Sponsored by:

VF vs GT vs TD

Search this Thread

Old 10 May 2007, 09:53 PM
easyscoob
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VF vs GT vs TD

im getting pretty confused now ive got a 04 wrx it had a td04 on it and now it has a vf34 basically months it's been on, and already im fed up with it. Im being told i should have gone for a td05 16g thingy or some sort of gt turbo which spins up at 4k revs?? but when it hits the car will fly. what is best for me i want to be able to hold my own with the evo lot. my car spec is ecutek licence, 3in system and catless open dp, unequeal headers, up pipe, injectors, fuel pump, 3 port valve, w/l a/r bar, pro-d springs, hyperflow topmount IC, IC spray with h2tek ecu (as far as i know it just keeps the spray on for 30 secs or something) d
Old 10 May 2007, 09:58 PM
renno rannes
Scooby Regular

TD05-18g would be my choice.
Old 10 May 2007, 10:11 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by easyscoob
im getting pretty confused now ive got a 04 wrx it had a td04 on it and now it has a vf34 basically months it's been on, and already im fed up with it. Im being told i should have gone for a td05 16g thingy or some sort of gt turbo which spins up at 4k revs?? but when it hits the car will fly. what is best for me i want to be able to hold my own with the evo lot. my car spec is ecutek licence, 3in system and catless open dp, unequeal headers, up pipe, injectors, fuel pump, 3 port valve, w/l a/r bar, pro-d springs, hyperflow topmount IC, IC spray with h2tek ecu (as far as i know it just keeps the spray on for 30 secs or something) d
16G won't give you much more than a VF34 (whats wrong with that set up, btw). Next step up would be a 18G

BUT

Your gearbox wouldn't last with one of these mapped to it's potential and you'd probably also be marginal for engine safety on the WRXs internals.

I'd speak to someone like David at Api or your chosen mapper and see what they recommend.

Might be cheaper to trade up to an STi, which has a stronger gearbox and internals

Ns04
Old 11 May 2007, 06:51 AM
easyscoob
Scooby Regular

i think i meant to put 18g, whats basically wrong is before i went and bought the turbo most people i spoke to raved about the vf34 - fine now i ve got the turbo and am still getting shamed by my brothers P1 340/356 and to top it all off everyone i speak to now all say i should have got this td05 turbo , im off to look at api webby looks like a vf34 is going to be up for sale very soon lads
Old 11 May 2007, 07:33 AM
New_scooby_04

i think i meant to put 18g, whats basically wrong is before i went and bought the turbo most people i spoke to raved about the vf34 - fine now i ve got the turbo and am still getting shamed by my brothers P1 340/356 and to top it all off everyone i speak to now all say i should have got this td05 turbo , im off to look at api webby looks like a vf34 is going to be up for sale very soon lads
If you're going for the 18G mate, things might not be as simple as just changing the turbo. You'll need to budget 2k for a new gearbox (either a 6 speed out of an STi, or a PPG gearset) The 18G Will eat your std box and come back for seconds! I think you should also speak to David regarding the longevity of your engine internals.

TBH With a VF34 and supporting mods, you should be getting somwhere comfortably over 300bhp/ftlbs, so shouldn't be being shamed by your brother's P1. Have you got an accurate power figure. With the approriate mods, you should be able to see 340bhp on a VF34.

Ns04
Old 11 May 2007, 07:36 AM
Neilo
Scooby Regular

it wont necessarily eat the gearbox!!!!

I had 400lbft flowing through mine on a daily basis with trackwork on a nicely mapped GT30 hybrid, NO issues. Its luck of the draw and how you drive....
Old 11 May 2007, 07:39 AM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by Neilo
it wont necessarily eat the gearbox!!!!

I had 400lbft flowing through mine on a daily basis with trackwork on a nicely mapped GT30 hybrid, NO issues. Its luck of the draw and how you drive....
Very true mate, but at those levels you're asking for it IMHO and it's better to have the dough ready as a contingency so the car isn't off the road for months whilst the poster gets the money together!

Ns04
Old 11 May 2007, 05:50 PM
easyscoob
Scooby Regular

it was dynoed on a new dyno dynamics machine very reliabe as when it was just ppp it made 243.1hp but after all this guff im now on 309 hp 325.6 torque i just thought that by having a newage getting a td05 might be going backwards instead of the vf34. my bro has a gt 307/1r or something and when i race him it's like your scoob vs a corsa or something he just leaves me standing. on a priv track over 120, it's like im standing still and he still has about 3 gears left the amount he leaves my car. within seconds his p1 classic is a spec in the distance. i may have to go on a diet
Old 11 May 2007, 08:56 PM
DANNYBOY2511
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

anyone know much about the td0520g?
Old 11 May 2007, 10:00 PM
P1 FEK
Scooby Regular

VF34 with supporting mods, prob need injectors, should see 340-350 with good reponse and spool. Also a relatively cheap option compared to the TD & GT as the gearbox and clutch should be able to handle it.
Old 12 May 2007, 01:32 PM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

I would suggest there's something not quite right with your current setup..

Who mapped it BTW as it should be producing the goods even if it's not quite as quick as a 350bhp P1 (classic= lighter) you shouldn't be that far behind..!??
Old 12 May 2007, 01:36 PM
silent running
Scooby Regular

I'd agree. If the difference is that noticeable you've got a major problem with your car. Even if there's a 50bhp difference between one Scoob and another, they're still most of the time gonna be both very fast cars whatever way you look at it - 300bhp is a lot in a road car, let's not forget that.
Old 12 May 2007, 02:31 PM
P1 FEK
Scooby Regular

Is it worth getting yours on the rollers and checked out to see if everything is running as it should and an idea of the power your running. As said above you should'd be that far off you brothers P1 unless you have a problem. The VF34 is a good useable turbo that I believe is used in the GpN rally cars, someone correct me if i'm wrong?
Old 12 May 2007, 02:32 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by silent running
I'd agree. If the difference is that noticeable you've got a major problem with your car. Even if there's a 50bhp difference between one Scoob and another, they're still most of the time gonna be both very fast cars whatever way you look at it - 300bhp is a lot in a road car, let's not forget that.
Indeed! If the car in question had been set up properly and all is well then the 350bhp P1 shouldn't be getting away easily!

I wouldn't be thinking about massive turbos etc...they may pay dividens in a drag strip scenario and at 3 figure speeds, but who often do you drive like that everyday?? What you want is a good spool characteristics and useable power.

Also, with a bigger turbo comes the cost of supporting mods: your bro's P1 has different pistons, cams to your car etc...

Ns04
Old 13 May 2007, 11:58 AM
easyscoob
Scooby Regular

theres nothing wrong with the car, christ its only done 15k. it's just from a standing start mines is marginally quicker off the line for about 20 ft then the P1 seems to just fly 1 car space then 2 then a good 10 lengths. cars been fully checked over everything is fine. it ca be mapped for more but it was decided at the time to keep at 300 ish, for reliabilty
Old 13 May 2007, 12:16 PM
silent running
Scooby Regular

Well if you don't want to take it on the rollers, then take it up to the drag strip against this P1 and you'll know exactly how slow it is. The difference between 300 and 350 bhp is virtually nothing at normal road speeds. It'll show up at autobahn speeds. If he's going away from you that easily off a standing start you've got a big problem. Have you tried swapping cars?
Old 13 May 2007, 12:39 PM
New_scooby_04

theres nothing wrong with the car, christ its only done 15k. it's just from a standing start mines is marginally quicker off the line for about 20 ft then the P1 seems to just fly 1 car space then 2 then a good 10 lengths. cars been fully checked over everything is fine. it ca be mapped for more but it was decided at the time to keep at 300 ish, for reliabilty
Well if everythings ok with the car, there's not much you can do about it mate. Certainly if reliability is important going to a significantly bigger turbo would be a no, no!

Ns04
Old 13 May 2007, 10:56 PM
easyscoob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by silent running
Well if you don't want to take it on the rollers, then take it up to the drag strip against this P1 and you'll know exactly how slow it is. The difference between 300 and 350 bhp is virtually nothing at normal road speeds. It'll show up at autobahn speeds. If he's going away from you that easily off a standing start you've got a big problem. Have you tried swapping cars?
it's been on the rollers a dyno dynamics one, evrything shows as fine, really tho i know you say the difference of 50bhp isnt much but have you tried racing an fq360? a test drive of one showed it was in a different league.

"Well if everythings ok with the car, there's not much you can do about it mate. Certainly if reliability is important going to a significantly bigger turbo would be a no, no!"

Ns04

Cheers ns04 wise advice as usual. im enquiring on new pistons etc, front mount and a second hand spec c water tank for boot and i/c spray from evo from the jap breakers. still can't get over the price of a new gearbox!! what the hell i've a spare 6grand and it's burning a bloody big hole in my pocket, and before anyone says it, no im not going to trade in the wrx for a proper spec c etc watch this space
Old 13 May 2007, 11:34 PM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

Received 82 Likes on 46 Posts

If your brother has a garrett GT3071R then no wonder he's leaving you for dead. Its atleast 450 bhp turbo if not closer to the 500bhp mark.

The VF34 is a turbo capable of around 360-380 bhp with supporting mods.

Incedently my RB5 had one of these. Two weeks after fitting I had broken 2 5 speed gearboxes. Didnt have any problems with the 6 speed I subsequently fitted.

You need to start thinking about the total package at these levels rather than just engine power.

Daz
Old 14 May 2007, 07:59 AM
New_scooby_04

what the hell i've a spare 6grand

I'm sure David at APi can help you spend that mate! He should be able to give you a car that'll give your brother's a fright!

Ns04