Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 17 November 2001, 09:04 AM
real_welshboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Got a big prob with my 95wrx, no power, shaking on idle, turbo taking ages to spool up, vibrating hard when driving more that 50. seems like its only on 3 cylinders, being a scoob and especially an import im finding it hard to get help, I'd like to know whos the brightest spark here to help which will result in a few pints for a cure to my problem.
Old 17 November 2001, 11:07 AM
mark_wrx
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

welshboy take it down to carmathen to a place called DRJ MOTORSPORT they are in jonstown and r the nuts on subarus really helpfull and freindly people , will it drive there slowly though.
Old 17 November 2001, 11:23 AM
Ian Cook
Scooby Regular

It sounds like you may have lost one of the coil packs, theres one on each cylinder on your car, and it sounds like one has failed !
Old 17 November 2001, 01:26 PM
real_welshboy
Scooby Regular

How exactly can I test the coil packs? i took one spark plug out and looked at it, it fired ok, the car still ticked over, if that 1 was ok and there was one knackered one still in the engine wouldnt it stop cos i'd only have 2 cylinders left running then?
Old 17 November 2001, 04:53 PM
NENO
Scooby Regular

Smile

I'm no expert on these things, but it sounds a lot like the problems I had after a service. Has it just been done?
The lame brain mechanic cracked one of the spark plugs when he fitted it!!! The spark was fine out of the block but when under load it shorted to the block and exhibited similar problems to yours. Check it out. Oh and it took them an age to locate the problem - main dealers, don't you just love them!

[Edited by NENO - 11/17/2001 4:54:30 PM]
Old 17 November 2001, 11:22 PM
Dr Hu
Scooby Regular

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
Exclamation

Also on the end of each coil pack is a rubber sleeve, these perish and deteriate with age, shorting out the coil/sparkplug to the head (or drop off when changing plugs), again causing your symptom.

Another thing, by the battery & washer bottle (handy!) are 2 large square multiplug connectors on a bracket, these carry ALL of the engine electics, these (due to their location!) can corrode and cause all sorts of electrical problems - worth a check if nothing else!

I would say it is definately a firing problem..... hopefully coils, or plugs..easy...or maybe burnt valves or lack of compression on one cylinder (hard)

Good Luck....

[Edited by Dr Hu - 11/17/2001 11:27:34 PM]