Sponsored by:

UK warranty - can now extend years 4-5 and beyond

Search this Thread

Old 05 November 2000, 11:27 PM
RobScreene
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

I think this is significant news for UK MY97/98/99 owners...
I recently found out through my local Dealer (Lancaster Pangbourne) that Subaru UK are now allowing the 3 year warrenty to be extended.

This will allow me to continue to enjoy a risk free, warranty covered car, without taking the huge depreciation hit required to buy a newer one.

I think the mailings are unreliable so here's what I found out:

The pricing depends on if your car is to be covered beyond 60K miles and if the warranty is to be extended for one year (year 4) or two.

e.g.
On my Nov-1997 Impreza Turbo, it just cost me £388 for two years cover (until Nov-2002 or 60K miles reached) I'm currently on 43K miles and don't expect to do a lot of mileage over the next 6 months, so this limit is fine. One year (year 4) cover, under 60K miles appeared less good value at £256.

Points to note:
1. If the car is still within warranty, cover can be extended without a checkover which is charged extra.

2. The warranty is transferrable, like the existing 3-year one. You just have to send off a form on sale (within 2 weeks).

3. This could be a small but useful selling point, especially when secondhand prices fall to a point where there is a significant marketplace of private buyers who may be looking to take a risk of buying the car directly without a dealer warranty for a significant saving.

4. Cover is extensive, it looks similar to the year 2 and 3 of the Subaru UK original many of us know and love (dump valve, piston slap short block replace, headlamp adjustment replace unit, rear brake disks replaced, shock absorbers replaced, etc).

5. Subaru recovery breakdown assistance is included. Again, this include a courtesy car delivered while your Scooby is ill.

6. If memory serves, cover for years 4-5 over 60K miles was around £525.

I hope this is of use.
regards,
Rob.

[This message has been edited by RobScreene (edited 05 November 2000).]
Old 06 November 2000, 12:30 AM
PhilH
Scooby Regular

Talking

Sorry but got to ask the obvious question...

Why don't IM wake up and offer a similar scheme for extending the 1 year EU UK Spec import warranties and make a killing from the many hundreds of official Subaru serviced cars already in the UK??

Go on IM give us an answer otherwise its clear you're just holding out over sour grapes rather than making a sensible business decision!

[Flame proof jacket on]

Old 06 November 2000, 09:33 AM
AWD
Scooby Regular

Cool

Not bad at all...

Cheers Rob
Old 06 November 2000, 01:00 PM
banshi
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the update Rod.
I was talking to a dealer about this proposal a few months ago and it was expected to relate to "Subaru Approved Cars". So the plan was... sell the car to the dealer and purchase it back with the extended warranty donating thirty quid to cover admin!

Many posts complain about unhelpful dealers so maybe I'm just lucky. Anyway now it's a proper extended warranty I've another £30 beer money

Phil, IM are not notorious for sensible business decisions but unless they are planning to give up new car sales and concentrate on warranty administration this must be one of them.

Buy an import save 4k pay 500 or so for worry free motoring, I would ......

B
Old 06 November 2000, 02:53 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Nice one!