What type of Cobra Imobiliser for MY95?

Search this Thread

Old 30 October 2000, 04:39 PM
Nimbus
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hi,

I'm trying to get an insurance quote from Direct Line (after my last insurers, Admiral, upped my premium from £650pa to £1200pa !!), but they need to know what type of Cobra Imobiliser is fitted. I belive it was fitted from new, but the garage I bought the car from can not tell me what it is.

Does anyone know what model would have been fitted to MY95 UK turbos? It has a little recess under the dash, where you have to insert the 'key' (little thing with a push in bit on the end). My appologies for the technical discription...

Any assistancr appreciated.

Thanks

Old 30 October 2000, 06:55 PM
Andrew Timmins
Scooby Regular

Smile

It is the Cobra 0802T.

Try NFU mutual for a quote. I have a MY95 turbo and paid just over £600 last February.
Old 31 October 2000, 03:34 PM
Nimbus
Scooby Regular

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for the info.

Did you need to provide a certificate to NFU for your imobiliser? I'm having trouble trying to get someone to provide one. The garage I bought it from does not have it, and although Direct Line said that Halfords could provide a letter, when I spoke to them they could not do a letter for Cobra.

Is this model Thatcham 1 apporved? Do you know anywhere where I can get a certificate for this?

Thanks
Old 31 October 2000, 03:40 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Arrow

Nimbus,

Subaru dealer told me it was Thatcham cat 2. I dont have a cert. for mine either.

Lee
Old 31 October 2000, 03:54 PM
howardb
Scooby Regular

Had one on my MY96 and that was an 0802T. It was only a thatcham 2 and I had a Gemini Acquilla (thatcham 1) fitted as well.

Unfortunately (im my eyes) the 0802 isn't very good and I wouldn't trust it as far as I could throw it. Personally I would fit a more upto date system.

My insurers have always required a copy of the relevant thatcham certificates.

[This message has been edited by howardb (edited 31 October 2000).]
Old 31 October 2000, 04:00 PM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Question

.. sorry not an answer, but to further this thread, as well as a CAT 1 alarm, what steering wheel locks or other security would you recomend??

Cheers, Alex
Old 31 October 2000, 04:01 PM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

PS. although in answer to what alarm, a Sigma M30 (i think this is the one) could be fitted, its CAT1 and is the one used in all new imprezas... and costs about 400/450 fitted...

rgds, Alex

Trending Topics

Old 31 October 2000, 04:10 PM
paulmon
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation

Nimbus,

Before you take up the Direct line offer check with them if you need to provide a certificate. I am currently insured with Direct Line and they informed me that if I did not have a certificate and the car was stolen then I would not be covered. Fortunately for me the dealer who provided the car had fitted a Scorpion CAT 1 for the previous owner and was able to provide me with a copy of the original.

Direct Line also insisted that I had a Tracker fitted, but that might have something to do with the area I live in.

Paul
Old 31 October 2000, 04:15 PM
Nimbus
Scooby Regular

Paul,

Direct Line have said that they require a copy of the Cert when I send back the signed forms. This is the first time a company has asked for a certificat. I guess it's a sign of the times. They didn't mention anything about not being covered if I could not provide one. They never mentioned a Tracker.

It a shame, because there's was the lowest quote so far (£680 against avge of £800 elaswhere).

Old 31 October 2000, 06:37 PM
Andrew Timmins
Scooby Regular

Smile

NFU took my word for it about the Cobra. I have a tracker as well and this knocked £177 off my premium. Try shopping around for prices for a tracker, it would probably pay for itself in a couple of years.

Ask your insurer if they would accept a letter from a Subaru dealer confirming you have the immobiliser on your car. As all '95 Impreza turbos have them as standard, none of us paid to have them fitted, so would not have the fitting certificate.
Old 01 November 2000, 03:04 PM
paulmon
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool

Nimbus,

They told me the very same thing. I just sent the forms back as I was waiting for the certs for the Alarm and Tracker.

After speaking with them on the phone and explaining that I was waiting for the certs to arrive they just said 'as long as the certificates have got the correct dates on them it would not matter.'

If your motor was stolen and you were in possesion of a valid certificate they would have to honour your claim.

Paul
Old 01 November 2000, 04:10 PM
subverbal
Scooby Regular

I have the 0802T on my MY96. First thing I did when I got the car was have a Cat1 system installed 'over the top' as it were.
I also bought a Halfords steering wheel lock (the full cover type, not the bar) and a full on wheelclamp ! I sleep slightly better at nights now.

Neil.