SOME ADVICE NEEDED

Search this Thread

Old 03 October 2006, 03:58 PM
CoolCurly
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SOME ADVICE NEEDED

Hi Chaps and Chappettes,

Newbie here to the scoobie world and Im after a little advice....

Im being offered a 2004 Subaru "Wagon" WRX with 30k miles and full service history. I know the car has been used for the past year for the school run and has been kept in very good condition.

Im going to look at it properly on Wednesday night and want to know what to look out for - I know the owner anyway, so I know he will not be trying to put one over on me (I'll burn his new M5 if he did ) but want to know if there is anything I should look out for...

Im going to be selling my very immaculate 25th Anniversary Golf for this puppy and will be looking for some "subtle" mods at a later date - induction, exchaust, remap - but for now just want to know what im to look out for.

cheers guys - Im learning fast about the world of Subaru fairly fast, just not fast enough!
Old 03 October 2006, 05:35 PM
CoolCurly
Scooby Newbie

No advice from ANYone????

Pleaseeeeeeeeeeee!!??
Old 03 October 2006, 05:47 PM
WHEELSHOP0_0
Scooby Regular

Just check the obvious things,with that age and miles the condition should be very good,things like wheels/tyres for kerbing ,poor wear patterns etc. Kids run cars tend to get bumped and banged over kerbs/speedhumps look for obvious damage/uneven wear can mean tracking probs. Check the history can be substantiated and was anything unexpected done other than routine servicing.
If the car has never been bumped check for any fresh/new paint(accident damage),check underbonnet for cleanliness, should be clean but not cleaned(hiding something?). General wear and tear(dirt) is ok but there should be no obvious worn sections g/****, s/wheel, pedals etc.
Your first impression is usually the right one if it is good keep looking if its bad think very carefully. Good luck.
Old 03 October 2006, 05:52 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Not an expert with wagons, but if its the school mobile you may find some extra child wear in the back. Still under warranty on an 04. All the usual used car checks but nothing specific to the 04 wrx wagon. Other than that have a look at this thread, only thing I've had on my 53 WRX saloon is a faulty battery replace under warranty.

https://www.scoobynet.com/03-wrx-ppp-t548295.html
Old 03 October 2006, 06:00 PM
JonesyWRX
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My WRX is only 11 months old, - I'd look out for parking dents as mine is covered in them ( got dentmaster coming around next week to rectify) - the steel used in the doors is especially thin - if this car has been used on the school run it'll probably have a few too. Alloys are also easy to kerb.

Check oil level & condition as this can drop dramatically between services.

Interior should be OK - materials are cheap & nasty but seem to hold up pretty well.

Other than that I think 2nd hand these cars represent excellent value. Hope it works out for you!
Old 04 October 2006, 08:38 AM
CoolCurly
Scooby Newbie

Cheers guys - All the "normal" stuff I know - just wanted to check there was nothing else on this model of car.

The kids are a little older, and to be fair its kept in pretty good condition.
Im looking at it tonight, so fingers crossed - you might have a very regular new poster by the weekend!!!

Oh, anybody give me advise about tracker? Direct Line tell me the car must have one fitted..
Old 04 October 2006, 10:20 AM
bob r
Scooby Regular

the tracker imo is quite pointless as who wants a car back that could have been ragged to within an inch of its life. imo the insurance co should pay for the tracker as its them that benefit. there are plenty of insurance companys that dont require a tracker fitted, try keith michaels or one of the other insurance cos that advertise on hear. ensure the 30k service has been done as its pricey . good luck with the viewing and welcome to a life with a thinner wallet.