Sponsored by:

2008 WRX vid footage

Search this Thread

Old 11 April 2007, 02:10 AM
KojaK
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 WRX vid footage

A couple of vids with footage of wrx, erhhh ,i hope STi is gonna be better!
YouTube - FINALLY - The 2008 Subaru Impreza WRX **PRODUCT INTRO.
YouTube - 2008 Subaru Impreza WRX reveal NY Auto Show
Old 11 April 2007, 02:27 AM
bpm1588
Scooby Regular

is it still 4wd? the guy in the first vid mentioned some kind of stability control.........i have a 320 bhp sti and i have never needed any driver aids apart from my right foot!....makes you think!
Old 11 April 2007, 02:30 AM
wayno
Scooby Regular

:-(

hate to say, but prefere the new evo
Old 11 April 2007, 02:44 AM
jaydut
Scooby Regular

Imprezas have always been a little bit different than anything else and that i think has always been the charm of the car.now it looks like every other car on the road and i for one wont be running to my local dealership waving the cheque book
Old 11 April 2007, 07:29 AM
Slowboy Racing
Former Sponsor

Location: 10.68 QT mile in 2007 2.33 Type R ** Current 2002 Spec C 2.33 Track prepped.

YouTube - 2008 Subaru Impreza WRX & 2.5i=
I am suprised at just how bad that is, the only hope is that when sales plumit they re think the design..........
Old 11 April 2007, 09:22 AM
D1CCY
Scooby Regular

Looks like a Mazastrcus. The only thing I like is the way the scoop is blended into the bonnet.
Old 11 April 2007, 09:28 AM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

I think we are just going to have to wait for the STi. Horrible PR from launch for Subaru, but lets face it, the standard models in the classic and current ranges have not been the ones to set our hearts on fire.

Maybe, just maybe the STi will sort it.
Old 11 April 2007, 09:29 AM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

OMG, I am still watching the vid, that American presenter guy is talking out of his bottom
Old 11 April 2007, 09:51 AM
Prasius
Scooby Regular

I like the way the Subaru America PR guy talks about how many return customers they have...

Not any more!
Old 11 April 2007, 10:13 AM
SC008Y_MAD
Scooby Regular

I can kinda see where Subaru designers are comming from, but what do they know about the owners, the people that drive and buy the Impreza.

I noticed that the hatch and probably the saloon has lost the frameless windows thats one great thing about owning an impreza as it makes you fee you are in a sports car, which you are. well you know what I mean.

Can't Subaru design a car without copying other manufractures.

"If it ain't borke, don't fix it" has been the achilles heel of the past generation Subarus and especially the Impreza. Now they have gone a step too far with this 2008 WRX. And I doubt the STi will look much better. If I am in the parket for a new performance turbocharged AWD/4WD road rally car, then I think I will move over to the dark side and buy the new Evo X. Even the entry Ralliart model that I read about in May's issue of JP mad does not look too bad.

But for the time being the best ever looking impreza is the GC and GF impreza.
Old 11 April 2007, 10:25 AM
maci
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Prasius
I like the way the Subaru America PR guy talks about how many return customers they have...

Not any more!

Agree, it looks like an everyday car, can't see returning customers at all...
Old 11 April 2007, 10:32 AM
Prasius
Scooby Regular

I'm more sure than ever now that my next car in a couple of years will probably be an Evo 8, 9 or 10 - depending on how the prices hold.
Old 11 April 2007, 10:34 AM
Going 4 400bhp
Scooby Regular

It looks like a foucs or a bmw 130!

Rubbish subaru!!!!! Sort it out!
Old 11 April 2007, 11:06 AM
funkyspider
Scooby Regular

Just out of interrest, how many ppl that are slagging it off have ever bought or are in the market for a brand new car, and how many are 'classics are the only car in the world' ppl which wouldn't have liked anything more modern anyway ?

You have to remember who subaru are marketing this at and I'm guessing its the same market with the new prospective Honda Civic Type R, Vauxhall VXR owners etc. People spending that sort of cash on a new car tend to want comfort, refinement, the ability to listen to the stereo, to take grannie out without rattling her falsies out and to drop the seats and stick crap in the boot at weekend, a friendly family car AND the ability to, every now and then, drive like you have a wasp in your boxers.

I think that it will probably do quite well in its intended market. People who love the classic for the rawness, the noise, the 'sporty' suspension etc will continue to drive what they love, but they probably wouldn't have been in the market for a new car anyway.

It's starting to grow on me (I'm old) and I can see what and who they are aiming this car at.
Old 11 April 2007, 11:51 AM
Prasius
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by funkyspider
Just out of interrest, how many ppl that are slagging it off have ever bought or are in the market for a brand new car..
Me.. if I decided to buy another new car anyhow!

I can kind of understand what your saying - Subaru want to make a car that they can sell to everyone, not just those of us who only ever look at and buy the Type-R, VXR, RS, STI, and FQ's of the motoring world.

Something I think we have to remember though, is that the Impreza is only really Subarus sales leader in the UK, and the US market is obviously far larger and more profitable.

What do they care about a bunch of loonatics in the UK when they can sell to thousands of housewives in the US?
Old 11 April 2007, 12:17 PM
bluto22b
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Its still ruddy ugly and BLAND. It does not inspire me at all. This is a worse mess than the MY00-02

Shocking

Those Nippons must have the memory of a goldfish, can't they remember the slating that car got way back in 2000?

I bet all the dealers are considering throwing in the franchise towel. In fact dealers, consider this, chuck Subaru and get yourselves a Skoda franchise: you WILL have better margins on your product and you WILL sell more cars. Skoda are the up and coming brand to look out for. Subaru dealers also have the basis to form a good Skoda retailer too, just look at the results of JD Power.
Old 11 April 2007, 12:19 PM
bluto22b
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Luminous
OMG, I am still watching the vid, that American presenter guy is talking out of his bottom
Yes please get me a shovel for all the bullsh1t
Old 11 April 2007, 12:22 PM
funkyspider
Scooby Regular

A very good point, UK and indeed european market is a very small share when compared to USA, Japan etc...

Until now the impreza has been marketed directly off the back of their WRC team relying solely on its performance, the interior trim levels hasn't really competed on an equal level with other cars in the price range. I think they are going for a wider market now.
Old 11 April 2007, 12:35 PM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

I wish they'd decided not to call it an Impreza and let the Impreza name die with a little dignity.
Old 11 April 2007, 12:48 PM
ioa1980
Scooby Regular

1st video, about 1:02 to 1:16

..and I quote..

"....front end, getting rid of that 3 piece grill, makes it much cleaner. Gives Subaru a chance to do more interesting things to the front of the car...."

..........WHAT?

" more interesting things to the front of the car"....yes, like redesign the whole lot!
Old 11 April 2007, 01:15 PM
WREXY
Scooby Regular

From what I've read UK/Europe wont be getting the rex. Just the "plain" Imprezas and the STI. No rex.
Old 11 April 2007, 01:15 PM
funkyspider
Scooby Regular

If they want to compete with the new Type R then they've got some aggressive styling to do on the STi

redH
Old 11 April 2007, 04:57 PM
Scoobyspanners
Scooby Regular

The Saloon Version looks ok-ish, but it strikes me that it looks very close to a Skoda Octavia in design.................. the blus hatch was hidious, the chrome light and strip looking like a Halfords add on, unless SWRT get this car to work and give it some street cred I can see this being the last impreza that Subaru do........ presonaly I dont think it will sale well at all, the new EVO looks a LOT better than that.
Old 11 April 2007, 05:19 PM
explore
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by funkyspider
Just out of interrest, how many ppl that are slagging it off have ever bought or are in the market for a brand new car, and how many are 'classics are the only car in the world' ppl which wouldn't have liked anything more modern anyway ?

You have to remember who subaru are marketing this at and I'm guessing its the same market with the new prospective Honda Civic Type R, Vauxhall VXR owners etc. People spending that sort of cash on a new car tend to want comfort, refinement, the ability to listen to the stereo, to take grannie out without rattling her falsies out and to drop the seats and stick crap in the boot at weekend, a friendly family car AND the ability to, every now and then, drive like you have a wasp in your boxers.

I think that it will probably do quite well in its intended market. People who love the classic for the rawness, the noise, the 'sporty' suspension etc will continue to drive what they love, but they probably wouldn't have been in the market for a new car anyway.

It's starting to grow on me (I'm old) and I can see what and who they are aiming this car at.
i got my 2003 from new, i went into the dealership not knowing much about them but loved the look of my car from the moment i saw it, but i hate to say it this would never appeal to me, if i went in the show room and saw that i'd walk straight back out, if i wanted something that looked like astra vxr i would go to vauxall, dear god what have they gone and done, could this be the end of subaru?
Old 11 April 2007, 05:34 PM
totalllama
Scooby Regular

They should have stopped at the blob eye... they got it bang on there.
Old 11 April 2007, 06:04 PM
greenonedave
Scooby Regular

I am really concerned, I quite like it ! nobody ever bought a subaru cause it was pretty, it was always the engine, handling and the overall subaru feel that made people buy them, I cant see what my car looks like from the inside, but I know its a subaru when I drive it, hopefully that indentity and caracter that subaru have will be carried over to this newer model,
long live the WRX

Last edited by greenonedave; 11 April 2007 at 06:04 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 11 April 2007, 06:06 PM
Dr Who
Scooby Regular

I think I'm going to buy one when its launched here! Nice!
Old 11 April 2007, 06:33 PM
white sport
Scooby Regular

that is fecking horrid
Old 11 April 2007, 07:05 PM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Location: MY99UK-MY02STi-MY99Type R-MY06 T20-MY11 340R-MY05 TYPE25
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Normally all new Subarus have a face lift after 12months or so This will get one before it gets to the UK US Chrysler grill

Anyway, as everyone has said the STi won't be this bad.......... surely they'll fix it !!!!

........... they wouln't just fit a crappy spoiler .... gold wheels... blue door cards and 50hp and call it an STi would they
Old 11 April 2007, 07:14 PM
Robocop
Scooby Regular

Or the alternative YouTube - EvoX/Lancer PRODUCT PREVIEW!!

Quick Reply: 2008 WRX vid footage