Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

bought 51 plat wagon off ebay help help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05 October 2006, 03:43 PM
mattdoyle
Scooby Regular

Location: From Outback 2 classic wagon 2 newage wagon 2 Legy TT 2 classic 2 newage STi
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bought 51 plat wagon off ebay help help!!!

did a buy it now on a 51(reg 22.10.01) plate wagon on Monday, 69k, £5.5k(front bumper damaged)
Having had the V5,Mot's & service book faxed to me and am very worried.
The service book says last service @44k on 1.4.04 and nothing since(2.5yrs and 26k)
Guy says he has had it serviced but forgot the book!!, has had the clutch done but not the cambelt???
Am trying to check with Chadwell Heath (Wilsons) Subaru on service record but they have had a new computer system and am waiting for the service manager to call me back when he has checked the old system!!!

Wondering if I should back out, if a guy drives it for 20k after the cambelt should have been changed I wonder what the rest of the vehicle will be like, tyres, suspension, etc.

would immediately require a new cambelt(£500) and god knows what else(tyres, full lub service, etc)

Car is in Essex and i'm in the North West
What you reckon
Old 05 October 2006, 03:47 PM
GREGGYG
Scooby Regular

Yes, back out asap, like today!

Never ever buy a car without seeing it and its documentation, ESPECIALLY something like a Subaru Impreza.

Good luck.
Old 05 October 2006, 03:51 PM
WHEELSHOP0_0
Scooby Regular

Even if he did not take service book in he would have got a receipt when he paid for service, iffy stories on service and mileages be cautious, very cautious.
Old 05 October 2006, 03:51 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

but why buy a car from ebay??
Old 05 October 2006, 04:13 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by StickyMicky
Because it's cheap
Old 05 October 2006, 04:16 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

I've bought and sold several cars on Ebay. I find it very good, especially if sellers properly list their item with loads of pics and info.

Do not buy any car unless it has proper service history fully documented. I won't even buy an older car if it hasn't had all the previous MOT certs.
Old 05 October 2006, 04:43 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by paulpalmer
Because it's cheap
they are cheap because the cars are missing documents and service books

Trending Topics

Old 05 October 2006, 04:48 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

they are cheap because the cars are missing documents and service books
I know that and you know that
Old 05 October 2006, 04:52 PM
Ste_TYPE-R
Scooby Regular

Idiot ...

I hope you do back out, then i hope the seller sues you.

Why not do the digging and research into the service history before pressing "BUYITNOW" . "BUYITNOW" is quite self explanatory, it means BUY IT NOW ... WOAH **** ME THATS PRETTY CLEVER EH?!

You cant "buyitnow" then decide, hmm actually i dont want to buyitnow anymore. Its ppl like you who make ebay ****, clueless morons, the fact you bought a car off ebay without i suspect actually going to look at it and doing any real research confirms this!

This is assuming of course the listing was accurate and wasnt full of stuff like "HAS FULL SERVICE HISTORY!" when actually it might not have.

Infact whats the item number?

Last edited by Ste_TYPE-R; 05 October 2006 at 04:55 PM.
Old 05 October 2006, 04:55 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Sues? Get a grip.
Old 05 October 2006, 04:56 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

As subtle as a pointy ****
Old 05 October 2006, 04:58 PM
scooby_me
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GREGGYG

Good luck.

only way foward i think......
Old 05 October 2006, 05:01 PM
scooby_matt
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobynutta555
As subtle as a pointy ****
Old 05 October 2006, 05:01 PM
Ste_TYPE-R
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GREGGYG

Good luck.
Yer then go buy another one off ebay without first checking it out then post back here in a few days time asking for some help because you're dim. A general rule, if its too cheap to be true, it usually is.

8 zillion BHP SUBAWOO IMPREZZA FAST WOAH LOOK FAST !!** £300
Old 05 October 2006, 05:03 PM
mattdoyle
Scooby Regular

Location: From Outback 2 classic wagon 2 newage wagon 2 Legy TT 2 classic 2 newage STi

You have the right to think I am an idiot.
However I didnt press the buy it now button, I auctionsniped it up to the price of the buy it now figure expecting to supercede bids up to that price.

It does say it has a service history but I am now finding out that the service history contains some VERY major holes.

He cant sue me, but he can give me negative feedback, though if I do back out I will offer to pay his ebay sales fee.

You cant always do the research(ie someone from 250 miles awaymaynot be prepared to fax all the documentation thru to every prospective ebay requestor)

Anyway I havent made my mind up yet but thanks for the support from a fellow scoobynetter!!!!
Old 05 October 2006, 05:04 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

The BIN button isnt working.....
Old 05 October 2006, 05:07 PM
Ste_TYPE-R
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mattdoyle
You have the right to think I am an idiot.
However I didnt press the buy it now button, I auctionsniped it up to the price of the buy it now figure expecting to supercede bids up to that price.

It does say it has a service history but I am now finding out that the service history contains some VERY major holes.

He cant sue me, but he can give me negative feedback, though if I do back out I will offer to pay his ebay sales fee.

You cant always do the research(ie someone from 250 miles awaymaynot be prepared to fax all the documentation thru to every prospective ebay requestor)

Anyway I havent made my mind up yet but thanks for the support from a fellow scoobynetter!!!!
Ahh ok then ignore my outburst. Assuming the service history isnt complete and it doesnt sound like it as the cambelt hasnt been done, you'd be right to be concerned. I daresay its got Nangkang tyres on it too!

BACK OUT, theres plenty of scoobs out there!

*kiss* *kiss*

Maybe offer him £600 under what you won it for, he said full history and a major service item that should've been replaced hasnt been. Like you said this is somehting you will need to get done ASAP.
Old 05 October 2006, 05:11 PM
mattdoyle
Scooby Regular

Type R

Your right, I should have qualified my original post, am waiting to see what wilsons subaru say, am concerned that anyone would drive it for 20k without the CB bein done.

Your probably right about the nanking tyres tho!!!
Old 05 October 2006, 05:13 PM
h4rry
Scooby Regular

NOTE: The buyer IS eligable to back out of any purchase IF the item is found to be NOT AS DESCRIBED. By the sound of it you have clicked "Buy it now" on this car expecting one thing and getting something totally different. If the auction says it has full service history and it hasn't its not as described, if it says its had new tyres and it hasnt its not as described etc etc etc......

As above i would back out asap but provide as many reasons as possible so when it goes to a dispute in Ebay you can fight your corner and they will probably side with you. In that case they can erase any neg feedback you have recieved for this item, once as i did when i bought items off there.

Hope this helps :thumbs:
Old 05 October 2006, 05:27 PM
Ste_TYPE-R
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mattdoyle
Type R

Your right, I should have qualified my original post, am waiting to see what wilsons subaru say, am concerned that anyone would drive it for 20k without the CB bein done.

Your probably right about the nanking tyres tho!!!

Was it very cheap?

Wouldnt surprise me if, you get down there, hand over money. Jump in car to drive home ... turn ignition just a clunk, get out to look under bonnet... "looks like cambelts gone mate"
Old 05 October 2006, 06:03 PM
bob r
Scooby Regular

it certainly does sound iffy to me and you should have done your homework before committing yourself however, if things arent as described in the original advert BACKOUT asap and learn from your mistakes.
hopefully you wont be influenced to go through with the sale as the subtle/a***holes on hear think you should
Old 05 October 2006, 06:08 PM
fl6
Scooby Regular

try freeads.net thay have some good cars on there. Just had a look and theres 59 scoobs for sale

Last edited by fl6; 05 October 2006 at 06:14 PM.
Old 05 October 2006, 06:35 PM
KenS55STI
Scooby Regular

Don't buy a car that you can't go and see and test drive before parting with your money unless you can get it checked out by someone you know you can trust to give you the full details.
Old 05 October 2006, 06:37 PM
StudentScooby
Scooby Regular

Item number for the scoobynet jury!!!
Old 05 October 2006, 09:54 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

here's a novel approach- maybe see if we, collectively, can help the guy rather than slag him off??

Is anyone local to the seller - does anyone know the car - can you supply a partial registration, along with a description - whereby someone may know something about it?

ANY subaru dealer should have the service record available. If it doesn't fit, then walk away. Negative feedback will ultimately cost much less than a bad Impreza.

I've always tried to live by the old adage- 'if you can't do something positive, then don't do anything' ~ under the above circumstances either help out or go and play elsewhere. Even if it was, possibly, a daft thing to do
Old 06 October 2006, 10:34 AM
mattdoyle
Scooby Regular

RRH
What a nice guy, makes a refreshing change to 'meet' someone who sympathises with the 'fool'

The car in question is EA51 OJS and is short of history from 44k up to 69k, and needs new front bumper(cracked)
HPI says forecourt is £7.7k(dealer, 50k, FSH, warranty).
I am thinking of offering 5k(wants 5.5)

Ideas or do you think I am a clown for even considering it???
Old 06 October 2006, 10:44 AM
scooby_me
Scooby Regular

Offer to cover the guys out of pockey ebay fees, if you both mutualy agree not to complete the transaction he will be eligable for a FVF (final valuation fee) refund, so his total out of pocket should be no more that £10 the cost of his original listing.

if i was even slightly worried about buying a car i had won i would certianly be communicating my worries with the seller. he has stated full service history and its not. so you would have a case should he complain to ebay,

providing my buyer offered to coer my out of pocket fees i would be happy to re-list.

just be honest with the seller and look for a car that you can go and see first.

HTH

Darren
Old 06 October 2006, 11:34 AM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

The golden rule is if you're not 100% happy then walk away. It's your money and it'll be you that's out of pocket if the car is a lemon. Always, always insist on a FULL service history.

There are plenty of cars out there, especially Imprezas which are notoriously hard to shift quickly, so take your time and pick a good one.
Old 06 October 2006, 12:49 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

double post?!?!
Old 06 October 2006, 12:50 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by paulpalmer
Because it's cheap
...and possibly dodgy

(Although i constantly forget to take the book to services for my cars, you still have the receipt though until stamped next time)

Quick Reply: bought 51 plat wagon off ebay help help!!!