Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Forester STi owners (or have you driven one!)

Search this Thread

Old 23 February 2007, 08:45 AM
Avalyn
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Forester STi owners (or have you driven one!)

Hello,

It's been a long time since I posted a thread but somehow the works firewall now allows Scoobynet through

Anyhow, I about to pick up a Forester STi in the next week or so. I've driven a few XT's and loved them (apart from a slight woolly feeling and lack of grip) so thought the STi would suit me perfectly.

I've done the Impreza thing for the moment (had MY98 saloon, MY00 wagon with a few mods and currently drive an MY05 Wagon with PPP) and basically wanted a change, feels like I've been staring at the same dashboard for about 7 years now

I'm picking up an 06 Forester Sti with Litchfield Performance Pack soon and really wanted to know from really anybody who's driven one or owns one what they are like.

Is it comparible to an STi PPP in a straight line? How is it rounds the twisties (tm scoobynet)? What's the interior like? What is the stereo speakers like?

I know I maybe should have actually seen the car before buying it but it's about 450 miles away so wasn't just a Sunday drive (I have seen 4 exterior pics though!).

Like yourselves I'm probably a bit of a geek so no piece of information is too small!

I've a week or so before picking it up, there not a lot of information online so please let me know your thoughts (good or bad).

Cheers,
Avalyn.
Old 23 February 2007, 08:53 AM
velma
Scooby Newbie

foresters look stupid thats the only problem
Old 23 February 2007, 09:03 AM
Martin WRX22
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Avalyn
Hello,

It's been a long time since I posted a thread but somehow the works firewall now allows Scoobynet through

Anyhow, I about to pick up a Forester STi in the next week or so. I've driven a few XT's and loved them (apart from a slight woolly feeling and lack of grip) so thought the STi would suit me perfectly.

I've done the Impreza thing for the moment (had MY98 saloon, MY00 wagon with a few mods and currently drive an MY05 Wagon with PPP) and basically wanted a change, feels like I've been staring at the same dashboard for about 7 years now

I'm picking up an 06 Forester Sti with Litchfield Performance Pack soon and really wanted to know from really anybody who's driven one or owns one what they are like.

Is it comparible to an STi PPP in a straight line? How is it rounds the twisties (tm scoobynet)? What's the interior like? What is the stereo speakers like?

I know I maybe should have actually seen the car before buying it but it's about 450 miles away so wasn't just a Sunday drive (I have seen 4 exterior pics though!).

Like yourselves I'm probably a bit of a geek so no piece of information is too small!

I've a week or so before picking it up, there not a lot of information online so please let me know your thoughts (good or bad).

Cheers,
Avalyn.
I`d be interested also in any feedback mate.

I`m still tempteted, I dipped out last June & got a 06 STI with PPP.

I want to change it by this June and that Car is near thew top of my list.
Old 23 February 2007, 11:37 AM
obi
Scooby Regular

Avalyn,

As you've had one stupid response, here's a useful one.

Subaru Forester Owners Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Look in the european section.

Regards

Obi

Last edited by obi; 23 February 2007 at 11:38 AM. Reason: missed a bit
Old 23 February 2007, 11:59 AM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by velma
foresters look stupid thats the only problem
You wouldn't say that if you saw an STi Forester in the flesh. They are great, wifey wants to sell my kidneys to buy one
Old 23 February 2007, 12:55 PM
Avalyn
Scooby Regular

I am on dialysis as we speak
Old 23 February 2007, 07:44 PM
Janspeed
Scooby Regular

Hi,

I wanted to buy a Forester STi, so I phoned Litchfield after a good look at the video and the specs.

Unfortunately they only have right-hand drive versions imported directly from Japan so I nearly cried because I need a lefthand drive one..........sincerely, I would have made the monetary effort to have such an amazing unique piece of hardware in my garage!

A black STi in my rearview mirror would make me think twice about picking a fight with it!

Thanks

BTW - great buy, enjoy the crap out of yourself!

Last edited by Janspeed; 23 February 2007 at 10:54 PM. Reason: type-o as usual
Old 23 February 2007, 07:46 PM
Janspeed
Scooby Regular

Is it any one of these?

Litchfield Imports

Oh and I did drive a 260 BHP 2004 version, Prodrive kit.

It went like stink, loved it!!!!

Last edited by Janspeed; 23 February 2007 at 07:49 PM.
Old 23 February 2007, 10:50 PM
Col Stone
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

This is my 2006 FSTI

Name:  Rearhidden.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  80.0 KB

Name:  NewMods001.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  131.6 KB

They are brilliant as are rare and nobody knows what they are so you catch people out
Room for the camping gear,family and mountain bikes.
I had Impreza's for 8 years before this, the main difference is the low down torque you only need to rev to 4500 rpm! But with the torque and tall gearing you dont realise how fast your going until you see the speedo.
The handling is great too with plenty of feeling.If you push to hard the front just starts to wash out. I've also got the Litcho performance pack on mine the miltek sounds great ! Also got the AST coilovers, 2 piece STI splitter, STI titanium strut brace, prodrive battery clamp and oil cap,defi's,zero sports air intake pipe and an STI rear diffuser (to fit next week)
Hope you love yours as much as I do
Cheers Col
Old 23 February 2007, 10:56 PM
Janspeed
Scooby Regular

Basterd!!!

Enjoy!! Nice car BTW!!
Old 24 February 2007, 12:19 AM
ricardo
Scooby Regular

Coming a bit late to this particular thread...

Fantastic car, no uglier than the Impreza STi but considerably more useful.
I'm on my second one.
Old 24 February 2007, 02:04 AM
Janspeed
Scooby Regular

Second one? Good man!
Old 24 February 2007, 07:45 AM
Anger
Scooby Regular

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

I was looking at Cols at a meet a few weeks ago and it looked stunning in Blue

Ive been out in Fulham71's of here loads of times and i cant believe how well they go and they get so much attention of everyone as they havnt got a clue what just blew them away

Great Scoobs i want one
Old 24 February 2007, 11:57 AM
Bartop
Scooby Regular

Great cars - 90% of the fun of an Sti, 150% of the practicality, 1000% more stealthy, and very moddable as most impreza bits will go on..

Some very worthwhile simple mods to the handling make all the difference..
Old 24 February 2007, 03:32 PM
Simes777
Scooby Regular

Good choice Avalyn

Mine has the Litchfield Performance Pack as well. The noise from the Milltek is great - scares old people.

Here's a couple of pics of mine from when it was snowing a couple of weeks ago - I decided to drive round a car park like a loon which was great fun.

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o.../DSCF0042a.jpg

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o.../DSCF0046a.jpg

As Bartop says, I think a couple of mods the improve the handling might be required - but that's about it.

Simes
Old 24 February 2007, 04:02 PM
Col Stone
Scooby Regular

Wink

Hi Simes 777 !
Does your FSTI reg end in XSK ? If so that is yours parked next to mine in the top pic My wife and I needed to drive a run in remapped car so went out in this one when we went to look at buying an FSTI. Nice car and it goes well I have a few pics of the 2 together if you want any of them at Litcho's.
Cheers Col
Old 24 February 2007, 05:19 PM
Simes777
Scooby Regular

Yep, that's right. I guess you got yours a couple of weeks before me, 'cause I was looking at that one on the website and it went to "sold" the day before I had a test drive.....

And thanks for the offer re the pictures - YHPM

I salute you

Simes
Old 25 February 2007, 01:05 AM
Janspeed
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Simes777
Good choice Avalyn

Mine has the Litchfield Performance Pack as well. The noise from the Milltek is great - scares old people.

Here's a couple of pics of mine from when it was snowing a couple of weeks ago - I decided to drive round a car park like a loon which was great fun.

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o.../DSCF0042a.jpg

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o.../DSCF0046a.jpg

As Bartop says, I think a couple of mods the improve the handling might be required - but that's about it.

Simes

Nice pictures, F-ing Great Vehicle!
Old 25 February 2007, 11:32 AM
Simes777
Scooby Regular

Thanks
Old 25 February 2007, 07:09 PM
Avalyn
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all the comment so far. Keep 'em coming.

I've just had enough of Impreza's for the mo (not saying I'll never have another) and although the wagon is quite steathly it looks the same from the front (almost) as any other Impreza so you still get folk who won't move out of the outside lane on motorways for you.

I've had 3 in a row, great fun but just a bit bored of them.

I must say as soon as I saw the Forester STi on litchfields site I knew I had to have one. Rare, will go like stink (even more so with the Litchfield Performance Pack), enough room for all the family and luggage. Still have all wheel drive for snow/rain/winter we get up in Aberdeen (another option was a 330D) and it'll put a smile on my face when I see it parked up outside

Keep the comments coming ...

What is the standard sound system like? I take it the interior is a step up from a WRX? What are the standard Bridgestones like? Does it really need the AST coilovers? When does the turbo start to kick in? etc etc

Thanks

Avalyn

Avalyn.
Old 28 February 2007, 09:37 PM
Janspeed
Scooby Regular

Just because of this thread, I'm going to buy one!

BRB! *slams door!*
Old 01 March 2007, 10:02 AM
Avalyn
Scooby Regular

Janspeed ... good man!

I pick up mine tomorrow (all fingers/toes/b'lox crossed). Can't wait .. like a kid in a sweetie shop. Also looking forward to seeing Iain's showroom so I can drool over all the modded Scoobies

Avalyn.
Old 01 March 2007, 10:18 AM
Bartop
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Avalyn
Thanks for all the comment so far. Keep 'em coming.

I've just had enough of Impreza's for the mo (not saying I'll never have another) and although the wagon is quite steathly it looks the same from the front (almost) as any other Impreza so you still get folk who won't move out of the outside lane on motorways for you.

I've had 3 in a row, great fun but just a bit bored of them.

I must say as soon as I saw the Forester STi on litchfields site I knew I had to have one. Rare, will go like stink (even more so with the Litchfield Performance Pack), enough room for all the family and luggage. Still have all wheel drive for snow/rain/winter we get up in Aberdeen (another option was a 330D) and it'll put a smile on my face when I see it parked up outside

Keep the comments coming ...

What is the standard sound system like? I take it the interior is a step up from a WRX? What are the standard Bridgestones like? Does it really need the AST coilovers? When does the turbo start to kick in? etc etc

Thanks

Avalyn

Avalyn.
Lucky man - have fun

I can answer some of your questions even though I just have the FXT plus you'll find out for yourself tomorrow

Sound system is ok - better than the impreza as standard, you'll probably want to ditch the HU first then with a decent sub (the one in the boot space is rubbish) you can get something half decent until you go the whole hog replacing speakes / dynamatting etc.

Interior - I've got the Fsti interior, black rubberised affair so in that way nicer than the normal FXT/Impreza one but the same as in the Spec C.
Seats are also almost identical to Spec C ones but a bit wider.

Can't comment on the Bridgestones although believe they are fine. You can get Toyo T1'rs or Vredestein Ultracs in the right size which are better imo.

I've also got Fsti take offs, some people complain they are a bit harsh but I don;t find that as long as you keep the tyre pressures at a reasonable level. AST's are of course nice and Karma from SF.org has been the guinea pig for these on his FSTi - the latest ones which are based on the sportline 1's i think are better than the first lot and resolve some of the problems with stiction. karma is well impressed with them and I'll do mine at some point. As to are they needed - prob not but when does that ever stop us ps poss GB on these on the go at the moment with Powerstation in the Group buy section.

Turbo kicks in quite low , from 2.5 you'll feel it - the big benefit of these of course is the 2.5 - better torque and with a remap they are real torque monsters..mine has a VF39 which is slightly bigger but with Bob Rawle map is putting down 340 bhp and 380 torques

Good luck, enjoy and let us know your first impressions !

Pete
Old 01 March 2007, 11:55 AM
Avalyn
Scooby Regular

Bartop .. I am well aware of your just an FXT from here and the Foresters Owners board. I assume the shell of your car is still original though.

I wonder what you would have done to a FSTi had you bought one originally

I'm not an audiophile by any means, the standard one in the Impreza is crap and struggles to compete with the PPP in my wagon. Turn it up loud enough to hear above the burble and the speakers distort with any bass at all. It really is crap

Sounds like the Forester is much better and I've had Iain put in some sound deadening in the rear so that should help.

I actually found the Bridgestones on my car better than the Toyo's I had before (T1-S). The Toyos seemed to lack outright grip in the wet. My main gripe about the wagon is the wooly feeling on turn in and the lack of low down ooomph. Once it's settled passed the initial roll it's OK but I'm hoping the STi steering/Suspension will sharpen things up a bit. I'm not kidding myself I will have a Impreza spec C in disguise though

The 2.5 and 6 speed box should help with the low down ooomph I'll try and make do with the 330bhp/330 lb/ft for the moment I just wondered how it was delivered.

Thanks for taking the time to comment.
Avalyn.
Old 01 March 2007, 12:14 PM
funkyspider
Scooby Regular

Mini review thingy from 5th gear...
Well, VBH thrashing it round a wet track

YouTube - Subaru Impreza STI Vs. Forester STI
Old 01 March 2007, 05:35 PM
ricardo
Scooby Regular

Regarding the sound, the Japanese unit is a 'Forester Solid Force Sound System' (!) and I think the speakers are different from the XT. I'm still using the original speakers, although the doors now have sound deadening in. The original sub and the front speakers are now powered by a separate amp under the load area:

Old 02 March 2007, 12:58 AM
Janspeed
Scooby Regular

Nice!
Old 20 August 2016, 02:47 PM
Chewy2
Scooby Newbie

Default Bonnet scoop

Hi
I have a forester sti 2001 and I'm looking for a larger bonnet scoop to fit my car without having to modify, can anyone help with either a supplier or advice.
Thanks
Gareth
Old 20 August 2016, 06:47 PM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Received 746 Likes on 619 Posts

Originally Posted by Chewy2
Hi
I have a forester sti 2001 and I'm looking for a larger bonnet scoop to fit my car without having to modify, can anyone help with either a supplier or advice.
Thanks
Gareth
I think you are looking at the impossible unless you live in australia .

Taken from a thread on OzFoz.com..........

SF Forester:

Stock scoop opening is 38-39mm
-Ultrex make a carbon fibre and fibreglass copy of the 02 STi impreza style scoop. (56mm)
-Genuine scoops are easily modified (there is a DIY in the DIY section of this forum). Genuine scoops can be purchased from Subaru direct if you are cashed up, alternatively purchasing from japanparts.com or a wrecker will cost you significantly less.
- 03-05 STi impreza style scoop (MRT??) (65mm)
-Custom 03-05 wrx style scoop (39mm?)

Comparison of multiple scoops on SF Foresters (02 STI foreground, standard scoop middle ground, 04-05 STI scoop background):

Ultrex Scoops

http://www.ultrex.com.au/subaru-fore...409ba2ea083485

http://www.ultrex.com.au/subaru-fore...y02-p-365.html

Last edited by Don Clark; 20 August 2016 at 06:51 PM.