Sponsored by:

insureyour motor.com fury

Search this Thread

Old 17 December 2001, 04:08 PM
CHRIS_D
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

i know this should probably be in an insurance forum but i needed the advice/response from a wider range of scoobyneters

basically, i pranged my motor a few weeks ago (ouch, but minor damage) and have since booked it into walldonway to get repaired claiming on the insurance (£800+ approx to fix).
BUT WAIT!! check this...on my insurance documents (including the insurance certificate) it clearly states in black and white that the excess is £150 voluntary and £150 compulsory.
So to confirm its £300 before i pay the excess to subaru i phone my insurance who tell me on their computer data base that the voluntary is £250 = total excess £400!! not £300[img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]
even after they printed off another certificate at the office it, still came out as £150 voluntary, £150 compulsory

so far result is an apology and its a print error!![img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]
"we'll see what we can do but i doubt anything will be done, looks like tough luck, £400 excess sir"

so my question is:
do i have a valid argument to put forward, or do i have to cough up the extra £100??

advice is welcome

chris

[Edited by CHRIS_D - 12/17/2001 4:10:51 PM]
Old 17 December 2001, 04:18 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Angry

Well sir, we'll see about your insurance company's strength of policy after we've had a chat with Trading Standards, shall we sir?

Tell them to whistle for it.

Was your premium also a print error (should be 100 quid extra), your duration also a print error (sorry, we meant 6 months not 12), your car a print error (sorry we thought we were covering a 1.6GL)....

F. off. Black and white, you said it. Ask to speak to his manager or underwriters directly and ask how many other mistakes they have made in their printing. And don't give up. Took me 3 hours on the phone to Privilege, arguing with 4 different people until I was blue in the face, before they suddenly realised I was right and gave up.

Grrrrrr...

BJH
Old 17 December 2001, 04:19 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Good luck on this one. Insureyourmotor.com took all my details and utterly failed to get back to me.
Old 17 December 2001, 04:20 PM
juan
Scooby Regular

Have you spoken to someone higher up the chain of command?

I would have thought if they have given you a piece of paper saying its 300 quid then they would struggle to get more than that out of you, even if they had made an error.

They're bound to try it on though. They are an insurance company after all :-)

Start to get angry with them. Works for me nearly every time.

[Edited by juan - 12/17/2001 4:21:16 PM]
Old 17 December 2001, 04:20 PM
Fullonloon
Scooby Regular

100 quid either way probably isn't the major issue here in comparison to how much they raise your premium next year for claiming...
Old 17 December 2001, 04:40 PM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

In England, only two types of contract have to be in writing. One is the sale of land/property, the other is insurance.

They don't have a leg to stand on.
Old 17 December 2001, 06:38 PM
Robertio
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Chris, I'd recommend you pay the whole sum out of your own pocket, as has been said your premium will go up a lot next year, and the year after... because of this incident. Their botch up here sounds to me like a good opertunity, to say 'in that case I don't want to claim'

Trending Topics

Old 17 December 2001, 07:58 PM
CHRIS_D
Scooby Regular

Red face

argued my point with the underwriter as well
insureyourmotor.com are sendind a copy of the certificate to the underwriter to see if the excess will be £300 as what is on the certificate

robertio..as i hit a third party and they are claiming on my insurance i might as well claim anyway, ive been paying out a fortune for my bloody insurance now for 10 years with not making any claims, its about time i got my moneys worth from the bar5tard5
besides the bloke i hit (only a cracked rear light - audi A4) wants £600 and with mine being £800 plus i just havnt got that kind of money spare

its just a pity that with having the scooby (high ins group) now meaning ive not so many insurers to choose from, i couldnt get my ncd protected with this particular policy - typical eh!
ill just have to work up my ncd again - doh

anyway cheers for the advice, ill keep you posted as soon as the robbin gits get back to me

chris

Old 17 December 2001, 08:13 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Wink

Pete
Three types of contract have to be in writing - you forgot marriage......LOL
Old 17 December 2001, 08:45 PM
stevem2k
Scooby Regular

Cool

No Dave .. that one's in blood ...

SteveM

Old 17 December 2001, 09:37 PM
jason77
Scooby Regular

...it may be in blood but any thing written/stated/spoken about is liable to change and becomes null and void when 'she' wants it to

J
Old 17 December 2001, 09:45 PM
Blue
Scooby Regular

Jason77 - Written/stated/spoken is only half the story - what about what you were thinking 'cos they know that as well
Old 17 December 2001, 10:04 PM
jason77
Scooby Regular

Talking

damn... i 'm a fool!!!

erm... that was too quick fer a guy... your not a female in disguise no??

p.s. sorry to help hijack a thread guys. nearly sent this to the muppets forum there.

J