Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Why arent they selling

Search this Thread

Old 27 September 2006, 12:02 AM
mattdoyle
Scooby Regular

Location: From Outback 2 classic wagon 2 newage wagon 2 Legy TT 2 classic 2 newage STi
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why arent they selling

As post, insurance, fuel, they just dont seem to be shifting at all, ideas gents?
Old 27 September 2006, 12:15 AM
Dave Thornton
Scooby Regular

Smile

The design is 6 years old and car design has come a long way since then. Fewer people want a saloon car too, preferring various shapes and sizes from coupe/convertible to Ford S-Max 2.5T. Also, 40% of new cars are diesel.

It's all about reacting to trends and customer demand. An annual nose job is not enough.
Old 27 September 2006, 12:21 AM
mattdoyle
Scooby Regular

Location: From Outback 2 classic wagon 2 newage wagon 2 Legy TT 2 classic 2 newage STi

Dont just mean the new ones dave, meant classics, newage in the 2nd hand market
Old 27 September 2006, 12:50 AM
Alas
Scooby Regular

Lot of people getting put off the last couple of years. I would think broad range of reasons - some you've stated. Just go through the threads and you'll find the rest.
Old 27 September 2006, 08:56 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Because people mod thier cars to buggery and expect the buyer to pay for it - Asking £6,7,8K for a 10 year old car with decats, dump valves, induction kits etc etc. It's not going to happen - It's still a 10 year old car. People need to be more realistic with thier prices. Your car will be far more saleable in standard form at a realisitc price.
Old 27 September 2006, 09:20 AM
mcarrick69
Scooby Newbie

I'd agree with all the above although I always thought it was because the market was flooded with impreza's.

Do a search on the autotrader site even over 40 miles and you have a lot of choice. I've owned/seen rare limited edition cars sell much faster and see less depreciation.
Old 27 September 2006, 09:22 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

who in there right mind wants to pay £50/week in fuel, to drive a car that cant go fast, because there is a squillion speed cameras
Old 27 September 2006, 09:36 AM
Johnny C
Scooby Regular

Meh, it was cool when it there were just 2 or 3 in the works car park, loved to bits by their owners. Now there are dozens, and the majority see to be knackered classics with obnoxious cans and bad resprays. Teh cool factor has gone.

It's all a bit depressing, lets hope the '08 change injects a bit of life.
Old 27 September 2006, 10:19 AM
movi-star
Scooby Regular

Its because people are not spending their cash as freely as say a year ago, not just on Scoobies but on everything. Interest rates have risen, people maxed out on credit, equity in their houses has not risen, possibly even decreased.

Very narrow minded to suggest they are not selling because of dodgy paint jobs/big exhausts and over pricing, I've seen many Subaru's that are nice and still dont sell at a reasonable price. The reasons are much wider than that.
Old 27 September 2006, 10:23 AM
Vapid
BANNED

You can do better is the main reason. That and the Impreza is unfashionable in the extreme.

Anyway I think you'll find if they are cheap enough they'll sell, the problem is owners have an unrealistic expectation of their cars true value. As for IM and their pricing they can 'duck my sick' if they think I'm buying one of their overpriced, low spec cars ever again.
Old 27 September 2006, 10:42 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by movi-star
Its because people are not spending their cash as freely as say a year ago, not just on Scoobies but on everything. Interest rates have risen, people maxed out on credit, equity in their houses has not risen, possibly even decreased.

Very narrow minded to suggest they are not selling because of dodgy paint jobs/big exhausts and over pricing, I've seen many Subaru's that are nice and still dont sell at a reasonable price. The reasons are much wider than that.
I have to say, cobblers. Consumer spending has risen month on month for ages - it's up 4.3% this year since. Retail purchasing is rising at around 1.5% per month - Yes there is uncertainty looming ahead - possibly, but there has been consistant growth in consumer spending.

The very reason interest rates rose was to curb inflation, due to spending added to the hike in home fuel prices - You can't stop people buying gas and electricity, so you have to slow them down on consumer spending - Hence the interest rate rise.

So yes, people are spending thier cash as freely as ever - highlighted by the the news today that on average, people in UK have twice as much debt as others in Europe. That's not down to being frugal!

If something doesn't sell, there is a very simple reason for it - It is being overpriced. Hence the reason people drop the price when they can't get a buyer.
Old 27 September 2006, 12:59 PM
mattdoyle
Scooby Regular

Interesting debate on why they arent selling(too many, bad image, fuel/ins costs, wider economic factors, et al).

What value would you put on lightly modded 97 P turbo 2000 with 105000 on it, might take a punt at the right price.
cheers lads
Old 27 September 2006, 01:10 PM
Vapid
BANNED

Originally Posted by mattdoyle
Interesting debate on why they arent selling(too many, bad image, fuel/ins costs, wider economic factors, et al).

What value would you put on lightly modded 97 P turbo 2000 with 105000 on it, might take a punt at the right price.
cheers lads
3 grand tops if it's in good condition and a UK car with FSH.
Old 27 September 2006, 01:29 PM
graham22
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Johnny C
Meh, it was cool when it there were just 2 or 3 in the works car park, loved to bits by their owners. Now there are dozens, and the majority see to be knackered classics with obnoxious cans and bad resprays. Teh cool factor has gone.

It's all a bit depressing, lets hope the '08 change injects a bit of life.
Pretty close to the point, when I bought my first one in 2000, they were a discrete but desirable performance car near the start of their model life which cost a reasonable sum. Bear in mind now, lots of these car are 13yr old multi owner knackers being maintained on a budget (just look in the wanted ads and see how often 'cheap' appears) - unfortunately these are the ones 'ragging' up and down high streets drawing attention to the brand and thus people labeling all Subarus as the same - not to mention the lack of 'profile' previously held in rallying (ie 7yrs ago Subaru = Macrae/Burns).

Problem is people are seeing this image and are overlooking newer models and well kept classics owned by enthusiastic owners as per this website.
Old 27 September 2006, 01:41 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Vapid
3 grand tops if it's in good condition and a UK car with FSH.
I would say that's a bit conservative - The book price on a good condition is £3155, and parkers are always a bit on the low side. I would go for £3,500 for the sale £3,800 if I had time to wait. Having said that, the 100,000 mile mark is a bit of a psychological barrier. Put it this way, you won't find one at a traders for less that £3,500.

Last edited by PeteBrant; 27 September 2006 at 01:44 PM.
Old 27 September 2006, 01:46 PM
Vapid
BANNED

3k's about what you'll get for if things go well, trade value is going to be 2K.I certainly don't think that Parkers is something to go buy. Look at cars on Autotrader (bear in mind there will be a fair few overpriced ones not selling) and use Glass's for an idea of values.

As for 3.8 I think you'll be waiting so long that the value will have dropped even lower by the time you come to sell.

Good luck if you decide to sell, at that level though I'd probably keep it unless I really wanted a change. What else are you going to get that's any good for that sort of money?
Old 27 September 2006, 01:59 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Vapid
Look at cars on Autotrader (bear in mind there will be a fair few overpriced ones not selling)
I did, and nationally, there isn't a single UK Turbo MY97 for £3k or under. The nearest I got was a MY96 import WRX. There are a few wagons for £3K mind.