Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Search this Thread

Old 18 November 2001, 04:32 PM
Mellow Yellow !
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Myself and a friend went out for a Sunday run in the scoobs over the last Northern Meet route.

Stopping in a layby for a cuppa we got chatting to a group of bikers when along came a Suzuki GSXR 750 two up approaching fast from the left, dropped it a gear, and did a fantastic 500yrd wheelie at possibly 40 - 60 mph, unfortunately he gavre it too much and flipped the bloody thing, bike (and bits off it ) tumbled and cartwheeled, the riders fortunately slid more than rolled and all came to a stop on the wrong side of the road (thank God nothing was coming the other way ).

I dashed to the car to get my first aid kit and went up to the scene along with many others.

Fortunately there seemed an experienced person with medical know how and proceeded to check the guys out, the rider was in leathers, knee and elbow sliders etc....he was fine apart from his pride.

The passenger was a japenese chap who's holidaying over here, had pulled into the layby, got talking to the bikers and asked for a go on the back of the chap , needless to say his attire wasn't suitable and his thin bomber jacket was shredded, trainers cut.....he seemed OK apart from a minor ankle injury, nevertheless an ambulance was called just to make sure.....plod arrived too, how does one explain that sort of incident !

I dont seem to be able to get away from rolls, bangs and slides at the mo !
Old 18 November 2001, 04:45 PM
teen_machine
Scooby Regular

mellow...It wasnt a very nice thing to witness, jus glad no-one was seriouly hurt! Just shows that things can go wrong.

t_m
Old 18 November 2001, 04:46 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Ooops. Glad the everyone was OK.

I asked a guy at work to take me on his R1. I had Leather jacket and boots but only a pair of jeans. Don't think the boots would have helped me much as Paul managed to get it up to 176mph. I have never been so frightened in my life.

I will never ride pillion with someone I don't trust ever again.

Chris,
Hope the only rolls next weekend are with the meal.

Lee
Old 18 November 2001, 04:48 PM
Kosy
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool

Thats scary like. There is no way i'd go out on a bike with out proper clothes. Falling off does'nt bear thinking about.

I remember a few years ago me and my kid brother used to race of moutain bikes over the Forth Road Bridge. I was swerving to block him from overtaking and he clipped my bike and fell off. We just had tracksuits on and he was VERY badly grazed. He had to go to hospital and still has a big scar on his arm. Tarmac is such a horrible thing to slide on.

Kos
Old 18 November 2001, 05:23 PM
robman
Scooby Regular

I recall hearing once that skin and bone wears down at 1 inch per second on tarmac at 30mph. Sounds a bit OTT to me, but point made I guess. I binned my 50cc bike as a kid at about 20mph and shredded my left knee.

I feel sorry for those guys - one quick slip up and it's big repair bill and dented pride time.
Old 18 November 2001, 05:26 PM
Mellow Yellow !
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Lee....Lol..mate, you and me too

I've a couple of mates who are into the mountain bike scene and have never known so many injuries in a short space of time

Laura,you still holding that can
Old 18 November 2001, 05:39 PM
teen_machine
Scooby Regular

HA,HA mellow...the only reason i asked wat to do with the can...is because i didnt know if your kid had finished drinkin it!!! you would have had a go if i'd thrown it away wivout askin you.
t_m
Old 18 November 2001, 05:41 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

Old 18 November 2001, 06:50 PM
Mellow Yellow !
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

robman......one inch per second...! jeeze....that's some serious problem...sure makes you think...in the "olden" days of biking on my Z thou's and Honda 4's I was a real loon....open face pi$$pots, raggety jeans and the likes.....remember when I was prospecting with an outlaw club we were going down the motorway and my pillion asked me to slow down beside a car then proceeded to knock on the window and ask for a light ......mad.....mad days....

Laura.....Mellow with a capital "M" please....and the kid's called Andrew thinks you and your sis are cute by the way

[Edited by Mellow Yellow ! - 11/18/2001 6:52:43 PM]
Old 18 November 2001, 07:08 PM
teen_machine
Scooby Regular

Mellow....ov course i know his name is Andrew, He's obviously a young man with good taste if thinks sarah and I are cute!!

t_m
Old 18 November 2001, 07:56 PM
SDB
Scooby Regular

I came off a bike about 4 years ago and had all the gear on apart from from my leather trousers... I just had jeans on.

I was doing 60MPH at the time and can tell you that although the feel like they will protect you to some degree, jeans are about as good as rice paper.

I spent the next 6 months being told I would never walk without the aid of crutches or similar again, and although I shocked them somewhat by blowing that one away, I will not be able to ski or run again unless there is some kind of advancement in the way they can repair tendons, etc. I basically destroyed my left patella tendon (which connects the knee cap to the bottom part of your leg, and enables you to straighten you leg out.)

Not a sob story, I consider myself to be one of the luckiest people alive..

but "i was just going to the shops" at the time, so didn't bother with the full gear. I didn't realise just how stupid that was!!

All the best

Simon
Old 19 November 2001, 12:38 AM
scrappydoo
Scooby Regular

Thanks simon i was considering getting my bikers license but now i dont think i will. Cars for me.

You are a jolly fortunate fellow.

Scrappy

Old 19 November 2001, 05:26 AM
bros2
Scooby Regular

[Edited by bros2 - 7/2/2003 1:04:30 PM]
Old 19 November 2001, 09:07 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Friend of mine who was into bikes told me when he was taking lessons that the instructor (in the classroom) chucked a coarse sanding disc into a Black &Decker, pulled the trigger and said "This also travels at 40mph. Anyone want to put their jeans up against it?". Someone else can calculate the speeds, but I got the impression the point was well made and no-one went out in T-shirts in the summer.

BJH
Old 19 November 2001, 09:15 AM
ARRON BIRD
Scooby Regular

Nothing wrong with a good minger just need to stay on
In the summer I`ll show you boys how to pull em.
Old 19 November 2001, 09:21 AM
Bin Laden
Scooby Regular

I never rode motorbicycles, I always thought they were very dangerous.
Old 19 November 2001, 10:39 AM
bren@apex
Former Sponsor

A few years ago I was at 'Flapett' quarry in Denholme, Bradford, a very popular place for trials bike, crossers, quads, 4x4s etc to go an play at the weekend.

I was letting my CR500 cool down at watching the others when I saw a white car pull off the quarry carpark on the the fast A road running past it. It pulled straight ut in front a a BMW bike The bike ran straight into the car and the riders were catapulted down the road over the car. The riders didnt seem too injured and an ambulance appeared within minutes.

Turned out it was a dad giving his son his first go behind the wheel of a car when the son had driven straight off the private quary onto the main road without looking. The dad then tried to make out that he was driving and not his son but there were way too many witnesses for him to get away with it.

My dad was into bikes big time and I used to love going out for a blast as pillion. Ive always wanted a bike myself but Ive seen and heard of too many major accidents to seriosuly consider it. Ill stick to crossers me thinks

Bren
Old 19 November 2001, 10:48 AM
brickboy
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Before I start I'll say this: I have a bike ("classic" Suzi 550 triple) and I've been pretty stupid sometimes in the past and got away with it. I also live right next to the Buxton / Macclesfield Cat&Fiddle road.

But a 400-yard wheelie on a public road, with a passenger who has no idea what's going on, and flipping it? That's just insane. Protective clothing or not, they're both bloody lucky to be alive. I see the same most weekends on the Cat & Fiddle road. No wonder bikes and bikers get a bad name.
Old 20 November 2001, 12:35 PM
wacko
Scooby Regular

First, i am not a bike owner.
Second, i am not going to comment on the merits of pulling wheelies.
Thirdly, i am glad no one was seriously hurt.

BUT....
I would just like to say that knowing people in the medical profession who see the results of such accidents. For godsake buy the most expensive leathers you can afford!! You may not realise it, but your life really does depend on them in the unfortunate event of an accident. A pair of jeans and a t-shirt wont do a lot when you're sliding along the road at 70mph!!
Old 20 November 2001, 12:53 PM
wacko
Scooby Regular

BUT....
I would just like to say that knowing people in the medical profession who see the results of such accidents. For godsake buy the most expensive leathers you can afford!! You may not realise it, but your life really does depend on them in the unfortunate event of an accident. A pair of jeans and a t-shirt wont do a lot when you're sliding along the road at 70mph!!
Old 20 November 2001, 01:28 PM
wacko
Scooby Regular

BUT....
Old 20 November 2001, 01:59 PM
wacko
Scooby Regular

BUT....
Old 20 November 2001, 02:30 PM
wacko
Scooby Regular

BUT....
Old 20 November 2001, 02:36 PM
john&nicci
Scooby Regular

Wink

I think you made your point wacko.
I think you made your point wacko.
Seriously though, I had bikes mid 70's to early 80's.
Every so often I think about getting another.......
then I go to a mates funeral and change my mind!
It's not so often the biker, as the fool in a car
who doesn't see him!
Hi to anyone who used to be in the Valhalla Club,York.
john.
Old 20 November 2001, 03:05 PM
wacko
Scooby Regular

BUT....
Old 20 November 2001, 03:15 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

I think there's a problem with the BBS...
Old 20 November 2001, 03:16 PM
ChrisB

Great minds think alike Chiark. Both posted at 15:15

http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/threa...threadid=55241
Old 20 November 2001, 03:23 PM
mark.coleman
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

All I can say is that, luckily he came off before he hit someone.

Old 20 November 2001, 03:51 PM
wacko
Scooby Regular

BUT....
Old 20 November 2001, 04:03 PM
Mellow Yellow !
Scooby Regular

Question

WOW !!!!