Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

1st warantee claim,should be fun !

Search this Thread

Old 08 July 2007, 04:33 PM
hallsy67
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1st warantee claim,should be fun !

recently bought an 06 sti that was a cypriot import, have it booked for a service on tuesday with my local subaru dealer and today i get the suspension knock from the back.from nothing noise wise to clunking like mad in a space of an hour so should be fun tuesday morning as the people ive spoke to at subaru uk about the warantee have been far from helpful so far
Old 08 July 2007, 07:54 PM
cster
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know if they will do waranty work on an import.
TBH the shocks on this model are known to be rubbish, and all they do is replace like for like.
If I were you and had the money, I would invest in new shocks/lowering springs or maybe the RB320 setup.
Old 08 July 2007, 08:38 PM
hallsy67
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cster
I don't know if they will do waranty work on an import.
TBH the shocks on this model are known to be rubbish, and all they do is replace like for like.
If I were you and had the money, I would invest in new shocks/lowering springs or maybe the RB320 setup.
well ive been told it comes under european w/tee, well if not garage i bought it from will get a bill and full remap
Old 08 July 2007, 09:49 PM
scooby2.5maz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hallsy67
recently bought an 06 sti that was a cypriot import, have it booked for a service on tuesday with my local subaru dealer and today i get the suspension knock from the back.from nothing noise wise to clunking like mad in a space of an hour so should be fun tuesday morning as the people ive spoke to at subaru uk about the warantee have been far from helpful so far

hi there, just check with international motors that your car is on their data base. (they are the guys that have to aprove all your warranty work). not long had some warranty work done on mine (56 wrx). the local subaru dealer have to put a p.w.a form ( permit for work authority) and submit to (i.m) international motors who then decide if its valid to carry out. just not long had to have back discs skimmed as had pitted and corroded. took mine to the local subaru\ lexus dealer and was given a 07 lexus 220d for 3 hours. cool hope this helps.
Old 08 July 2007, 10:44 PM
rigga
Scooby Regular

so they did skim them and not replace the discs after all then maz......

wouldnt be happy with that mate.
Old 08 July 2007, 10:52 PM
hallsy67
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scooby2.5maz
hi there, just check with international motors that your car is on their data base. (they are the guys that have to aprove all your warranty work). not long had some warranty work done on mine (56 wrx). the local subaru dealer have to put a p.w.a form ( permit for work authority) and submit to (i.m) international motors who then decide if its valid to carry out. just not long had to have back discs skimmed as had pitted and corroded. took mine to the local subaru\ lexus dealer and was given a 07 lexus 220d for 3 hours. cool hope this helps.
cheers for that, i sent off my w/tee with them 5 weeks ago, spoke to them 2 weeks ago to be told," yes its here on my desk sir, i havent got round to processing it yet" but i still havent recieved a letter yet confirming they accept my warantee, but ive only had the car 6 weeks from a garage so if not il be giving him a call to sort it
Old 08 July 2007, 11:05 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Well, the money you saved can be used to sort it out - I guess?
Old 08 July 2007, 11:10 PM
hallsy67
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pslewis
Well, the money you saved can be used to sort it out - I guess?
it could but the garage i bought it from said it had been registered for warantee when it hadnt, so he may be getting a phone call
Old 08 July 2007, 11:12 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

I bought a genuine UK and had no such hassle, free 1,000mile Service and no issue with warranty claims ....... glad I paid a bit more now
Old 08 July 2007, 11:14 PM
hallsy67
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pslewis
I bought a genuine UK and had no such hassle, free 1,000mile Service and no issue with warranty claims ....... glad I paid a bit more now
ive not had any hassle..................................yet
Old 09 July 2007, 09:29 AM
The rookie
Scooby Regular

Under EU law, any car sold in the EU is warranteed throughout the EU, the problem arrises when there are different importers to the country of sale and country of claim, most manufacturers now supply the cross referencing between the two parties so to the customer its seemless (the only issue is getting the car onto the loocal database, somthing that would usually be done at point of sale for a locally sold car) however not all manufacturers have done this, and some set out to be 'difficult'!

Simon
Old 09 July 2007, 10:43 AM
scooby2.5maz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rigga
so they did skim them and not replace the discs after all then maz......

wouldnt be happy with that mate.

yeh, just skimmed them mate. cheapest thing to try first, i guess. said if any more probs then bring it back. dont seem so bad now but still dont seem to be wearing like the fronts !
Old 09 July 2007, 01:59 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

As Maz said, check your car is registered with IM. If so, no worries.

I've had 3 batteries, brakes skimmed and all 4 shocks replaced under warranty (Maltese import).

Not a single problem, query or hastle. In fact they were very good (even modified too )

It's just one of those things that people remember about a few cases then anytime an import and warranty share the same post. Up jump the scaremongers. (+people that don't know. +people who stir PSL etc etc).
Old 09 July 2007, 02:20 PM
SPG
Scooby Regular

I thought the warrenty claim still had to be in accordance with the country of origin? Yes it will have a pan european warrenty, but i'm sure i've read on here before that rear shocks have been an issue on euro imports before and have not been covered?
Old 09 July 2007, 02:56 PM
scoobystiv8
Scooby Regular

Had my centre viscous replaced and a rear light and a rear shock on MY03 STi Euro import. Bought from a subaru dealer and came with the subaru approved warranty.
Old 09 July 2007, 03:01 PM
The rookie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SPG
I thought the warrenty claim still had to be in accordance with the country of origin? Yes it will have a pan european warrenty, but i'm sure i've read on here before that rear shocks have been an issue on euro imports before and have not been covered?
Yes obviously the terms and conditions of the warranties may be different (but rarely they are) but whatever T&C's its sold with MUST be respected.

Simon
Old 09 July 2007, 03:22 PM
LWells
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

when i looked into getting an Import i spent some time on the phone to subaru UK, you had to register the car with them (free if i remember) then they are happy to offer a 3 year warranty... however as its IM not Subaru UK that offer the warranty you have to keep to the servicing schudule of the country it was imported from, ie Malta is something like 3k services!! also if you were to put a Prodrive Pack on this would inalidate the warranty of an Import! It also takes longer to process a claim as you either have to wait for the go ahead or pay yourself and wait for a refund if it is a valid claim...

I ended up with a UK with warranrty and Free Service Pack :-)
Old 09 July 2007, 03:32 PM
ethanrob
Scooby Regular

U.K cars all the way for me matey

Ive had two rear strut changes on mine in the first 5 months of its life(56 sti)

Its going back in again soon for another attempt at sorting the steering rack rattle out

marcus
Old 09 July 2007, 03:51 PM
dave_sw1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by LWells
when i looked into getting an Import i spent some time on the phone to subaru UK, you had to register the car with them (free if i remember) then they are happy to offer a 3 year warranty... however as its IM not Subaru UK that offer the warranty you have to keep to the servicing schudule of the country it was imported from, ie Malta is something like 3k services!! also if you were to put a Prodrive Pack on this would inalidate the warranty of an Import! It also takes longer to process a claim as you either have to wait for the go ahead or pay yourself and wait for a refund if it is a valid claim...

I ended up with a UK with warranrty and Free Service Pack :-)
I have a letter from subaru liaco (cyprus) you only need to have a service schedual recommended for the country you reside, I.e uk is 10,000, but yeah if you put a prodrive on it invalidates it, so you put a powerstation remap on and keep quiet, ahem.

I have a claim in now for the lacquer on the alloys bubbling on a 6month old sti import, i'll let you know how that goes.