ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Is my Bug a slug?

Search this Thread

Old 25 October 2006, 11:44 PM
Echo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is my Bug a slug?

I was driving my 02 bug with decatted PPP following a friend in his Alfa 3.0 V6 on the motorway the other day and then I decided I should get past. Naturally he decided to try to keep up and the problem is that he did. He mentioned that I had some visible puffs of smoke on gearchanges too but possibly the decat has something to do with that?

Anyway, is this performance about right or am I driving a slug around?

BTW, my Fabia vRS nips along great but the Scoob is another planet so it's not exactly slow but maybe it's not exactly right either. Any feedback is very welcome!

Mike
Old 26 October 2006, 11:04 AM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by Echo
I was driving my 02 bug with decatted PPP following a friend in his Alfa 3.0 V6 on the motorway the other day and then I decided I should get past. Naturally he decided to try to keep up and the problem is that he did. He mentioned that I had some visible puffs of smoke on gearchanges too but possibly the decat has something to do with that?

Anyway, is this performance about right or am I driving a slug around?

BTW, my Fabia vRS nips along great but the Scoob is another planet so it's not exactly slow but maybe it's not exactly right either. Any feedback is very welcome!

Mike
Figures for Alfa 3.0 V6

0-60 0-100 60-100
6.32 15.53 9.21

03 WRX PPP

5.24 14.24 9.00

Look at the 60-100 times for both cars. I'd say the outcome was about right. Big engined cars can give a rice rocket something to think about when you get above 70mph which they all get to very quickly.

If you've had the PPP spec WRX decatted without a further remap though, you wont be getting the full benefit out of your mods.

Ns04
Old 26 October 2006, 11:40 AM
markmarkymark
Scooby Regular

I can not comment on your particular case, but I have a MY06 STi PPP which was totally annihilated by T reg Fiat coupe (turbo). We both hit some dual carriage way at the same time and I had every intention of ‘pushing him over’ so I could overtake. He had none of it – left me for dust….
Old 26 October 2006, 11:54 AM
Marko2101
Scooby Regular

a fiat coupe?!!! must have been heavily moded.
here are the figures for the 20l 20v turbo coupe. The Global Car Locator Technical data 1996 Fiat Coupe 2.0 20v Turbo
they are ok but not quick enough to blitz an Sti PPP
Old 26 October 2006, 11:57 AM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by markmarkymark
I can not comment on your particular case, but I have a MY06 STi PPP which was totally annihilated by T reg Fiat coupe (turbo). We both hit some dual carriage way at the same time and I had every intention of ‘pushing him over’ so I could overtake. He had none of it – left me for dust….
That must have been a quite heavily modified example mate!! Had it been std, it would have been you that would have left him for dust.

Ns04
Old 26 October 2006, 12:05 PM
markmarkymark
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04
That must have been a quite heavily modified example mate!! Had it been std, it would have been you that would have left him for dust.

Ns04
Well I was shocked, I know my car is not the fastest everyday car on the road anymore, but I thought it had the edge on most stuff. My car has only done 1600 miles so I did not rag it. It also feels very fast (compared to my old My04 WRX PPP) so something fishy was going on!
Old 26 October 2006, 12:19 PM
Torpid
BANNED

Most Imprezas are slow once moving and even slower once you get a move on.
Old 26 October 2006, 12:19 PM
New_scooby_04

Well I was shocked, I know my car is not the fastest everyday car on the road anymore, but I thought it had the edge on most stuff. My car has only done 1600 miles so I did not rag it. It also feels very fast (compared to my old My04 WRX PPP) so something fishy was going on!
I have heard of these cars being modified to 500bhp. Most of the std cars fell apart not long after being produced so the ones left on the road are likely to be in the hands of enthusiasts....and us enthusiasts do like to modify
Your car should be producing, what, 330bhp and similar torque? So it would have needed to be running a good 400 bhp+ to "leave you for dust".

Ns04
Old 26 October 2006, 12:20 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by Torpid
Old 26 October 2006, 12:23 PM
madisonmonkey
Scooby Senior

just go away
Old 26 October 2006, 12:24 PM
Marko2101
Scooby Regular

what do you drive to say that then? your mums nissan micra?
Old 26 October 2006, 12:25 PM
Sweepickit
Scooby Regular

There always has to be one pr1ck in a thread.
Old 26 October 2006, 12:27 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

True and not true, its all relative.

Bug/Blob eye WRX vs a Fiat Coupe - both std then true, same WRX vs Fabia Vrs then not true
Old 26 October 2006, 12:28 PM
Marko2101
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jay m A
True and not true, its all relative.

Bug/Blob eye WRX vs a Fiat Coupe - both std then true, same WRX vs Fabia Vrs then not true
Or Torpid's Mums Nissan Micra-True apparently!!!!
Old 26 October 2006, 12:29 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

"Whatever" - must be said in a a female American accent overflowing with teenaged angst !
Old 26 October 2006, 12:32 PM
Torpid
BANNED

Originally Posted by Marko2101
what do you drive to say that then? your mums nissan micra?
A debadged S8 and I've owned a couple of Subarus so I have experience of both.
In terms of decently fast cars the Impreza is nowhere unless very heavily modded. What I found my Impreza's good at was low speed stuff, upto 70 or so and in greasy, marginal conditions. Of course I never owned one of the **** poor fugly bugeye versions which are even slower than all the others.

I find it laughable that there are so many people in obvious denial as to the limitations of their 'plastic fantastic'.
Face facts, these days, the Impreza is at best in the hot hatch category as regards outright speed.
Old 26 October 2006, 12:36 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

In terms of decently fast cars the Impreza is nowhere unless very heavily modded. What I found my Impreza's good at was low speed stuff, upto 70 or so and in greasy, marginal conditions. Of course I never owned one of the **** poor fugly bugeye versions which are even slower than all the others.

I find it laughable that there are so many people in obvious denial as to the limitations of their 'plastic fantastic'.
Face facts, these days, the Impreza is at best in the hot hatch category as regards outright speed.
You need to consider going on an anger management course mate !
Old 26 October 2006, 12:38 PM
Torpid
BANNED

Originally Posted by andythejock01wrx
You need to consider going on an anger management course mate !
I would if I was angry but I'm not. Just stating the truth as I see it in response to the question 'is my bug a slug'.

Looks ****, goes ****.
Old 26 October 2006, 12:39 PM
markmarkymark
Scooby Regular

Oh boy what have I started ?

I was not claiming anything other than a bit of disapointment I guess. That said, i have my car cos I find it fun and generally only drive 'fast' when I am on my own (i.e. no other cars around) - I am not generally into 'racing' on the road. However, I tried and failed...... lol
Old 26 October 2006, 12:39 PM
BigStu
Scooby Regular

My previous motor was a Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo. From a standing start, the scooby would leave a coupe standing (due to lack of traction). However, rolling start, its a completely different story.
Old 26 October 2006, 12:41 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by BigStu
My previous motor was a Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo. From a standing start, the scooby would leave a coupe standing (due to lack of traction). However, rolling start, its a completely different story.
A Std WRX, yes! An 06 Sti With PPP. No way. Sorry!

ns04
Old 26 October 2006, 12:42 PM
wrxseeker
Scooby Regular

I would if I was angry but I'm not. Just stating the truth as I see it in response to the question 'is my bug a slug'.

Looks ****, goes ****.
Ahh the artist formally known as Vapid !! (before the ban)

https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby...ml#post6268182

Last edited by wrxseeker; 26 October 2006 at 12:52 PM.
Old 26 October 2006, 12:42 PM
markmarkymark
Scooby Regular

I still think you need to compare the WRX / STi to other cars by looking at all factors rather than outright performance (like cost/BHP, safety, space, and so on). Some pocket rockets might be 'as fast' nowerdays but you can not do what I am going to do later this afternoon (which is load the boot up with turf (unless you have a very small garden)
Old 26 October 2006, 12:43 PM
Torpid
BANNED

Originally Posted by BigStu
It's well documented on here that an unmodified Fiat 20V Coupe Turbo is considerably faster than an unmodified Impreza when rolling. Hardly a surprise is it, as I'm sure at least some of you must have noticed your cars don't exactly accelerate hard past 70.
Old 26 October 2006, 12:43 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

Audi S8 is an impressive car. 355bhp I believe. Some of that will be absorbed by its 1730kg weight of course. Good car though.

True that std imprezas aren't mindblowing, but they're good for the price. Note the 4wd also.
I reckon an appropriately modded Scoob will beat your S8 easily enough on the twisties. And it'll have cost a fair bit less.

Last edited by andythejock01wrx; 26 October 2006 at 12:45 PM.
Old 26 October 2006, 12:44 PM
Torpid
BANNED

I still think you need to compare the WRX / STi to other cars by looking at all factors rather than outright performance (like cost/BHP, safety, space, and so on). Some pocket rockets might be 'as fast' nowerdays but you can not do what I am going to do later this afternoon (which is load the boot up with turf (unless you have a very small garden)
A Focus ST is not only faster than a bugeye (saloon or wagon) it also has more bootspace.
Old 26 October 2006, 12:46 PM
Torpid
BANNED

Originally Posted by andythejock01wrx
Audi S8 is an impressive car. 355bhp I believe. Some of that will be absorbed by its 1730kg weight of course. Good car though.

True that std imprezas aren't mindblowing, but they're good for the price.
I reckon an appropriately modded Scoob will beat your S8 easily enough on the twisties. And it'll have cots a fair bit less.
Where a modified Impreza will beat my car easily is under braking. Even though the S8 is heavy it easily outperformed many Imprezas on the Nurburgring.

As for the cost issue I don't think this is about cost, although I'd argue a 20 grand S8 offers far more than a 20 grand Impreza.
Old 26 October 2006, 12:47 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

A Focus ST is not only faster than a bugeye (saloon or wagon) it also has more bootspace.
And people think the Scoobs are bad for understeer - just try a Focus ST !
Old 26 October 2006, 01:01 PM
Marko2101
Scooby Regular

now then *** head. what hot hatch do you propose (standard) that does 0-60 in 5.4sec and 0-100mph in 13ish. id say none. or are you talking about your mums nissan micra again?
Ill spend a **** load on a porsche and go on some ****ty s8 forum and go f-ing s8 are crap look at my porsche. your s8 is just an excuse for your small ****.
is it de-badged so people can go oohh is that an a8. then small **** says "no actually it an s8 de-badged"
f-ing *** head.
Old 26 October 2006, 01:10 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

It's well documented on here that an unmodified Fiat 20V Coupe Turbo is considerably faster than an unmodified Impreza when rolling. Hardly a surprise is it, as I'm sure at least some of you must have noticed your cars don't exactly accelerate hard past 70.
Don't be so sure!

Mine doesn't even get going until i get past 70

Last edited by Martin2005; 26 October 2006 at 01:16 PM.

Quick Reply: Is my Bug a slug?