Sponsored by:

Thule Roof Rack for Carrying Bikes on WRX

Search this Thread

Old 29 June 2007, 10:52 AM
Powerkiter
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thule Roof Rack for Carrying Bikes on WRX

I have a 2004 WRX Saloon an want to carry two mountain bikes on the roof. I have been looking at the Thule roof rack systems. There are some shops local to me that sell the roof rack systems, although none of them have the Rapid Fitting Kit (1210) in stock so they can't show me how they actually fit and will look on my car.

My only concern is that the Rapid Fitting Kit may damage the trim on my car. Does anyone have experience of this fitting kit and if possible could you post some picture of it fitted so I can see what it looks like.

Was also considering purchasing the Proride bike carriers, any experience of these.
Old 29 June 2007, 11:00 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

I carry bikes on the roof of my classic, if that helps, and have opted for:

Subaru roof bars, bought 2nd hand off here.
3 French supermarket special upright bike carriers, (£5 each when I bought)
1 Thule "Front wheel out" type, to allow a bike with an odd shaped frame to be transported.

I'm not sure about the quick fitting kit, mine fitys onto the roof being held on by clips, welded to the roof, under the two trims that run front to rear.

Once in place, the trims SEEM distorted, but when the roofbars are removed, it goes back to shape.

It was an absolute PAIN to find the clips, and locate the roofbar feet, the first time.

Up to FOUR bikes can be carried, so long as you remove pedals and turn handlebars to align with frame. A ten minute job.

Alcazar

Forgot to say: buy off the net if you can, and save quite a bit of money

Last edited by alcazar; 29 June 2007 at 11:01 AM. Reason: added summat
Old 29 June 2007, 12:33 PM
SKS
Scooby Regular

I have a 2004 WRX Saloon an want to carry two mountain bikes on the roof. I have been looking at the Thule roof rack systems. There are some shops local to me that sell the roof rack systems, although none of them have the Rapid Fitting Kit (1210) in stock so they can't show me how they actually fit and will look on my car.

My only concern is that the Rapid Fitting Kit may damage the trim on my car. Does anyone have experience of this fitting kit and if possible could you post some picture of it fitted so I can see what it looks like.

Was also considering purchasing the Proride bike carriers, any experience of these.
I use the Thule system on my 05 WRX saloon with the 1210 mounting kit. Basically the kit has lugs which locate into the roof gutter and side 'L' shaped clamps which locate onto the black surround above the window glass. You tension the system across the bar then tighten the feet.
Admittedly when I first got it and fitted it to the car I thought 'how the **** is this going to work?' Looked to me that when I tensioned the system it was just going to pop up onto the roof.
What did I know (not being a real roof bar designer) ?
As with all things Thule, and as alcazar says, fits perfectly and is extremely tight too! Gives the impression you could pick the car up by the bars when hooked up.
I've been using the system for nearly 2 years on 2 WRXs somewhere in the region of 3 times a month. No problems, no marks on the cars, no damage to any trim.

I use the OutRide carriers on my bars. Personal choice really but I just felt the ProRide was a lot more hassle to attach the bikes to, you need bloody long arms to hook up the frame mounting securely and as it makes the bikes sit so high on the car the wind noise is truly awful. Also, you might as well fit a yacht sail and hammer a hole in yer fuel tank 'cause it'll have the same effect on fuel and speed!!
The OutRide is a 30sec fit (after you drop out the front wheel) and lowers the overall height significantly with obvious benefits!
All IMHO of course

Again, as alcazar says, try spending 5 mins on a well known search engine for some good deals on price. You'll also find a few places doing deals on lock barrels too - both my bars and carriers all fitted with the same barrel code FOC so everything works off one key!

Hope it helps.

Cheers,

Stewart.
Old 29 June 2007, 01:02 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

Different load but Thule roof bar system on MY02.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Trim does look knackered for a while but soon goes back into shape. Advantage is that when removed there are no visible bits. Most Subaru rack users leave the clips in place. Boat weighs approx 55kg.

I never fancied the idea of mud and stones falling onto the roof so use a rear mounted carrier for bikes.