Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Moderators - Why has my post been deleted....

Search this Thread

Old 22 November 2001, 08:46 AM
paulmon
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Angry

I posted something yesterday with the subject: Prodrive To$$ers.

I seems to have dissapeared. Has this been done intentionally and if so why.

Regards
Paul
Old 22 November 2001, 08:58 AM
ex-webby
Orange Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
paulmon

it was deleted because it was potentially libellous and could cause scoobynet to be sued.

I am unable to get to the internet regularly at present, so I may not be able to reply to any further questions.

regards

webmaster
Old 22 November 2001, 09:08 AM
paulmon
Scooby Regular

Angry

What a cop out. The power of the internet eh. Just because someone in the states is being sued everyone over here starts shaking. Nothing new there then.

OK I'll re-post it and remove the only statement that could possibly be construed as libellous.

You could at least have had the decency to let me know.

Regards
Paul

[Edited by paulmon - 11/22/2001 9:09:47 AM]
Old 22 November 2001, 09:12 AM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

This policy was in place waaay before the thread in the states came to be.

Here are a few guidelines(but they are just my opinion, not scoobynets). I did get this from a well known scoobynetter, whos name I can't mention to protect the innocent

Basically the things to look out for are statement about companies that cannot be substaniated like..

"Company X are Crap".. They are not crap, they are a company.
"Company X don't care about us".. Can this be proved (REALLY PROVED)?

things that say "I felt like they didn't give a **** about me or anyone else" is fine (although very negative) as it is absolutely true that *HE FELT* that way.

But if he said "They don't give a **** about me or anyone else" he would be making a statement about them which he cannot prove.

Hope this helps. It still might not stop the post being editted, but hopefully gives some guidlines on what to say etc
Old 22 November 2001, 09:18 AM
john&nicci
Scooby Regular

Wink

Its like the old joke.....
If you ask a copper what he'd do if you called him
a c*** he'd say he'd nick you.
If you ask a copper what he'd do if you thought he was
a c***, he'd say you can think what you like!
<OI!! Copper!!! I think your'e a C***!!!>
You get nicked!
Old 22 November 2001, 09:24 AM
InsBro
Scooby Regular

2 BB's have been shut down recently because of this.

We dont want this to happen to Scoobynet!!

InsBro
Old 22 November 2001, 09:27 AM
Veracocha
Scooby Regular

Ok, by the sounds of things we have to become very devious in order to be able to post what used to be accepted.

You now have to say: 'I think company x are crap and don't care about me', not: 'company x are crap and don't care about me'.

This is an opinion and no one can deny you that.

Even though I don't post on this site that much, I like viewing it when I am bored. Recently the politically correct stance this site has taken is a bit rediculous. People don't come here to find out what is technically legal and what isn't, they come here to discuss cars.

I for one am getting pretty sick of every other post being about what you can and can't post. Sort it out!

Trending Topics

Old 22 November 2001, 09:32 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Paul
I saw your original post and whilst i agree with a lot of what you say. The title and a couple of bits where a bit strong. SDB has got Scoobynet's best interests at heart - . I for one would sorely miss Scoobynet if it got shutdown due to libelous posts or for any other reason (I would get a lot more work done mind) for that matter.

Not trying to be patronising in any way
I understand how you feel, really i do, having had problems myself and i hope you get it sorted to your satisfaction. It can feel like banging your head on a brick wall,m persistence usually pays off.

Paul
Old 22 November 2001, 09:32 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Angry

"You could at least have had the decency to let me know."

Er, from someone who's been registered for a year and a half?

I think you could at least have the decency to respect the rules which have been clear from zzzzzzzzzz.... debates about this topic over that time.

Sorry, but the only person who doesn't have any decency in this situation is YOU.

I'm getting really sick of Scoobynetters thinking the BBS is some God-Given free-speech RIGHT which they are automatically allowed. There are a lot of people putting a lot of work into this board, and I don't think anyone wants to see it shut down by some selfish twit acting like a spoilt brat. How many times have we had this discussion over the last year? (If not before!) Mods, please can you shut these idiots up and add an extra sentence on the end of the disclaimer, saying "Potentially libellous posts will be deleted without notifying the author"?

Right, I'm calling the nurse for my injection before I carry on... and on...

BJH
Old 22 November 2001, 09:36 AM
ptholt
Scooby Regular

Yeah this policy has been in force for quite some time now as i remember scoobynet going down quite some time ago before its rebirth following various solicitors letters etc.

For those wanting free speech etc, perhaps they should post there full name and address and insert a statement in there post saying that this is there opinion and not that of scoobynet, therefore any libel action should be taken against the poster and not the medium.

[Edited by ptholt - 11/22/2001 9:39:22 AM]
Old 22 November 2001, 09:41 AM
banshi
Scooby Regular

Well said Paul.
As one of the few critical threads I've managed to read before they are deleted, other than repetition of the title I didn't percieve it to be libellous. As I recall it simply stated the spurious reasons Prodrive gave for recinding a warranty claim.

Irrespective of that. As you are not posting under a cloak of internet annonimity and are not an employee, why would legal action be taken against Scoobynet?

Old 22 November 2001, 09:44 AM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

Veracocha

The bbs does'nt take a politically correct stance. It takes the LEGAL stance. It's not the BBS that needs sorting out, it's the libel laws.

If people
A. Did'nt keep bringing censorship up again and again and again and again
B. Took the law into account when posting.

Everyone's life would be much easier

I'd love to live in a country where we could say what we liked with no fear of being sued or any other legal action being slapped on us; but like it or not we don't Therefore whether the law is right, dumb, ill thought out or not, we have to obey it and then seek to change it into something more usable.

In the dim and distant past scoobynet was threatened with legal action over a thread, and so the lesson was hard learned.

As to scoobynet being liable for an individuals posting, there was a ruling a few years back which made the publisher(in the case scoobynet) liable for the writers(in this case the poster) threads.

Hope this helps, if not tuff

[Edited by Neil Smalley - 11/22/2001 9:48:51 AM]
Old 22 November 2001, 09:47 AM
EvilBevel
Scooby Regular

Banshi, because Scoobynet (well, its owner) in legal terms is the "publisher" of your opinion.
Old 22 November 2001, 09:57 AM
Shark
Scooby Regular

All I'm going to say is what I've said before - all BBS's should get together and force the to$$ pot of a government to change the law and make the poster liable for his/her comments.

Opps - are the government going to sue me now
Old 22 November 2001, 09:58 AM
banshi
Scooby Regular

Angry

Thank you for that information gentlemen.

So it looks like the only way I can find out about crap service/products is to experience it first hand. Then ensure I keep quiet and allow numerous others to suffer the same fate
Old 22 November 2001, 10:00 AM
banshi
Scooby Regular

No Shark they'll sue Scobynet
Old 22 November 2001, 10:02 AM
Shark
Scooby Regular

It's so siple realy banshi -

Post facts and only facts and no one will have a problem.

Ie - I went to Lavender Hill to have my car serviced on the 21st of Nov at 9am, they told me it would be ready by 4pm. When I arrived at 4pm it was not ready till 6pm.

No one will have a problem with posts like that. Opps, except me, I'm off to sue myself

[Edited by Shark - 11/22/2001 10:02:40 AM]
Old 22 November 2001, 10:03 AM
Shark
Scooby Regular

Wink

opps I'm mean sue scoobynet, thanks for that banshi
Old 22 November 2001, 10:10 AM
EvilBevel
Scooby Regular

So it looks like the only way I can find out about crap service/products is to experience it first hand

Again no ... people can post anything they want to. But they have to be careful with the wording. Neil just explained what to look for.
Old 22 November 2001, 10:18 AM
paulmon
Scooby Regular

Hold on a minute, I posted facts the only contentious issue was that I called them a bunch of to$$ers. I accept now that this was not the right thing to do but in the heat of the moment I lost my rag. We are all guilty of this from time to time.

The only reason I posted in the first place was to share the information with the rest of the community that highlighted the lengths some companies will go to get out of paying for a valid warranty claim.

If I had the time and the search function worked properly I'm sure I could find a number of other posts where the content was much more libellous than mine.

At the end of the day what is the point of having a forum, when opinions/experiences cannot be shared.

Regards
Paul
Old 22 November 2001, 10:25 AM
Boost II
Scooby Regular

Shark,
Your previous post is tempting fate too much for me to resist....

I rang Lavender Hill a couple of Fridays ago and arranged a pick up of some mudflaps on the next saturday morning. I was told no problem if I turned up before 2. After driving a considerable distance I arrived at 12. Ended up going home empty-handed because nobody knew what I was on about. To make matters worse my girlfriend suggested I take her to the Brand Centre since we were nearby.

This is true and To55 has not been mentioned yet.

Bring on the Lawyers
Old 22 November 2001, 10:32 AM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

Smile

To nearly Everybody(cept Theo, who already said it)

Nobody is saying you can't express an opinion or share experiences. Only that they have to be provable and non liblelous

If you have no proof to an allegation then you really ought not to make it, not just for scoobynets sake, but for the chances of your grievance actually getting somewhere.

See the guidelines above for an idea of what's OK IMHO

Paul, I'm sure there are several threads that have slipped thru the net but there are more moderators now and so less chance of one slipping through the net.

Old 22 November 2001, 10:33 AM
Shark
Scooby Regular

Talking

Right thats it I'm sueing scoobynet

Boost, if your serious give me a call on 020 8363 3456 and I'll make sure it's sorted out.

Shame you had to go to the brand centre - what a nightmare

David
Old 22 November 2001, 10:37 AM
Veracocha
Scooby Regular

ok, point taken.

The responses from people here seem to be very reasonable and level headed. The law has gone barmy these days, and that isn't scoobynets fault.

Paulmon, you can share experiences etc, just be carefull how you describe them!
Old 22 November 2001, 10:46 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Question

I've never really been clear about the burden of proof. If I post saying Neil a plonker, and he decides to sue me for libel, do I have to prove that he is a plonker, or does he have to prove that he is not?

Disclaimer: The above statement is purely for demonstration, and I do not wish to imply in any way that anyone called Neil is a plonker
Old 22 November 2001, 10:51 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking

FB - don't worry about it mate, the facts are indisputable
Old 22 November 2001, 10:58 AM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

Talking

Thanks guys [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

Cya later, or maybe not [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]
Old 22 November 2001, 01:06 PM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Soz Neil - it was a seriuos question. Maybe just a bad example?
Old 22 November 2001, 01:21 PM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

Talking

So'k FB only kidding. Did'nt you see the happy smiley at the top of the post?

And just when I was about to sue you
Old 22 November 2001, 01:21 PM
MichelleWRX1994
Scooby Regular

Wink

Hmmm, it is frustrating not to be able to vent exactly what you want to say, but lessons in diplomacy would be good and how to phrase things in a non-libelous way.

I know at times I can be less than diplomatic in what I write.......oh okay all the time

Some people will interpret things one way - others another way.....one person may say that a post sounds one way, another will dispute it blah, blah...blah.....

At the end of the day, I don't want to lose Scoobynet for one, a little more care when posting stuff never hurt anyone did it?

Michelle

Quick Reply: Moderators - Why has my post been deleted....