Air Filter problems

Search this Thread

Old 24 April 2007, 08:14 AM
Twinkle Scooby
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Air Filter problems

Hi Guys

I was wondering if you could clarify something for me???

My boyfriend purchased a Powertec air filter for my 2003 WRX scooby, when fitted for a day or two My car kept cutting out only in 5th gear when changing down to 4th. no matter what speed, the revs were droppping to zero, causing it to cut out loosing all my steering and brakes etc. But it was only in 5th gear, all other gears the revs bounced back up as normal.
(someone up there must love me... as I paniced and nearly wrote it off) But by the skin of my teeth I did not hit a thing and I only had my brand new OZ Racing wheels fitted that day.... lucky!! Since changing the filter back to my original I have not had any problems at all. Basically I believe the metal pipe that the air flow sensor fits to on the air filter is getting far to hot and the sensor is on over load.

Any one had similar issues? Advice would be greatly appreciated
Old 24 April 2007, 09:01 PM
richiewong
Twatful

Don't bother with an IK as they often suck in hot air from the engine bay and can kill MAF's, people will go on about oil been sucked on to MAF's but this was usually associated with the thick gunk on ITG filters, K&N and Green are only very lightly oiled and this genrally does leech off the cotton gauze.

Powertec, cheap rubbish version of the Blitz SUS IMHO.
Although these suck in lots of air they couldn't filter a house brick due to the size of the holes in them.

Unless you need a IK due to a front mount stick with a decent make, APS, K&N, Green etc and get some cold air ducting and a remap!
Otherwise stick with the airbox and a good panle filter.
Old 24 April 2007, 09:05 PM
Alan MaC
Scooby Regular

Sprots panel filter K&N, no problems with them at all.

Good Luck.

Alan MaC
Old 24 April 2007, 10:07 PM
AndyMoody
Scooby Regular

I've put an Apexi panel filter in mine. It's dry just like the OEM one. Got it from Temple TuningTemple Tuning Its the only Subaru one they do. £39.99 plus £4.00 delivery and arrived next day.

Andy.
Old 25 April 2007, 08:32 AM
S4Pete
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by richiewong
Powertec, cheap rubbish version of the Blitz SUS IMHO.
Although these suck in lots of air they couldn't filter a house brick due to the size of the holes in them.
The quality of a Powertec kit is far better than a Blitz SUS kit. Powertec are UK manufactured, rather than in China like most Blitz products. Badge snobbery leads to people paying big bucks for poor quality products.

The Blitz kit leads to very erratic air flow which can cause running problems. The air flow through the Powertec filter is far smoother due to the trumpet-style inlet inside the filter. As for not filtering a house brick, you'll find the mesh on Powertec filters is considerably finer than the mesh Blitz use, so filtration is 80% higher! They do a fantastic job at filtering, any dust fine enough to pass through the filter CAN NOT damage the engine. Would we offer a full lifetime warranty on all our products if this wasn't the case?

Regarding the running problems on the above kit, this is very strange, as the PT40-05 kit for the WRX is our second best selling kit, and several hundred of these have been supplied over the years. The issues don't sound familiar, but if you wish to get in touch we will certainly try to resolve these for you.

Pete
The Performance Company