Sponsored by:

Rear passenger side knocking 2004 Sti

Search this Thread

Old 17 May 2007, 03:38 AM
durry300
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Rear passenger side knocking 2004 Sti

Having read a few threads I can see that rear suspension/strut knocking is a common problem on Subarus. I own a 2004 ver8 Sti. There is a distinct knocking noise from the rear pax side. This is more noticeable at low speed and at times you can actually feel the car "sink" (not sure how else to describe it??!!) as it moves slowly. Also, recently I've noticed that when on full lock the car won't turn smoothly and jolts forward as if the wheels were 50 pence pieces!!! Bit concerned about this!! At higher speeds these probs aren't noticeable.

Can anyone help and give me an accurate diagnosis?? Cheers, Durry.
Old 17 May 2007, 09:19 AM
COLZO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like you said if you hear the knocking when driving slowly ie coming to a stop/driving away from junctions and when stopping it 'sits down' its the struts defo. Another way of checking is to open the boot and try to 'bounce' the rear, you should also hear a knock then. You should take the car back to the dealers as they know of this problem. The downside to this is there is no real fix as there is not a modified strut to replace it with so you could find it happening again. Try your best to get both rear struts changed at the same time. Good luck mate.
Old 17 May 2007, 09:23 AM
COLZO
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by durry300
Also, recently I've noticed that when on full lock the car won't turn smoothly and jolts forward as if the wheels were 50 pence pieces!!! Bit concerned about this!!
Diff maybe, reacts (tightens) differently when on full lock? Only a guess.
Old 17 May 2007, 10:03 AM
oradba69
Scooby Regular

Eish, got exactly the same problem on my Bug-eye sti. Know exactly what "sinking" feeling you are talking about. They can service the struts but it only helps for a while. Battling now to get mine replaced. Are there any aftermarket options?
Old 17 May 2007, 10:10 AM
Leedsarmy
Scooby Regular

Also, recently I've noticed that when on full lock the car won't turn smoothly and jolts forward as if the wheels were 50 pence pieces!!! Bit concerned about this!! At higher speeds these probs aren't noticeable.
The jolting is a result of the diff and is inevitable at slow speeds unless you have DCCD, where when performing slow speed manouvers like parking or 3 point turns, you can stick it into 'fully unlocked'. Basically is the diff is locked, 50:50 split, at slow speeds all the wheels are wanting to move at completely different speeds, but the diff will not allow it, so the tyres and drivetrain will judder as the tires slip across the ground. It can be very loud too, you will get some funny looks
Old 17 May 2007, 01:05 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by durry300
Can anyone help and give me an accurate diagnosis?? Cheers, Durry.
Yep, get it changed under warranty before it runs out. It's a known problem and have had all 4 of mine changed.
Old 17 May 2007, 04:36 PM
suffolkdar
Scooby Regular

Also, recently I've noticed that when on full lock the car won't turn smoothly and jolts forward as if the wheels were 50 pence pieces!!! Bit concerned about this!! At higher speeds these probs aren't noticeable.

Your tyres on the front are getting low on grip, change them and it will be fine! some threads about it here somewhere
Old 17 May 2007, 04:48 PM
durry300
Scooby Regular

Cheers for all the advice- suspected the knocking prob to be rear struts!!! Looking at getting it done under warranty but not holding up too much hope as the car's a Jap import!!! Good advice about jolting at slow speed- the car has got DCCD and diff control- will adjust this accordingly to sort the problem out. Cheers.
Old 17 May 2007, 08:00 PM
bluto22b
Scooby Regular

Not very good is it?

I think if these thinks are starting to niggle poeple its time you moved on (like I did )

Blutes (no squeaks, no rattles, no problem )
Old 17 May 2007, 08:04 PM
AudiLover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bluto22b
Not very good is it?

I think if these thinks are starting to niggle poeple its time you moved on (like I did )

Agreed. Buy and audi. You know it makes sense
Old 17 May 2007, 08:06 PM
suffolkdar
Scooby Regular

Not very good is it?

Get a life you tawt!

If I was sad (and I mean really sad) I might sign upto an audi lovers website and slag them off.... But as I have a life I can't be arsed
Old 17 May 2007, 08:18 PM
bluto22b
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by suffolkdar
Get a life you tawt! :
Be careful

You are using an anagram of a sexual swearword, you can get an infraction for that Or have you got an infraction detector

Loosen up buddy, life is too short. I like this site even though I now drive an Audi. As I have stated in my previous posts I still have respect for the Subaru marque (though less so for some of their owners these days ).

Now back on topic please...

Last edited by bluto22b; 17 May 2007 at 08:20 PM.
Old 18 May 2007, 02:16 AM
durry300
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by suffolkdar
Get a life you tawt!

If I was sad (and I mean really sad) I might sign upto an audi lovers website and slag them off.... But as I have a life I can't be arsed
What can we say suffolkdar!!?? Jealousy gets you nowhere . I do like Audi's mind, especially in my rear view which is when I usually see them I know Audi's are built well, used to own a golf v6 4motion before the Subaru- thanks for suggesting the change to Audi but having far too much fun with the Subaru at the mo!!! Take it easy and good luck in finding the Audi owners club as you work your way thru all the others!!!
Old 18 May 2007, 09:44 AM
scoobystiv8
Scooby Regular

Hi I have got a 03 STi and have had the same symptoms, The knocking is I am sure the rear shock, but the other part you are mentioning about the car jumping as you turn slowly on mine turned out to be the centre viscous unit. The judder got worse over time, to the point of when the viscous was hot, even driving in a carpark turning slowly started to sound like a cv joint clicking and the whole car shaking.

TO ADD, Have had Audis and VWs, never again, Audi ran down a hill due to faulty handbrake design, VW needed coilpacks nearly as often as fuel. Where are they in the reliability surveys????????? No where near Subaru!!!
I Have tried many different cars but always end up back at Subaru.
Old 18 May 2007, 06:19 PM
durry300
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobystiv8
Hi I have got a 03 STi and have had the same symptoms, The knocking is I am sure the rear shock, but the other part you are mentioning about the car jumping as you turn slowly on mine turned out to be the centre viscous unit. The judder got worse over time, to the point of when the viscous was hot, even driving in a carpark turning slowly started to sound like a cv joint clicking and the whole car shaking.
Yeh, looks like the rear knocking sound on my 04Sti is defo the strut(s). It's one of those probs I think that can be put off a while as long as you can put up with the bumps!!! Looking at getting mine sorted under warranty but not holding too much hope!! Will go to plan B if not and try to source a replacement.

I've DCCD diff control and have found that by altering the setting the judder on full lock at low speed isn't there!!! I hope this sorts the problem but thanks for advice re: centre viscous unit.
Old 18 May 2007, 06:39 PM
scooby,dlm.
Scooby Regular

its your struts alright!!i had all 4 changed under warranty,the front ones went also!one of my rear struts has started to drop when i pull away again.
im going to swap all mine with ebach pro street coilovers,a freind of mine swapped to those and he swears by them.
we've both got 03 sti's.hope this helps

ps,dont rise to that audi bunch,they are always at it!!!
Old 18 May 2007, 06:59 PM
pippyrips
Scooby Regular

change to AST's - my car has been quiet as a mouse since
Old 18 May 2007, 09:16 PM
bluto22b
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by pippyrips
change to AST's - my car has been quiet as a mouse since
Mmmm. until the centre vent surround starts clicking and squeaking and the door catches start tapping, the rear door cards start buzzing....oooh the list goes on. If I had kept my WRX MY02 wagon much longer I would be in a strait jacket by now in a padded cell However I am almost there as I continue to post on this forum My only sanctuary is my lovely rattle and buzz free cabin of my **** (edited to prevent upsetting certain members )

Blutes

Last edited by bluto22b; 18 May 2007 at 09:20 PM.
Old 18 May 2007, 11:19 PM
COLZO
Scooby Regular

If I had kept my WRX MY02 wagon much longer.......
Mmmmmm now here was me thinking that you used to own a 22B due to your user name!
Old 19 May 2007, 02:11 AM
anthscooby01
Scooby Regular

Had to replace both rear struts (under warranty) on my 53 plate STI. Common problem. Re above comments I currently have a 2001 Merc S500 which is the dogs bollocks but give me back my STI PPP any day. Merc is well quick and car for the stars however prefer the Scoob in every way.
Old 19 May 2007, 12:03 PM
bluto22b
Scooby Regular

Cool

Originally Posted by COLZO
Mmmmmm now here was me thinking that you used to own a 22B due to your user name!
Sorry to disappoint you. I have driven one though