ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

diff lock???

Search this Thread

Old 30 May 2007, 12:41 PM
kieran sti
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default diff lock???

i have been having a problem with my 95 wrx wagon auto. it has been wheelspinning the inside rear wheel on cornering, such as if i turn or reverse to the right tightly then my right hand side rear wheel will wheelspin a little. (normal movement for 3-4 inches then it will do a little wheelspin and then carry on normal for another few inches...
i got my brother to watch my rear wheels when reversing last night and it seems to me that the diff is locked on the back. it seems like a fixed axle.
when i reverse with right hand down, so i reverse to the right, the right hand rear wheel does little mini wheelspins. it will move normally across the floor for about 3-4 inches and then do a little wheelspin where the wheel will spin about 2-3 inches. the opposite rear wheel will just turn normally. the same would happen in opposite if i do left hand down and reverse to the left.
i think that this means that the rear diff is locked as the wheel which needs to slip is not slipping and therefore making these wheelspins. if the diff was working properly then the wheelspinning would not happen as the wheel in need would slip.
as i dont have dccd, does this mean my diff is fooked? or is there a button just for diff lock?
if it is broke has any one else experienced this and / or changed their rear diff? expensive?
cheers
Old 30 May 2007, 01:08 PM
kieran sti
Scooby Regular

help...
Old 30 May 2007, 01:13 PM
Spec'c'57
Scooby Regular

I would give API a call TBH, well above most on here im sure.. (not all tho but defo me)
Old 30 May 2007, 02:56 PM
chrisgreenall
Scooby Regular

You are correct in your technical description that the Diff is fubared!!!