Driving in Holland

Search this Thread

Old 12 May 2001, 03:07 PM
SWRTWannabe
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Pinched from the foreign office web site (www.fco.gov.uk).... Have a good trip

The Dutch drive on the right and give priority to the right, unless otherwise indicated. Be particularly careful when using roundabouts, on some you have the right of way when on them but on others right of way must be given to vehicles entering.

The Dutch drive “assertively” and do not practice road courtesy. Pedestrians should be extremely careful when crossing roads, especially on zebra crossings.

Traffic rules in the Netherlands are very similar to those of other countries in continental Europe. Roads are very good and well sign posted, but are overcrowded. Long traffic jams can be expected on motorways, particularly in the vicinity of the major cities. Traffic offences can carry heavy, often on-the-spot fines. If you are fined always ask for a receipt.

Exceeding the maximum speed limit can incur heavy penalties including substantial fines. Be vigilant on motorways where the maximum speed can vary. Observe the overhead illuminated lane indicators when they are in use; they are mandatory. Never exceed the indicated speed limit where road works are taking place. Speed cameras, speed traps and unmarked vehicles are widely used to monitor speed on motorways and in the cities.

Most cities have a policy of reducing non-essential traffic flows within their boundaries. Narrowing roads, obstacles, traffic lights and speed cameras are often in place to achieve this. Paid parking is the norm. It is expensive and there are insufficient parking spaces to meet demand. Clamping and towing vehicles away are commonplace and the fines are high.

Motorists must use dipped lights after dark and in misty conditions. If safety belts are fitted, they must be used. A warning triangle must be carried and placed 30 metres behind the vehicles in the event of a breakdown.

Pedestrians should be extra cautious for cyclists and mopeds, who often ignore road traffic rules. Dedicated cycle tracks are common and can be used by mopeds where high speeds are often reached. Cycles and mopeds enjoy right of way over motor vehicles.

Be extra vigilant for trams; they have priority over other traffic and are well known to exercise that right. If a tram or a bus stops in the middle of the road to allow passengers on and off you must stop.

Editted cos I missed Chelle's how to insert links class

[Edited by SWRTWannabe - 12/5/2001 3:48:05 PM]
Old 05 December 2001, 02:03 PM
Paul Swarbrick
Scooby Regular

OK, mad panic - i'm going to be driving to Holland Friday night (not all the way - got a ferry over the wet bit in the middle) and have sweet F.A. idea of what I need legally.
Green card is on it's way from Tesco insurance but what else is required for the car?? I have Morettes so can the blanking stickers be used?? Already have a first-aid kit, fire extinguisher and warning triangle (company rules!!)
Anything else???

Cheers
Paul
Old 05 December 2001, 02:07 PM
Stephen Read
Scooby Regular

Sounds like you haev done most of what is required already.

I assume that you are obliged to carry a spare set of bulbs too as I was provided with one when I picked up my new Scoob over there.

You must also remember they drive on the wrong side! ;-)

Old 05 December 2001, 02:16 PM
Paul Swarbrick
Scooby Regular

Stephen,

Thanks for that - I do have a spare set of front bulbs in the house - I uprated them all (Philips vision+ etc) but will get some rear ones tonight - just in case!!

Paul
Old 05 December 2001, 02:27 PM
SeanG
Scooby Regular

You will also need to display a GB badge, either on the numberplate (the new EU ones) or the traditional black and white sticker. Also take your insurance certificate, green card and vehicle registration documents.

Sean
Old 05 December 2001, 02:49 PM
Z75
Scooby Regular

Talking

Where are you going? To buy a car?

Have a blast!
Old 05 December 2001, 03:08 PM
barge
Scooby Regular

Dont for get your licence
Old 05 December 2001, 04:07 PM
Z75
Scooby Regular

Wink

if you have a licence
Old 06 December 2001, 08:27 AM
Paul Swarbrick
Scooby Regular

Cheers for that guys - I have got my documents sorted out and just received my new stle photo card licence last week. Registration documents will NOT be left in the car and I'm tempted to get some new plates made up and fitted rather than a horrible big sticker.
Thanks for the info on driving in Holland - sounds worse than here!!
I'm off to Holland for a weekend trip - going with the guys from TSL to pick up Graham's new MY02 from a dealer there!! 6 of us going in total and we will be meeting up with some of the local Scooby owners on Saturday evening so I think mucho alcohol will be drunk. Also, mucho alcohol will be returning with me - but not as much as that student here at Nottingham University on the TV the other evening who's who had his car (new Ford KA) confiscated.
I'm sure there will be a write-up / pictures on Monday from Trouser.

Cheers
Paul
Old 06 December 2001, 12:14 PM
Hunk
Scooby Regular

Don't apply the big ugly UK-sticker but leave it in your glove-box so you can attach it in the very unlikely event somebody wants to see it.

Furthermore i advise you to display a large homemade sign behind your windows, write one of these on it:
-Engelsman, weet niet beter en vermoedelijk pas net een beetje nuchter.
-Entschüldigung, ich bin ein Engländer und besuche das schöne Holland und ich liebe die Sprache hier!
-Nederland gaat niet naar het WK-voetbal, haha, stomme mietjes. Blijf a.u.b. van m'n antenne af.

Hunk
Old 06 December 2001, 12:36 PM
Paul Swarbrick
Scooby Regular

LOL!!
How likely would I be to get run off the road!! I'll wear my England football shirt whilst displaying the 3rd sign!!
How about a big sign saying Germany 1 - England 5. That might go down fairly well in Holland - better than the other one anyway!!

Paul
Old 06 December 2001, 12:41 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

Question

A spare set of HID's would be expensive
Old 06 December 2001, 01:25 PM
SeanG
Scooby Regular

Paul, I got a magnetic GB badge from Halfords. Sticks very firmly to boot to left of SUBARU letters. You can remove it with ease too when not needed.

Sean
Old 06 December 2001, 05:22 PM
Paul Swarbrick
Scooby Regular

Sean,

Sounds ideal - got to get some rear lights as spares tomorrow so I'll pick on up

Cheers
Paul