Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Evo Magazine: 'The Knowledge'. Turbo vs WRX

Search this Thread

Old 21 December 2001, 11:59 AM
Bexlee
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do you think their figures are realistic? I don't want to start an 'old v new' old argument, but:

'98- 00 Turbo: 0-60 5.4s
0-100 14.6s
Mpg 27.2

WRX: 0-60 6.0
0-100 18.3
Mpg 22.0 (& the criticism they level at the Turbo is that it is thirsty!)

Is there really such a gulf in performance? I have come in on the WRX simply because it seemed to make sense to go for a newer car, but having driven (but not owned)the Turbo on & off the track, the main difference in performance seemed to be the much smoother power delivery of the WRX. I wouldn't know about mpg!

Opinions?
Old 21 December 2001, 01:09 PM
ian_sadler
Scooby Regular

Red face

27mpg out of my MY98........ I wish

Ian
Terzo 33
Old 21 December 2001, 01:18 PM
wilf
Scooby Regular

Its a bit of both here.

The Turbo is definitely slightly quicker than the WRX but I think the WRX figures in EVO were slow. The WRX seems to take many miles to run in than turbo and Autocar have figured an older car with sub 17 secs to the ton.

In my own comparisons I have to say the Turbo is faster on the road
:-

1) Subjectively the kick in the back
2) Outright power/weight is better.
3) Ingears the WRX is pretty poor in 4th and 5th commpared to turbo which is why most go for PPP.

I dont want to open a debate on this subject these are just my own findings. I will comment though that unless you have two cars where the performance gap is v considerable in a straight line drag you will not simply blow the other car into the distance. Throw in corners and its down to driver ability and bottle.

For sheer raw driving pleasure for me it is the Turbo every time.

Old 21 December 2001, 01:20 PM
clubby
Scooby Regular

I had a 97 Impreza catalunya standard apart from Quickshift and 17" wheels, and now have a 2001 WRX.
The Catalunya was definetely faster, no doubt in my mind. The WRX does def brings the power in more smoothly and progressively. The 97 model was 208bhp against 218 in the WRX, but the WRX is about 70 kgs heavier. I also thought the WRX had more torque, to make up for the weight gain.
It feels slower, higher and the Sport seats are not as good as the bucket type my old car had. The WRX is the better car, but I miss the feeling when you floor it in 2nd gear coming out of a hair pin bend or T junction. The WRx just doesnt feel as willing and strong when you nail it.
Old 21 December 2001, 01:26 PM
wilf
Scooby Regular

Clubby

I was comparing a MY00 which has identical power and torque to WRX. Torque went up from MY97 to MY98 and then bhp from MY98 to MY99.

Out on the road the later MY turbos do feel better as you go along. My MY98 was slightly less sprightly and lacked stopping power of my MY00 - but thats another story.

At the end of the day its about a 150kg weight difference 1235kg for 4 door turbo vs 1381kg for 4 door WRX. YOu cant escape the laws of physics and the fact you're effectively driving round with two extra passengers.
Old 21 December 2001, 01:36 PM
legacyPete
Scooby Regular

Well, coming back from the RAC a WRX put his foot down when joining a motorway. My big Legacy turbo barge kept up easily.

Before you say anything, yes I know it is not the RAC anymore...
Old 21 December 2001, 05:14 PM
AllanB
Scooby Regular

Having driven both over the same roads the WRX is definitely slower and less exciting but the handling is better. Less understeer and I was really impressed with the overall ride and composure. If only it was a bit more raw and !

AllanB