Sponsored by:

new 555 owner seeks help

Search this Thread

Old 05 May 2007, 07:34 PM
rafiq555
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new 555 owner seeks help

Hello you faithful scooby lovers! As my screen name may or may not suggest, my name is Rafiq and i have a 555 sti. I brought it 2 weeks ago, and its in good nick for a 1995 import, well at least i think it is. i also thought i knew a fair bit about cars and modified car until i brought japanese performance magazine. The last car mag i reliously brought was max power, back in the 90's (before it became a **** mag) and a lot has changed since then. So i need some help from you guys. Well, i say some, i really mean **** loads!

The first thing that concerned me is weather the timeing belt has been changed. I was gonna change it as soon as i got the car, but i bumped into some other scooby owner who told me to look at a sticker under the bonnet with a mileage on it, which i found. it says 7400km, and the car has now done 9400, so i now have three questions. 1. Is this sticker refering to the mileage when the timeing belt was changed, if not what is it refering to? 2. how long between timeing belt changes? 3. anyone know a cheap outlet for timeing belt and kit?

The next obvious thing it needs is a good service. I've heard mobil 1 is the best oil to use, is this right? i'm also thinking of putting in a pipper cross panel air filter rather than a standerd one. i thought KandN were the best panel filters but have been told that a oiled filter is no good as it can interfere with the ecu. i would like to swap the whole unit for a indution kit, but my wallet is already looking anorexic after the 5 grand i spent on the car. if anyone has anymore information regarding servicing parts, or any problems which they have had, please let me know.

Tyres.... I need new ones and there not cheap! i need some recomendations on which are the best (Toyo?) and where to get them on the cheap. i would also like to know what cheaper tyres are worth getting, due to the bank managers refusal to return my calls. b..s...d!

I need to get all this done in the next two weeks, as ive booked it on a rolling road. i want to see how much HP it has standard, so i know my starting point before i start my mods. i hope to get 280, but i know it could be less due to the age. it has a straight through pipe though, but with the cat still in place, which should still add a few a few horses i hope. Place your bets on the hp and i'll let you know in two weeks what the result is!

Anyway people, i've bored you enough i think. thanks for reading this, and expect another long advice seeking letter from me soon regarding mods. i'm off to find a GTI to toy with. Peace!