Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driving Games (PSX, Dreamcast,etc)

Search this Thread

Old 24 November 2000, 04:03 PM
DazV
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A little off topic I know but, I thought I'd share my recent experiences on this front:

While I've always been a huge fan of GT2 on PSX, I decided to buy a Dreamcast as there's a wealth top stuff for it. There SOOOO underrated, and this from a PSX and PSX2 fan!

I got:

Ferrari F355 - amazing graphics, dead hard, real simulator.

Metropolis Street Racer - better looking and better racing that GT2, except no customisation options (at least not that I've found)

Test Drive Le Mans - beautiful graphics, great racing.

Super Runabout - Choice of all sort of different cars to drive missions around San FranCisco - REALLY good laugh.

Sega GT - Gran Turismo for Sega, but the graphics are better and less cars.

I've got a PSX2 coming, in fact they were released today so it should be waiting for me, but I'm no rush as there's a total lack of quality games available right now. In fact there NO good driving games for it - GT3 isn't out til mar01.

Go get a Dreamcast - you won't regret it. If you're devious, get it chipped and pay as little as £4 a game! (I'm much to law-abiding to do this)

DV
Old 24 November 2000, 04:07 PM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I've got MSR, and yes although no mods, there are some wicked cars on it.. Evo being one of them

But I still want a PSX2...

Alex
Old 24 November 2000, 04:13 PM
DazV
Scooby Regular

DrEvil,

There's no question the PSX2 is the more powerful machine but right not there's NOWT to buy for it.

They even messed up ISS footie (cousin to PSX ISS Pro Evo, the greatest footie game of all time)

I was amazed at how good the Dreamcast graphics were - really smooth too.

[This message has been edited by DazV (edited 24 November 2000).]
Old 24 November 2000, 04:14 PM
stage 1
Scooby Regular

355 is unreal - glad there is a game as hard yet rewarding as driving at last. Always end up trying to man handle the cars like rallyx racing.......but then I an a cossie driver

Martin
Old 24 November 2000, 04:16 PM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Very true... also, after buying my last 8 consoles @ release date (both imported and UK versions) I think I'll wait til a) the software base is larger and b) the price comes down (as it aways does after 6 months)...

MSR is very cool, the Kudos stuff is a nice touch...

cheers, Alex
Old 24 November 2000, 04:21 PM
DazV
Scooby Regular

Martin, Alex,

check it out:
Old 24 November 2000, 05:04 PM
scoobysnacks
Scooby Regular

Totally agree.
Dreamcast has the better game at the moment by far and I won't bother with a PS2 until GT3 is out over here. Until then we'll have all the above games and ones such as Shenmue(!), Half Life, Quake 3 (for the home PCless), Jet Set Radio, Dead or Alive, Daytona (cool) etc etc. Unfortunately for Sega, the general public will probably still go for the PS2 regardless of the current quality of it's games (if they can get their hands on one)- maybe it's an image thing... Hope they wise up and give the Dreamcast a chance because I think Sega deserve it.
Old 24 November 2000, 05:17 PM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Scoobysnacks, quite agree, this time Sega have actually brought out a good machine, shame they didnt manage to get the DVD license for it...

Daz V - that truck game looks a laff..

I'm just refusing to pay the high price of the console while Sony are re-couping their R&D costs. I be waiting for the price cut

[This message has been edited by DrEvil (edited 24 November 2000).]
Old 24 November 2000, 05:26 PM
robman
Scooby Regular

Played on PS2 in the US on its launch day. A bit disappointed with the games I played (TTT and that fireworks one) so decided to get a dreamcast to tide me over until either PS2 has some great games or X-box comes out with great games.

MSR is great, if bugged to hell
F355 - rock hard but totally rewarding when you finally win a race (almost as rewarding as the first time you complete that japanese tile game
Crazy Taxi - not played much but a bit OTT in the frantic stakes
V Rally2 - santa has it in his sack for me...

R
Old 24 November 2000, 05:43 PM
NeilT
Former Sponsor

Talking

Yeah, MSR is great on DC, but if you've got a fast enough PC try "Need For Speed 4" (get it for about 19 squid now), and you can download 22b's and WRX's from
Old 24 November 2000, 06:25 PM
DazW
Scooby Regular

Talking

Try Driver2 its the business, I haven't started on MSR because of it!

DazW.

PS. Colin Mcrae 2 (pc) is due on December the 1st.
Old 24 November 2000, 08:06 PM
DazV
Scooby Regular

DazW,

Is Driver2 on Dreamcast ? I had Driver 1, which I loved and played to the end. I reckon going back to a PSX to play Driver2 would be a sobering experience. If I remember right, Drive1 was pretty slow and jerky.

Had Colin Macrae2 on PSX - nice, and loved the way the car fell apart as you drove it!

DV
Old 24 November 2000, 08:10 PM
DazV
Scooby Regular

That Need For Speed link was interesting - I never knew you could download cars for it.

I remember NFS 1 - brilliant! Since then, they've feel a little wooden in the handling stakes. Whats NFS4 and 5 like ?

DV
Old 26 November 2000, 11:57 AM
sonu
Scooby Regular

Question

Guys,

what car games show the 'old' Nurburing circuit?

Thanks

Sonu
Old 26 November 2000, 06:04 PM
DazV
Scooby Regular

Which platform ? (PC, Sega, Sony ?)

I recommend the PC's finest driving simulator - Grand Prix Legends. It has the old Brands Hatch, Nurburgring, etc...

Make sure you get the patch for OpenGL or Direct3D though - it speeds the graphics up to super-smooth.
Old 26 November 2000, 10:02 PM
Mr.Cookie
Scooby Regular

Daz

Colin McRae 2 is not out until the 8th December according to Gameplay shop in kingston.

Si
Old 27 November 2000, 10:18 AM
DazW
Scooby Regular

Talking

Si,

I checked their website earlier this month and it was the 1st, but just checked and it is the 8th, oh well another week for some multiplayer action!

Daz,

I've got access to Dreamcast and PS2 and "another console" at work, and virtually every driving game available, but the most popular game in the office at the mo' is Driver2 - It hasn't got the gfx but its definitely got the gameplay and 'feel'. I'll try and find out about a Dreamcast version, as I don’t hold out much hope for the PC version. (PC Driver was cack due the loss of 'feel'!)

DazW.
Old 27 November 2000, 10:41 AM
Squizz
Scooby Regular

Wink

I've played just about all of 'em, but none of them surpass the original 3DO version of Need for Speed.

I was so looking forward to the PSX version, especially with the "link" option. That was the only thing that could have made it better.

What happened? Inferior graphics, wooden handling, bizarre/crap non-realistic landscapes.

(Sigh).
Old 27 November 2000, 10:56 AM
Mr.Cookie
Scooby Regular

Talking

AAAAArrrrrrgggghhhhh

Sorry DazV and DazW just realised there's two of you

Si
Old 27 November 2000, 11:30 AM
scoobysnacks
Scooby Regular

Wink

DazW,
So you've got an X-BOX dev kit then? Any good?
Old 27 November 2000, 11:38 AM
DazW
Scooby Regular

Wink

Scoobysnacks,

That would be telling!

DazW.
Old 27 November 2000, 11:41 AM
Scrappypower
Scooby Newbie

Thumbs up

The Dreamcast has always been a good machine, since it was lanched back on 14/10/99. I now have a PS2 and Dreamcast and its the Dreamcast which allows free net access and online gaming right now. A shame that some people are only just realising
how good a machine it is. Some great games in the pipeline but Sega will have to compete hard with Sony to keep themselves strong. I agree both MSR and F355 are excellent!!
Old 27 November 2000, 12:06 PM
DazV
Scooby Regular

Mr Cookie,

When I mentioned Colin Macrae 2, I was referring to the PSX version. Good game, but there's much better stuff around.

DV
Old 27 November 2000, 12:18 PM
Mr.Cookie
Scooby Regular

Talking

LOL sorry Daz was'nt saying that but you got a post 7 up from here with a ps reading "PS. Colin Mcrae 2 (pc) is due on December the 1st"

Si
Ps Your quite right though psx version kicks ****
Old 27 November 2000, 01:32 PM
DazV
Scooby Regular

Squizz,

No exactly what you mean about the 3DO verison of Need For Speed. I loved that game. Probably the nearest I've come to seeing something similar is...

Super Runabout San FranCisco Edition on Dreamcast - the scenery is brilliant, plust you get Ferrari's, Police Cruisers, Limosines, Pick Up Trucks, Ambulances, Mopeds and Harley's to drive. Bit like Midtown Madness but much better.

There's one mission set on Alcatraz where you must pick up the chief of police who's held in a prison cell, then escape buy driving off a ramp, over the sea and into an escaping ferry - coool! Give it a whirl.
Old 27 November 2000, 01:34 PM
DazV
Scooby Regular

If anyone's interested I've got an un-opened brand spanking new Playstation II for sale arriving this week in PC World for me.

...but I will want silly money for it if anyone's mad enough.

DV
Old 27 November 2000, 03:25 PM
pat
Scooby Regular

DazV,

I'll give you 50p for it. LOL. :-)

But seriously, I'm a bit of a nut-case, I bought a PlayStation for one reason, Colin McRae Rally 2 (why wasn't it out on the PC at the same time?). Anyway, I was tempted by the PS2, that was until I learnt that it did NOT have force feedback :-( Ho hum. So I'll just wait another extra 8 days (it would seem) to get a copy of CM2/PC and have force feedback again. Whe-hey! :-)

Cheers,

Pat.
Old 27 November 2000, 03:36 PM
Stef
Scooby Regular

Whilst 'Driver 2' is undoubtedly a great looking and immersive game, it is simply too easy. I managed to complete it in less than two days. OK, this is probably about 10 hours of solid gameplay, but I wasn't even able to complete the last mission on the original 'Driver'!!! There are only two missions in the new game which gave me any real trouble. It does look the biz though.
Whilst we're on the subject, 'The World Is Not Enough' only took 6 hours to complete, but again looks and plays great. If you get it, I suggest you start playing on '007' level rather than 'Agent'. Both these games have other options to try and lure you back, but I'm the sort of person that when I've seen the ending of a game, that's it!
I have to agree with the 3DO version of NFS being an all-time driving great though.
Oh, and if like me you make a habit of completing games relatively quickly, make sure you buy your games from 'Electronics Boutique' as they have an unconditional 10 day refund/exchange policy. Simply finish a game then change it. Lovely.

Stef.
Old 27 November 2000, 03:54 PM
DazV
Scooby Regular

Stef,

Got to admit I loved Driver 1, and yes I finished it too! My only reservation at the time was the jerk-o-vision graphics - looked like its was running on a ZX Spectrum.

On another note, I see there's a big GT3 demo on some Playstation 1 or 2 magazine this month. Not sure if its playable but it looks the dogs.
Old 27 November 2000, 04:45 PM
Stef
Scooby Regular

Daz.
I didn't finish 'Driver', but I have finished 'Driver 2'. It doesn't suffer from the same jerkiness as 'Driver'.
One other thing worth mentioning is that I actually spend most of the day at home playing games , as I work in the evenings.
These games may well give better vfm for most people that probably only play for a couple of hours a day.

Stef.

Quick Reply: Driving Games (PSX, Dreamcast,etc)