WRX PPP vs STi (PPP)

Search this Thread

Old 01 November 2006, 10:15 AM
dreamer_girl
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WRX PPP vs STi (PPP)

Hi

Following on from a thread of mine ages ago, I finally test drove the STi PPP yesterday (06) and absolutely loved it

I think the dealer is asking too much for their demo car, but that's another story.

Anyway - looking at the prices involved, I can't help thinking that a WRX with the PPP on it would be a lot cheaper and probably cheaper to run as well (and less obvious than the STi).

Has anybody got experience of them both? What is the 5 gear WRX like vs a 6 gear STi?

Also, does anybody know a dealer in the South East that has a PPP WRX available for test drives.... ??

Thanks in advance !

JO
Old 01 November 2006, 12:39 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

ASFAIK, the STi is, of course, quicker, but the the WRX PPP is already about 265 PS, depending on model year, which is quick enough for most. A big improvemnet on the std WRX.

The STi PPP is the one to go for if you want to mod the car further.
Some folk find the supension too stiff and the 6 spd box a pain - constant gear changes. More raw than the WRX PPP.

The WRX PPP is a good daily driver. Good supension setup with Prodrive springs, good performance.

Really, the choice is between the raw racer and the spirited daily driver.

Both good IMHO !
Old 01 November 2006, 12:57 PM
dreamer_girl
Scooby Regular

Thanks - I need to find a WRX PPP to test drive ! I don't want to mod the car - it'll be my daily driver, and I have a Caterham which takes up my time/money for modifications and tinkering

(PS I'm sure there were another couple of posts there, which seem to have been removed!)

I found the suspension on the STi fine, 1st and 2nd gear were quite short though, and the WRX is a bit less "obvious"..
Old 01 November 2006, 02:48 PM
markmarkymark
Scooby Regular

Hi ...

I have gone from a WRX PPP to a MY O6 STi PPP. The two cars are totally different. The Sti is faster no doubt about it - but perhaps not by a massive amount. However a major difference is that the Sti feels much more capable of handling the power, cornering, breaking etc. However, if I have to be honest its harder to drive in real world situations (e.g in traffic).

Mark
Old 01 November 2006, 03:53 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Take the Sti.

Chip
Old 01 November 2006, 05:26 PM
Luckyscoob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by markmarkymark
Hi ...

I have gone from a WRX PPP to a MY O6 STi PPP. The two cars are totally different. The Sti is faster no doubt about it - but perhaps not by a massive amount. However a major difference is that the Sti feels much more capable of handling the power, cornering, breaking etc. However, if I have to be honest its harder to drive in real world situations (e.g in traffic).

Mark
Mark,

Did you ever own yours without PPP, or did you have it from new, if not, what difference did you notice in performance etc..

Also, I know I asked you in a previous post about the fuel vouchers, which i am getting on with fine, I've found I can use them in any car, but not sure if I can give them to someone else to use (i.e the wife!), Have you tried this?

Cheers

Steve.
Old 01 November 2006, 05:32 PM
markmarkymark
Scooby Regular

Hi Steve...

Had the WRX with and without PPP and noticed that the PPP made a good difference. Had the STI from new and also had the PPP fitted from new (rather than at 1000 miles). I did this because I wanted to have burble from driving it out the showroom. However, if I compare the demo STi I drove (with gusto) to my new STi PPP (which was of course 'tight' from new), I can say that the STi PPP had much more low down grunt that the non PPP car....

However - if you read another post of mine you will see I got blasted by a T -Reg Fiat Turbo...

To be honest only used the vouchers for one car - my other car is a TDCi and I did not want to waste them on that.....

I have to say that £40 of V Power is only good for about 200 miles which is about 20 MPG at today's fuel prices.

cheers

Mark
Old 01 November 2006, 05:46 PM
pippyrips
Scooby Regular

i had a uk300 with PPP before upgrading to a JDM STI. They are like comparing chalk and cheese and the STI is cheaper to insure (even with 350bhp and full AST suspension set-up). There is a hugh difference in performance.

I use the sti as an everyday car and have had no probs at all with it - especially since the AST's. Its no easier/harder to drive in town than the wrx.

It depends on what you want but i should have gone for the STI first off
Old 01 November 2006, 05:58 PM
markmarkymark
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pippyrips
Its no easier/harder to drive in town than the wrx.
I have found that in heavy traffic I am for ever changing the STi up and down the gear box where as the WRX with the longer 5 speed gearing was less of a pain.
Old 01 November 2006, 06:04 PM
Luckyscoob
Scooby Regular

Likewise, the wrx was def easier to drive normally, it didn't suffer with tramlining on dodgy surfaces which is the thing I like least about the STi, but sometimes the WRX felt a bit too normal, which the STi certainly doesn't!.
Old 01 November 2006, 06:17 PM
Gazz300
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pippyrips
i had a uk300 with PPP before upgrading to a JDM STI. They are like comparing chalk and cheese and the STI is cheaper to insure (even with 350bhp and full AST suspension set-up). There is a hugh difference in performance.

I use the sti as an everyday car and have had no probs at all with it - especially since the AST's. Its no easier/harder to drive in town than the wrx.

It depends on what you want but i should have gone for the STI first off
Like Rob says I wish I had gone for the STI now but know in my head that the WRX with PPP is the best car for everyday use in terms of MPG and ease of driving. And like you say without the wing it is more subtle. But if you intend to mod then get and STI and a JDM at that.

Have you thought about a Spec D? Best of both worlds apparently.
Old 01 November 2006, 06:42 PM
lunar tick
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Luckyscoob
Likewise, the wrx was def easier to drive normally, it didn't suffer with tramlining on dodgy surfaces
The tramlining is almost 100% down to the Bridstone RE070 tyres, as I discovered when I fitted some new Vredestein Ultracs and discovered the tramlining disappeared completely
Old 01 November 2006, 07:32 PM
scoobydooooo
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i like the tramlining !! it keeps me awake
Old 01 November 2006, 07:46 PM
Luckyscoob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by lunar tick
The tramlining is almost 100% down to the Bridstone RE070 tyres, as I discovered when I fitted some new Vredestein Ultracs and discovered the tramlining disappeared completely
Thanks for that mate, I did wonder whether those tyres are the reason, they seem a bit 'full on' for general use.
Old 01 November 2006, 08:20 PM
Leeroy
Scooby Regular

Thanks for that mate, I did wonder whether those tyres are the reason, they seem a bit 'full on' for general use.
Absolutely unbeatable grip in the dry though!
Old 01 November 2006, 08:23 PM
Leeroy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gazz300
Like Rob says I wish I had gone for the STI now but know in my head that the WRX with PPP is the best car for everyday use in terms of MPG and ease of driving. And like you say without the wing it is more subtle. But if you intend to mod then get and STI and a JDM at that.

Have you thought about a Spec D? Best of both worlds apparently.
Don't kid yourself that the WRX will be cheaper to run than the Sti - there's **** all in it really. Insurance and fuel consumption on both is high, and servicing is similar. In fact, my m8 with a WRX PPP is paying a lot more insurance than me with a standard STi, and he's a lot older! Insurers don't really like mods , so it may be wise to check prices if you haven't.
Old 01 November 2006, 08:27 PM
Leeroy
Scooby Regular

I have found that in heavy traffic I am for ever changing the STi up and down the gear box where as the WRX with the longer 5 speed gearing was less of a pain.
Can't understand this 6speed gearbox issue on the 2.5litre Sti - I tend to change gears less than my old 5speed scoobs due to more low down pull - it seems happy to trundle along at low revs!
Old 01 November 2006, 08:34 PM
markmarkymark
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leeroy
Can't understand this 6speed gearbox issue on the 2.5litre Sti - I tend to change gears less than my old 5speed scoobs due to more low down pull - it seems happy to trundle along at low revs!
I know what you mean - but its too frantic to stay in one gear when you are moving at 10-15 mph in a line of traffic - it wants to GO !
Old 01 November 2006, 08:37 PM
Leeroy
Scooby Regular

I know what you mean - but its too frantic to stay in one gear when you are moving at 10-15 mph in a line of traffic - it wants to GO !
Agreed! It certainly feels ready to go all the time and is more of an animal than the WRX
Old 01 November 2006, 08:57 PM
dreamer_girl
Scooby Regular

I did notice that, I'd have do adjust to the turbo lag which wants to launch you into the car in front in traffic

The Type D only comes in grey unfortunately - black and I would have had it !!
Old 01 November 2006, 09:09 PM
markmarkymark
Scooby Regular

Black ... have to say that is what I have ....

I know many do not like Gold Wheels ... but I have to say that when she is washed the black and gold look the part

Mark
Old 01 November 2006, 09:13 PM
Leeroy
Scooby Regular

I know many do not like Gold Wheels ... but I have to say that when she is washed the black and gold look the part

Mark
Black and gold is my chosen colour scheme too! A bit less obvious than WR Blue and more 'knight rider'!
Old 01 November 2006, 10:05 PM
Luckyscoob
Scooby Regular

Mark
Sounds like yours is the same as mine!
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a2...hplateexcl.jpg
Old 01 November 2006, 10:11 PM
tomfraser
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leeroy
Black and gold is my chosen colour scheme too! A bit less obvious than WR Blue and more 'knight rider'!
same here i went for black,looks great when clean but it gets dirty to easy
looks even better now i tinted all the windows out
Old 01 November 2006, 10:19 PM
Leeroy
Scooby Regular

Tinted windows would look good. I may have to think about these in the near future!

So that's 4 black '06 Sti's on here so far
Old 01 November 2006, 10:23 PM
theboy
Scooby Regular

I like the fact that the WRX PPP is a bit more subtle than the STI. I have been in the STI and yes its a great car but it is a hard ride compared to the WRX. Lets face it how often are we driving on the limit, in the real world of traffic and kids in the car i prefer the PPP.

Each to there own
Old 02 November 2006, 11:10 AM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobydooooo
i like the tramlining !! it keeps me awake
Aye, you're not wrong.
Old 02 November 2006, 11:11 AM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Yep, can confirm that. Switched to 18's and Toyo T1-S's and the tramlining has completely gone. Can let one hand off the wheel now to turn the radio on without going off the road.
Old 02 November 2006, 11:23 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

mate of mine is selling his sti10. already slightly modded (decat, inductin kits, remap) and runnng 355bhp, so no more work needed, hes asking 20k for it (its silver)
Old 02 November 2006, 12:52 PM
abc
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dreamer_girl
I did notice that, I'd have do adjust to the turbo lag which wants to launch you into the car in front in traffic
Haven't driven STi (with or without PPP), but our MY05 PPP doesn't suffer noticeably from lag and certainly not a problem in traffic. Or maybe it's that I've learned to drive round it and don't notice it now; either way, certainly far less laggy with PPP. Am getting pretty astonishing fuel economy too.

And as someone else has said, Prodrive springs make a huge difference too.

Overall very happy with ours.

Quick Reply: WRX PPP vs STi (PPP)