Sponsored by:

Genuine question regarding Alloys / Tints

Search this Thread

Old 13 October 2006, 07:37 PM
AdamCrank
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Genuine question regarding Alloys / Tints

Evening chaps, couple of questions......

Im considering buying a new set of alloys - unsure of the make / model yet cause theres loads to choose from - my MY99 UK classic has the original Subaru 16's fitted.

Im not sure whether to get 17's or 18's. Would you have any problems with 18's regarding the handling or road holding of the car? Are 17's big enough? - im expecting everyone to have a different opinion on this as its each to their own with regards to alloy size and design - would just like people's opinions.

Tyres - hugely expensive or not really more expensive than a set of 16's for example?

I know this next one is a rather tired subject but ive got some genuine questions regarding tinted windows.

I know all about the laws and % etc - im considering getting just the rear three windows tinted to stay legal but what is a sensible tint level to have?

I know that winter is drawing near and the nights are getting darker so i dont want to go too dark to make it dangerous at night but i also want the tints to do their job in the summer as well - so i need to find a happy medium ( no funny jokes about Derek Acorah either!!! )

Do tints go on the inside of the glass or the outside?

If its the outside - what happens when your windows get icy, dont you scratch the tint when using an ice scraper?

Can tints also be used to keep heat in? - i know they are supposed to reflect heat in the summer but can they be used to keep your car warm in winter? And to aid in demisting windows etc

Thanks, sorry for the long post

Adam
Old 13 October 2006, 08:10 PM
cw42
Scooby Regular

mmm, let me see, in a helpful mood tonight, work is quiet!

Im considering buying a new set of alloys - unsure of the make / model yet cause theres loads to choose from
get some ideas from here: Subaru Impreza - Photographs and Pictures, Subaru Impreza WRX Sti, Subaru Impreza WRX, STi, P1, 22B, RB5, 2.5RS, Type-UK, UK300, SPEC-C, s202, WR1 excellent site for looking at pictures of scoobys with different wheels on

Im not sure whether to get 17's or 18's. Would you have any problems with 18's regarding the handling or road holding of the car? Are 17's big enough?
some people have 19"s on their cars! Depends what you want the car for, if your the fast and furious type, then you can get away with 19/18's, if you like to drive your car quickly along country lanes and fast A roads, then 17's fit the bill nicely, if you're a track master, then stick to 16's and save a wad of cash for buying replacement tyres.

Tyres - hugely expensive or not really more expensive than a set of 16's for example?
DO NOT SCRIMP ON TYRES, GET THE BEST YOU CAN AFFORD!

I know all about the laws and % etc - im considering getting just the rear three windows tinted to stay legal but what is a sensible tint level to have?
the legal level then.

Do tints go on the inside of the glass or the outside?
inside, which answers your next question.
not sure about the film used for tints, but its not impossible for a company to do such a thing, just couldn't see a big market for it in the uk.

Hope that helps you a little in your quest, happy motoring
Old 13 October 2006, 08:16 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My 18's don't feel hugley different to my previous 17's and have no scrubbage issues while sat on Eibachs
Old 13 October 2006, 08:26 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Try these guys re window tints, talk to Allan. They did my wifes TTR:

Address: durable
Unit 1
498 Reading Road
Winnersh, Reading
Berkshire RG41 5EX

Telephone: 0870 240 2480
Fax: 0118 989 5209
Email: mail@durable.co.uk

[edit - talk about clever adds! See add links below!]
Old 13 October 2006, 08:30 PM
AdamCrank
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the help so far fellas

cw42 - when i was on about tint levels i meant was there a % that was middle of the road i.e even the legal tint level could still be considered dangerous at night on a foggy road for example.

Thanks all

Adam