Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Annoyed at people slating the MY08 Impreza.

Search this Thread

Old 22 June 2007, 10:24 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink Annoyed at people slating the MY08 Impreza.

Right thats it, im going away for a few days so can take the flak

I am soooooooooo p155ed off at the ammout of people slating the mk5, so im going to give them a right ear full.

There are different types of people who like impreza's, here they are in a list

1. The enthusiast.

These people love the brand and every impreza they make, seeing the advancements and reasons behind the changes, being controversial or not, but seeing a wider picture of where subaru are going.

2. The practical performance owner.

Not as hard core as the enthusiast, they want a nice quick car with the practicality of 4 doors, normally buying the car because its well priced and reliable rather than for its marque.

3. The "Icanjustaboutaffordtobuyascoob owner"

Now, these normally just buy the car because its quick, think they love the marque until their engine/gearbox/clutch goes, slate the marque because its meant to be reliable (how can you get reliability out of a 14 year old car without doing maintenance gets me ), see something different and slate the crap out of it because they own a "impretza".

4. The classic owner (only ever owning classics)

Well nothing really against these people, except when they slate the rest of the family, classics rule etc, well these (a small minority) normally have their heads up their asses, dunno what they want, ask for improvements to the car (stronger gearboxes, clutches, brakes, engines and better safety) then slate it when they get it totally baffles me then when they go and spend xxx ammount of cash for parts off a new age car whilst still slating them for drivability, handling, etc?? (yes they are heavier, they are also quicker )

5. The new age 2nd scoob owner.

Normally a little more friendly though alot of them have owned scoobs previous to their later model car.
Still enjoy the marque, still have fun with the car and still want that practicallity of 4 doors for the family.

6. The inbetween scoob owner.

As above, inbetween scoobs, loved their last one, want another, just trying to best their previous one

7. The 1st scoob owner.

Not falling into any mark bracket, can own any impreza, but they fall into 3 subgroups.

a. want another scoob.

b. whats that s**t they are bringing out now.

c. I cant afford the latest model, wont give it a chance, push the marque under water whilst not thinking about it and just jump on the bandwagon (phew!)

(section c can also fall under a 2nd scoob owner who has no brains also )

8. The idiot.

Buys any scoob (for its performance) drives like a complete t**t, shows the rest of us up totally and gives us a bad name

So whats the point of the above?
Simple, where do you fall in that bracket (its a rush job cos im off down south shortly), but the ammount of people slating the lastest, best impreza yet (oh it looks like a focus etc, seen posts on here who wanted the impreza to look like a focus/astra etc, read number 4 ) and so Subaru are focusing on a mainstream car (now if you cant see that.....) because its about sales figures as well as developement (dont sell many, dont have the developement in the car).
So what am i getting at?
GIVE THE CAR A CHANCE!
I doubt anyone has seen one in the flesh, let alone driven one but its worse than the classic because it looks ugly (wow, better looking than the classic and i use to own one!)
Well, your either supporting subaru or your going to buy an evo (remembering that mitsubishi didnt recall any of their major faults for over 20 years on their cars ) or wait until ford bring out the RS focus though you could have a long wait on your hands.

End of (for now )

Tony
Old 22 June 2007, 10:28 AM
Pete
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

And breathe.......lol, good on ya Tony....
Old 22 June 2007, 10:31 AM
[Davey]
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Atleast now they have ACTUALLY revised the chassis and running gear (not just stuck on different pannels) it should bring down the price of the parts on the earlier models that have basically stayed the same for 15 odd years and the only justification for the high prices is the fact you expect to pay more for parts on a "modern" car therfore the dealers sell them for more..
Old 22 June 2007, 10:31 AM
Mikkel
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

fair dos. It's always quite amusing stereotyping people like that, but if you can't laugh at yourself what can you do...
Old 22 June 2007, 10:36 AM
John1uk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TonyBurns

Well nothing really against these people, except when they slate the rest of the family, classics rule etc, well these (a small minority) normally have their heads up their asses, dunno what they want, ask for improvements to the car (stronger gearboxes, clutches, brakes, engines and better safety) then slate it when they get it totally baffles me then when they go and spend xxx ammount of cash for parts off a new age car whilst still slating them for drivability, handling, etc?? (yes they are heavier, they are also quicker )
Your forgetting something.

4a The newage owner (only ever owning newage)

Well nothing really against these people, except when they slate the rest of the family, newage rule etc, well these (a small minority) normally have their heads up their asses.

.................................................. .......................................

I think to be fair it swings both ways. But a lot of the jest is just fun.

I think your taking it a little bit to serious, i too think the 08 model looks $hite. i really don't see the point in making a subaru impreza looking like a normal family saloon car . The style of the car is not right. I like the original and newage scoobys.
Old 22 June 2007, 10:39 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

John, one of the points i was getting at is that people dont like change so slate it, having not see/driven it themselves
Ive owned both a classic and a new age, honest truth is that the classic was great, but the new age was greater (because they improved it )

Tony
Old 22 June 2007, 10:47 AM
bob r
Scooby Regular

No doubt when the new model is seen driving around in the flesh, many opinions will change, as it has proved with so many other manufacturers in the past.

I am not convinced with the styling but remain openminded as always.

Trending Topics

Old 22 June 2007, 10:51 AM
Ian
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that was a fun read, and can see your points, all scobs are v good, but in different ways and to different people, at the end of the day we are all on this forum for the same reason, the love of subaru
Old 22 June 2007, 11:04 AM
every1sgottablue1
Scooby Regular

I think the new one will grow on people, it certainly has on me- however I don't like the rear lights (fullstop). I think the new shape has a lot to do with the WRC, and the fact that Ford, Citroen etc, are doing better with a small compactor car....Just my opinion though! .
Old 22 June 2007, 11:05 AM
finchyboy
Scooby Regular

O.k Tony your point is that we have to like whatever Subaru come out with we don't as paying customers of Subaru have a right to an opinion of the New models styling!!
Have you any idea how pompus you sound ?

Liam
Old 22 June 2007, 11:06 AM
Ryo
Scooby Regular

Tony,

My ear is now full !

I am a 7a with a twist:

1st Scoob - classic owner - would love to get a blob-eye - but would somehow want to keep my classic too.

I love all subarus - even the Justy! Would love a go in an SVX too!

But yes, it can become tiresome with the continual 2008 Impreza slating.
Old 22 June 2007, 11:07 AM
MrRA
Scooby Regular

Tony, I agree with you completely. Unlike some, I have said from the very start that I actually like the look of the new Impreza and feel that it far too early for people to slate the car without actually having driven it or having not even seen what will be the 'Halo' model - the STI.
Old 22 June 2007, 11:15 AM
Paul3446
Scooby Regular

Tony, I'm glad you love the styling of the new Impreza and I hope you're really happy when you buy one.

Meanwhile back in the real world, probably 90% of people on here think it looks absolutely horrible. I'm very sorry that we have opinions that differ from yours, but it's our right to have our own opinions and to be able to slag off a new car if it looks cr*p! (which this one does)

Why don't you start a poll if you're that bothered, to see how many people think the new Impreza looks like a real stunner.
Old 22 June 2007, 11:15 AM
craig79
Scooby Regular

In terms of development, I completely understand
why subaru have changed the look so dramatically.
It may not be the only reason but it's obviously to
open up the ever tightening market that is car sales -
in particular gas guzzlers. My opinion of the change is
they're trying to cater for the people that want that
subaru badge but don't want the 'boy racer' stereo typing,
which is fair enough. At the end of the day when i saw it
there was nothing subaru about it - thats not to say it
might be a very good driving car. All anyone can go by
is the initial look and being fairly open minded, I for one
will read someones post after a test drive with great interest.
Besides there's bound to be endless wee add on's that
will become available to smarten it up a bit (here's hoping )
Craig.
Old 22 June 2007, 11:20 AM
Mikkel
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by craig79
Besides there's bound to be endless wee add on's that
will become available to smarten it up a bit
What, like a Daewoo badge?
Old 22 June 2007, 11:46 AM
GREGGYG
Scooby Regular

Wink

Perfectly said Tony, it's nice to hear realness and authenticity.
Old 22 June 2007, 12:14 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by Paul3446
Tony, I'm glad you love the styling of the new Impreza and I hope you're really happy when you buy one.

Meanwhile back in the real world, probably 90% of people on here think it looks absolutely horrible. I'm very sorry that we have opinions that differ from yours, but it's our right to have our own opinions and to be able to slag off a new car if it looks cr*p! (which this one does)

Why don't you start a poll if you're that bothered, to see how many people think the new Impreza looks like a real stunner.

Read the post again, categorise yourself (4 could be good for you ) then see how many posts agree with me (definately not 90% against ) then when you see a MY08 in the flesh, test drive it and then still slate it for its looks
You may have to read the post a few times to understand what im getting at though you sum up the view pretty good

Tony
Old 22 June 2007, 12:17 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by MrRA
Tony, I agree with you completely. Unlike some, I have said from the very start that I actually like the look of the new Impreza and feel that it far too early for people to slate the car without actually having driven it or having not even seen what will be the 'Halo' model - the STI.

You understand perfectly, anything new is a change, it takes a while to get use to it, as it did with all the other models after the classic (even when I bought my classic i though it looked dated/ugly back in 2000)

Tony
Old 22 June 2007, 12:17 PM
Paul3446
Scooby Regular

Unfortunately the post was far too long and boring to read all the way through.

I get the idea though, you're annoyed because people don't like the looks of the new impreza.

Well I'm afraid I've looked at it again and still don't like it, what do you suggest I do?
Old 22 June 2007, 12:23 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Cool

Unfortunately the post was far too long and boring to read all the way through.

I get the idea though, you're annoyed because people don't like the looks of the new impreza.

Well I'm afraid I've looked at it again and still don't like it, what do you suggest I do?
Ahhhh, ignorance is bliss
To start with, im not saying its the best looking car, but its an improvement.
You seem to think that pictures are everything, nothing in photo's show the REAL item, you have not test driven and have set your mind on "its crap because my classic is better" type attitude.
You have deomonstrated perfectly to the people what the post is about, giving the new car no chance before its even out.
Well done.

Tony
Old 22 June 2007, 12:23 PM
Paul3446
Scooby Regular

------------------

Right I've read the above which you seem to categorise myself as. Yes, I think the classic was the best Impreza, I've never asked for improvements to the Classic car, I'd be happy if they just started making them again, exactly as they were. I've never spent xxx amount of cash on parts for a new age car, why would I? Mine is a classic, it doesn't need new age bits?

Perhaps you need to create a new little pidgeon hole for people who like the classic and would like Subaru to start remaking them?
Old 22 June 2007, 12:30 PM
Paul3446
Scooby Regular

Quote by TonyBurns:
"To start with, im not saying its the best looking car, but its an improvement.
"

An improvement on what? The classic, the bugeye, the hawkeye? Please enlighten us, but you'd better get your flamesuit ready!
Old 22 June 2007, 12:37 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Wink

Quote by TonyBurns:
"To start with, im not saying its the best looking car, but its an improvement.
"

An improvement on what? The classic, the bugeye, the hawkeye? Please enlighten us, but you'd better get your flamesuit ready!
Paul your just making yourself look a total moron here because if you dont see where the improvements are (like mechanically) then your more than just ignorant

As for your pevious post

Here, go look up this word, D E V E L O P E M E N T, you can look up ignorance also

Tony
Old 22 June 2007, 12:41 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

umm, hate to dispute your facts but whos cars are currently the fastest inpmreaza's out there?

gobstorber, zen performance, andyf, arn't these all CLASSICS?????

pmsl
Old 22 June 2007, 12:47 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by Tidgy
umm, hate to dispute your facts but whos cars are currently the fastest inpmreaza's out there?

gobstorber, zen performance, andyf, arn't these all CLASSICS?????

pmsl
Im talking factory standard, though if you want to, add RCM's new age to that list

Tony
Old 22 June 2007, 12:48 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Im talking factory standard, though if you want to, add RCM's new age to that list

Tony
pmsl, well i don't know if i agree with that then, sti5/6 vs sti 7/8/9/10?????

earlier ones are much quicker, so performance the classics win hands down
Old 22 June 2007, 12:55 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Why do I need to give the car a chance? I think it's ****ing hideous and it's a hatchback. If I wanted a hatchback I could have brought one of the endless alternatives.

I mean, I don't need to test drive Jade Goody to know shes an ugly fat biffa do I?

The new Impreza is as ugly as sin, and is a hatchback - A fundamental shift from a sports saloon.

It's got nothing to do with not liking change or resisting progress, or even not understanding Subarus attempted shift to the mainstream - It's to do with the fact that I DO NOT WANT A ****ING HATCHBACK!
Old 22 June 2007, 12:58 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PeteBrant
Why do I need to give the car a chance? I think it's ****ing hideous and it's a hatchback. If I wanted a hatchback I could have brought one of the endless alternatives.

I mean, I don't need to test drive Jade Goody to know shes an ugly fat biffa do I?

The new Impreza is as ugly as sin, and is a hatchback - A fundamental shift from a sports saloon.

It's got nothing to do with not liking change or resisting progress, or even not understanding Subarus attempted shift to the mainstream - It's to do with the fact that I DO NOT WANT A ****ING HATCHBACK!

so do i take it your not the biggest fan of hatchbacks then????

pmsl
Old 22 June 2007, 01:02 PM
drtchock
Scooby Regular

Ok, im going to say a word here...

I am a Subaru Impreza ENTHUSIAST as you put it... so does that mean I like the look of the new impreza? No, I hate it! And I have every right to do so..

over the last 15 years my family has had every shape of impreza besdies the bug eye..

my dad bought a classic in 1995 when i was 13.. it became my favourite car

my dad bought another classic (facelift) 3 years later

when the bug eye came out he got a lexus instead (mistake!)

then the blob eye STI came out.. he got that!

now im 24 and just bought a hawkeye STI (see view my scooby pics)

my dad is now buying a new Audi RS4 ... another gorgeous car!

ive loved the LOOK of imprezas for all this time (with exception to the bug eye).. i even had a t-shirt when i was a kid with a subaru on it...

but.. i still hate the look of the new impreza! it doesnt even look like an impreza!... if they made it a hatch so it would do better in the WRC they should have just made a whole new model and used that instead of changing the look of the impreza so drastically..

i loved the fact it was a 5 door saloon car but cud out grunt a porsche..

now its just another hot hatch... i hate hatchbacks!

im not saying the mechanics of the new car will be bad.. its a subaru! they will be amazing, and reliable...

but i want to own a car i like the look of aswell as a car i love to drive..

you know these people who say they "dont **** fat birds" ? ... this is similar.. and this new impreza is a fat bird!
Old 22 June 2007, 01:14 PM
finchyboy
Scooby Regular

I still don't see the reason of pompously trying to pigeon Holing every type of Subaru owner to try and make the point "we should give it a chance"
I can't honestly believe that you think paying subaru customer's have no right to pass comment negative or positive ( although it seem's the negative one's are the comments you have the issue with) on the new impreza's styling and that we should fall in love with it just because of the current trend for super hatchbacks.

Liam

Quick Reply: Annoyed at people slating the MY08 Impreza.