ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Ever raced a T5?

Search this Thread

Old 06 February 2007, 07:13 AM
Norman Dog
Scooby Regular

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Ever raced a T5?

What sort of power would a police spec T5 have?

Had a short race with one yesterday and could not pull away from him, At the lights later the guy said it was an ex cop car with about 260 BHP but wasn't sure, also reckoned he had traction problems putting the power down.

Must admit they make a damn good "stealth" car - this one had no badges and just looked like a plain old white Volvo estate..
Old 06 February 2007, 08:56 AM
Alan MaC
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I certainly have raced a T5.

Sunday morning at Traffic Lights that are just before a Dual Carriageway.

An interesting Dual Carriageway as, its got lots of twisty bits.

A car pulls up half a car's length to the side of me and revs the engine. I thought fast Volvo, lets go for it.

Off we went, I lost him several times, then the Dual carriageway goes from 70mph to 40.

So I slow down to around that. The Volvo catches up and, he has an interesting feature I hadn't spotted up till now....Blue lights in his Grille, it was PLOD!

He gets out and asks what engine I have etc etc, he says I realy should book you. His passenger a Female, I think, said yeah every time we tried to get a fix on you, you disappeared!

Looks inside & sees MR SNOOPER and, his whole attitude changes, starts shouting at me and says I have one of these to "get away with committing a serious crime"

I say I call it the Equaliser, you have all this equipment so, I have this. I also pointed out that, he had baited me at the lights.

The Female said, you know you did. I turned to thank her and, she said just book him and lets go.

47mph in a 40, 3 points £60.

So yes, I have raced a T5, won 1, lost 1.

Mind How You Go.

Alan MaC
Old 06 February 2007, 09:46 AM
34srm
Scooby Regular

t5's are easily 260bhp, but feels much more, doesnt take much to get 300bhp ont ov one,
Old 06 February 2007, 11:23 AM
Mark2wrx
Scooby Regular

I used to have a S60T5 250bhp+ ,,and yes they are quick,especailly top end..
Old 06 February 2007, 11:32 AM
weslad
Scooby Regular

i had a do with one a few years back in my english scooby (97) on a twisty country road , i only left him slightly over the distance of a few miles but it suprised me how well it sort of stuck with me ........it was an estate version
Old 06 February 2007, 11:47 AM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

Quite a few of them have slightly uprated engine, running more like 250bhp. They tend to be the ARV cars due the the weight of the kit they haul around a few forces got the uprated version from volvo.
Old 06 February 2007, 11:48 AM
dashpig
Scooby Regular

Was it my imagination or did they run a Volvo 850 T5 estate in the BTCC one year a few years back that sorta shows it's not too shabby in the handling department
Old 06 February 2007, 11:54 AM
LongTimeLurker
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Alan MaC
I certainly have raced a T5.

Sunday morning at Traffic Lights that are just before a Dual Carriageway.

An interesting Dual Carriageway as, its got lots of twisty bits.

A car pulls up half a car's length to the side of me and revs the engine. I thought fast Volvo, lets go for it.

Off we went, I lost him several times, then the Dual carriageway goes from 70mph to 40.

So I slow down to around that. The Volvo catches up and, he has an interesting feature I hadn't spotted up till now....Blue lights in his Grille, it was PLOD!

He gets out and asks what engine I have etc etc, he says I realy should book you. His passenger a Female, I think, said yeah every time we tried to get a fix on you, you disappeared!

Looks inside & sees MR SNOOPER and, his whole attitude changes, starts shouting at me and says I have one of these to "get away with committing a serious crime"

I say I call it the Equaliser, you have all this equipment so, I have this. I also pointed out that, he had baited me at the lights.

The Female said, you know you did. I turned to thank her and, she said just book him and lets go.

47mph in a 40, 3 points £60.

So yes, I have raced a T5, won 1, lost 1.

Mind How You Go.

Alan MaC
at least you won
Old 06 February 2007, 12:08 PM
Steve Whitehorn
Scooby Regular

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Driven many T5s. (V70s mainly)
A great engine. They really do pull like a train. Esp in 3rd and 4th. Very good in a straight line and have lots of room in the back - so you can see why the motorway police like them. But that is about it. Brakes are just about Okish the handling in stock form is very poor. Stearing racks also tend to go on them. So overall not a great car. The T5R however actually is closer to the mark and has improved brakes stearing feel etc etc.
One of the worst cars I have ever driven is the old c60 T5 convertable - truely awfull.
Old 740s actually handle a little better than people give them credit for.

Steve
Old 06 February 2007, 12:23 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

I followed one, who was going a bit quick around the twisties near Northampton. He/she was going so fast that the back of the T5 kept breaking grip, quite funny as I was able to keep tight lines with ease. After I arrived at my destination and had left my car, I saw the same vehicle patroling the car park I thought I was going to get nicked, but fortunatley nothing came of it.

Dont race/chase Volvo T5= cop car

Andy
Old 06 February 2007, 12:26 PM
john d wrx
Scooby Newbie

Default re volvo t5

hi m8
just got rid of my 850R volvo for the scooby mine was quick rica 310 remap it would pull a house down, yes they did race them 1995-1996 btcc season the only team to race a estate car with rydell at the wheel but now owning both cars the scooby is better around the country lanes etc but on a straight my old one would murder it limited to 155 mph with traction and LSD hope this helps,so the moral of the story is unless you have serious mods under your bonnet dont make yourself look a fool..............
Old 06 February 2007, 12:34 PM
Bat-Fink
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dashpig
Was it my imagination or did they run a Volvo 850 T5 estate in the BTCC one year a few years back that sorta shows it's not too shabby in the handling department
Yes they did,cool cars in a weird way.

Theres a saloon running round Norwich in full BTCC lilvery.Never seen it myself,just pictures.

Last edited by Bat-Fink; 06 February 2007 at 12:37 PM. Reason: To add.
Old 06 February 2007, 01:20 PM
nickyrhodes
Scooby Regular

remind me not to let any volvos egg me on in the future. Saying that i didnt see a fully marked up one this morning on the motorway bridge, so what chance do i stand of spotting an unmarked lol!!!!

He must have been making a coffee, or indeed making out something to post to my house
Old 06 February 2007, 01:24 PM
rmtypeR
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Alan MaC

His passenger a Female, I think
Old 06 February 2007, 08:31 PM
Alan MaC
Scooby Regular

RMTYPER,

It was a borderline case, was it a he or a she!!
Old 06 February 2007, 09:43 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Had a banana yellow T5-R ['R' for 'R'acing!] for a week's test - very very quick [popped a turbo hose or two off!] but FWD! Bonkers!!!! At least I wasnt paying for the tyres. Lovely sounding engine and ok in a fast Audi sort of way...
Old 06 February 2007, 10:10 PM
womblerulz
Scooby Regular

the 850 estate raced at btcc was normally aspirated not turbo'd as it wasn't not allowed.... but the did have nitrus which technically was bending the rules... it was built in to the roll cage .. alledgedly.. lol it won because it had a lower cd than the oppositon..
Old 06 February 2007, 10:17 PM
farmermo
Scooby Regular

I raced a scooby in my t5 when I had it.
Nothing in it, in a straight line.
My t5 was running 285hp, but a 310hp remap is quite common.
They go like stink!
Old 07 February 2007, 10:49 AM
Steve Whitehorn
Scooby Regular

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by farmermo
I raced a scooby in my t5 when I had it.
Nothing in it, in a straight line.
My t5 was running 285hp, but a 310hp remap is quite common.
They go like stink!

Yep quick old beasts in a straight line arn´t they - especialy one thats nicely losened up after a few years.

I used to drive lots of them - several dark coloured T5s together approaching at a pace in peoples rear view mirrors - It was like the parting of the red sea infront of you LOL
Old 07 February 2007, 08:10 PM
s70rjw
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by womblerulz
the 850 estate raced at btcc was normally aspirated not turbo'd as it wasn't not allowed.... but the did have nitrus which technically was bending the rules... it was built in to the roll cage .. alledgedly.. lol it won because it had a lower cd than the oppositon..
Where did you hear that?
Old 07 February 2007, 10:45 PM
Turbo_T
Scooby Regular

My mates got a T5-R in yellow nice car and does go very well for a tank can mod them well go 2