Sponsored by:

Model year performance differences

Search this Thread

Old 07 November 2000, 10:01 AM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I don't want to start a mine is faster than yours debate, but is there a definative answer on model year performance differences for UK cars?

Reason for asking based on recent posts which suggest the MY00 cars may not be as quick as MY99 cars . Also seen some figures posted for earlier uk cars which are a fair bit slower than later cars.

Obviously I'm looking for like with like comparisons cos we know they usually get faster with miles.

Anyone have any comments based on experiences?

Would hate to think that UK MY00 cars are pushing out less power to make the MY01 cars seem better

D
Old 07 November 2000, 10:05 AM
AndyG
Scooby Regular

My completely subjective and therefore useless reply is that my MY00 car was quicker "out of the box" than the MY98 I owned previously.

Andy
Old 07 November 2000, 10:40 AM
turboke
Scooby Regular

Cool

I had a MY 97, and when I compare with my MY98 it had a less refined engine and less good brakes. The handling wasn't as good because of 15" rims (do you remember??). But I can not tell you if it was faster or slower or if a MY 98 is a really better car...You can always find slightly differences between similar cars: not two cars are the same!!
Old 07 November 2000, 11:18 AM
dowser
Scooby Senior

Just gone from my99 to my00 - hard to be subjective, 'cos the my99 had a few minor mods to induction which have not been done on the my00 yet. However.....

The my00 seems to pull harder at lower revs and the turbo has a different note. I've not tried harder driving yet, 1st service tomorrow!

The pick up is not quite as quick - but I believe this is down to the induction mods on the my99 which I'll replicate on the my00.

But I'll also be adding a PPP to the my00 - so I'd *hope* it will be a little quicker than the old my99

Richard
Old 07 November 2000, 11:50 AM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Unhappy

I had a MY99 std UK turbo which was 'as you would expect' as regards performance, now I've got a MY00 (with aircon)and it seems a tad slower/more progressive or less brutal in power delivery.

Is there any difference in engine or ECU design between MY99 and 00? I could not see anything on the official promotional material to suggest that changes had been made.

It has done less miles (4K)but the MY99 felt much faster at the same miles. I have put in a tankfull of SUL and I will try an ECU reset to see if it changes. I will also be at the rolling road shootout to get a BHP comparison point.

F
P.S. SUL is all that's left in MK! obviously all the poor people can't afford the expensive stuff haw haw! (by the way I was just kidding before any one takes offence)
Old 07 November 2000, 07:38 PM
merlin
Scooby Regular

Checkout the rolling road test results at