Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

99000 mile uk scooby-to buy or not??? help!!

Search this Thread

Old 08 November 2006, 10:32 AM
bazal75
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99000 mile uk scooby-to buy or not??? help!!

i want a scooby and have found an s reg uk car, full stamped history, green (as most uk cars are!!!) with full sti kit added, konis, big wing, origional twin pipe exhaust. i need some help as it has 99000 miles:
is this too much??
what should i look out for??

Please any responce would be help full.
Old 08 November 2006, 10:38 AM
monkeyboy840
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bazal75
i want a scooby and have found an s reg uk car, full stamped history, green (as most uk cars are!!!) with full sti kit added, konis, big wing, origional twin pipe exhaust. i need some help as it has 99000 miles:
is this too much??
what should i look out for??

Please any responce would be help full.

i'd take a decent mechanic with you as a first. or someone who knows loads about scoobs.

listen for knocking sound on the engine when cold. could be piston slap/big end probs. if engine has been warmed up before you arrive ask why? sometimes its a sign things are not all right when starting from cold ie knocking noises.

test drive it....

dont be driven you drive. when your being driven you cant feel all the potential problems with it. see if it pulls to one side under braking normal driving etc.

if driven normally 99,000 miles is no probs but to be honest a scoob will never have been driven properly as it is what it is

dip the oil etc.. amazing how many peope dont do this.

not sure of exact problems on that model/year etc but somebody on here will be able to help i'm sure
Old 08 November 2006, 10:42 AM
bazal75
Scooby Newbie

thanks for the advice mate!!
Old 08 November 2006, 10:56 AM
Nick_Cat
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I would say be driven and drive.
When you're being driven it a) gives you the opportunity to listen out for any odd noises. Remember when test driving a car you're not familiar with it can be very hard to listen and watch out for problems while also getting to grips with the set up and...
b) allows you to assess how the owner drives the car - very important! Did he thrash it when cold, if so such unsympathetic behaviour will have caused premature wear to engine and turbo. Try to assess his general attitude to the car - an enthusiastic but careful owner would be reasonable.

HTH
Nick
Old 08 November 2006, 10:57 AM
monkeyboy840
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Nick_Cat
I would say be driven and drive.
When you're being driven it a) gives you the opportunity to listen out for any odd noises. Remember when test driving a car you're not familiar with it can be very hard to listen and watch out for problems while also getting to grips with the sert up and...
b) allows you to assess how the owner drives the car - very important! Did he thrash it when cold, if so such unsympathetic behaviour will have caused premature wear to engine and turbo. Try to assess his general attitude to the car - an enthusiastic but careful owner would be reasonable.

HTH
Nick

good advice matey. like your idea
Old 08 November 2006, 11:09 AM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

I have never once been in a scooby that doesn't 'knock' a little when cold. If it dissappears, it is NOT big end failure, just the common 'piston slap'.
These pistons a designed to fit properly when warm, not cold.
Old 08 November 2006, 11:22 AM
AlloyUK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chrispurvis100
I have never once been in a scooby that doesn't 'knock' a little when cold. If it dissappears, it is NOT big end failure, just the common 'piston slap'.
These pistons a designed to fit properly when warm, not cold.
thanks for that.
Old 08 November 2006, 11:25 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Piston slap isn't a problem - as long as the noise goes away when warm it's ok.

at 90,000 the car should have had a C&D service - which is a biggie - cam belt, new plugs, all fluids replaced etc - Don't just rely on a service stamp, see an invoice - if there is no invoice, phone the garage that has stamped the service book and ask them what service was carried out - they will have it on record.

Look at the exahust and see if there is an excessive white smoke, or any blue or black smoke, if there is - avoid.
Old 08 November 2006, 11:47 AM
scoobynut555
Scooby Regular

When I bought my last scooby it was a 96 uk car with PPP, had 99K on it and a FSSH. Had it for a year and never missed a beat.

Had it on the rollers and gave 247 BHP not a pony lost in 10 years.

As long as the car has had regular oil changes chances are it will last a while.