone has a straight forwrad spec comparison sheet would be great... also what its like living with the 2......

The STi has suretrack diffs. larger intercooler with waterspray, brembo brakes all round, stronger engine and gearbox, different exhaust, uprated suspension, bigger turbo and injectors, better interior, cr#p stereo(they all have) And its faster.
I drove the wrx when i bought the sti and found the wrx to be dull and characterless. The sti has personality and wills you to go faster. It still makes me grin when I drive it, I dont think the wrx would give you that.
Old 09 July 2007, 10:31 AM
Mikkel
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobystiv8
The STi has suretrack diffs. larger intercooler with waterspray, brembo brakes all round, stronger engine and gearbox, different exhaust, uprated suspension, bigger turbo and injectors, better interior, cr#p stereo(they all have) And its faster.
I drove the wrx when i bought the sti and found the wrx to be dull and characterless. The sti has personality and wills you to go faster. It still makes me grin when I drive it, I dont think the wrx would give you that.
Not true, the spec D STI has a cracking stereo as standard and a much better interior too IMO
Old 09 July 2007, 10:33 AM
scoobystiv8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mikkel
Not true, the spec D STI has a cracking stereo as standard and a much better interior too IMO
Exception to the rule
Old 09 July 2007, 10:34 AM
maci
Scooby Regular

Handling is very good in the 05 sti, way much better then the 02 wrx. This is the only one I can compare with as I owend it. Brakes are also much better, actually I find them very good. For me the STI is the wrx with the mods I wanted So instead of modding it, I bought a newer car with all things I wanted on it. The intercooler waterspray is a nice little toy, but as performance I doubt it makes any difference, but I tend to use it a lot to keep the engine bay cooler, so I guess it is after all a good thing.
I think the engine of the sti is also stronger, I mean the internals, has forged pistons too, and there is no piston slap, smth most older Impreza's have. And there is the clutch of the STI, no more judder in the morning. The overall feeling is that it is a car which is stronger and can cope with the power easyer than a wrx. Build quality is also better, but you still get some rattles and squeaks as all Imprezas. The sti also gets more road attention - which is a bit negative. High speed cruising is also very nice with the sti, feels stable and can easly go with 200 kph(just got been in Germany - so I can tell )
Old 09 July 2007, 11:01 AM
gixermark
Scooby Newbie

Thanks again guys...

Yea - that helps confirm that i DO want an sti then.... intersting note about the suddering clutch - my classic had that... i assumed they all did it, woul dbe nice to have smoother clutch action for sure...

The old WRX i had was the only car i've owned for a long period (3 years) and never once got bored of it... i normally change every 6-12 months !!

There is a nice '03 Sti in a local stealer, not cheap at £12,995, but it does have FSH and is totally immaculate, and they are giving me reasonable trade in on my car... It may well be due a belt service though.....

Mark.
Old 09 July 2007, 11:20 AM
scoobystiv8
Scooby Regular

Thanks again guys...

Yea - that helps confirm that i DO want an sti then.... intersting note about the suddering clutch - my classic had that... i assumed they all did it, woul dbe nice to have smoother clutch action for sure...

The old WRX i had was the only car i've owned for a long period (3 years) and never once got bored of it... i normally change every 6-12 months !!

There is a nice '03 Sti in a local stealer, not cheap at £12,995, but it does have FSH and is totally immaculate, and they are giving me reasonable trade in on my car... It may well be due a belt service though.....

Mark.
I got mine from a main stealers and paid £12000, it was up at £13,000. I managed to get the camblet service, new discs and pads and new tyres, 12 mths warranty, tax and mot thrown in aswell as they were just ending there subaru dealership, I think they were trying to get rid of there stock.
Make sure you check the discs and pads as they are pretty expensive.
Old 09 July 2007, 12:48 PM
marmski
Scooby Regular

Another vote for the STi. If im correct the 2005 STi is 85% different from the 2005 WRX.
Old 09 July 2007, 01:03 PM
pippyrips
Scooby Regular

and all this before you consider the difference between uk and jdm STI's
Old 09 July 2007, 01:04 PM
gixermark
Scooby Newbie

jdm ? i assume thats the jap imports ??

I'm hoping to stick to UK spec cars...
Old 09 July 2007, 01:15 PM
Mikkel
Scooby Regular

Make sure you get the 2.5 hawkeye as opposed to the 2.0 blobeye too.
Old 09 July 2007, 03:51 PM
gixermark
Scooby Newbie

i actually like the blob eye.... don't like the bug eye though..
interestingly a local dealer who specializes in imports is getting a Spec C '06 in tomorrow.. its the 'old' shape but sounds interesting...

Would the Spec C be hard to live with as an every day tool ?
Old 09 July 2007, 03:54 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Would the Spec C be hard to live with as an every day tool ?

No - i thought it was quite refined compared to a classic, which i felt was more raw!!!!!

Get an STI if for the uprated and stronger components and gearbox if nothing else
Old 09 July 2007, 04:20 PM
gixermark
Scooby Newbie

ok thanks..

I assume spec c is only available as an import ?
Old 09 July 2007, 04:43 PM
muttly66
Scooby Regular

dont get starry eyed by the little pink badge wrx's if done right are plenty for anyone
uk sti's getting abit like burberry soon be on the naff side if anythig go for spec c or other import
Old 09 July 2007, 04:48 PM
Mikkel
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by muttly66
dont get starry eyed by the little pink badge wrx's if done right are plenty for anyone
uk sti's getting abit like burberry soon be on the naff side if anythig go for spec c or other import
Ah the whole chav association thing... it's utter bollocks really as few chavs can afford a £20k+ car. Unfortunately, the general public with no interest in cars in the first place associate rally with chav styling due to a few over modded classics.

Last edited by Mikkel; 09 July 2007 at 04:53 PM.
Old 09 July 2007, 05:24 PM
WRX Blues
Scooby Regular

Horses for courses me thinks! My 120 mile a day motorway commute was dull in an 330bhp JDM STi (as well as expensive). My current WRX PPP makes the commute more fun because I do get the odd occasion to push the car to its limits (well almost). I guess if you are a good driver (I'm not) then pushing an STi to the limit could be fun. As I could only push my STi to 70% of its limit I enjoy wringing 95% out of the WRX better!
Old 09 July 2007, 05:36 PM
Prasius
Scooby Regular

(as an STI owner..)

If you want something thats easier to live with every day - get a WRX; its not as focused at the STI, contary to some on here, an STI isn't just a WRX with some bolt on bits, it feels a very different car, and is too much 'hassle' to drive for some people. If you want something that just begs you to tear-**** everywhere at mach9 - get the STI; you can drive "sensibly" in the STI, it just takes a massive amount of willpower!

Just to clarify, I'm not saying the WRX is bad.. just I imagine a WRX vs UK STI is like a UK STI vs STI RA-R (not that I've been lucky enough to drive one but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't want it as a daily driver!! )
Old 09 July 2007, 05:59 PM
scoobystiv8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Prasius
(as an STI owner..)

If you want something thats easier to live with every day - get a WRX; its not as focused at the STI, contary to some on here, an STI isn't just a WRX with some bolt on bits, it feels a very different car, and is too much 'hassle' to drive for some people. If you want something that just begs you to tear-**** everywhere at mach9 - get the STI; you can drive "sensibly" in the STI, it just takes a massive amount of willpower!

Just to clarify, I'm not saying the WRX is bad.. just I imagine a WRX vs UK STI is like a UK STI vs STI RA-R (not that I've been lucky enough to drive one but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't want it as a daily driver!! )
Im glad you posted that, I really thought I was just going through a phase
I have to admit it takes alot of thinking not to drive like a lunatic, the car always seems to want to go faster, I take the long route everywhere.