Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What do scoobies 'feel' like to drive..(Sti UK)

Search this Thread

Old 15 September 2006, 01:20 AM
Russellg911
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What do scoobies 'feel' like to drive..(Sti UK)

Hi all

Sorry for the newbie post. Basically I'm looking to trade my Seat Leon Cupra-R225 in for an 02 / 03 WRX Sti UK (possibly PPP'd).

Before I give this more serious thought, what are these like to drive? I like a car to have a nice crisp, progressive throttle reponse and to have a nice smooth, almost effortless pull, which is why I like my Leon...so basically I'm after more of the same...

Does the Sti UK sound like what I'm after?
Thanks for any help, I hope my question kinda makes sense...
Old 15 September 2006, 01:26 AM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Russellg911
Hi all

Sorry for the newbie post. Basically I'm looking to trade my Seat Leon Cupra-R225 in for an 02 / 03 WRX Sti UK (possibly PPP'd).

Before I give this more serious thought, what are these like to drive? I like a car to have a nice crisp, progressive throttle reponse and to have a nice smooth, almost effortless pull, which is why I like my Leon...so basically I'm after more of the same...

Hello Newbie. Arrange a test drive.

James
Old 15 September 2006, 01:29 AM
Russellg911
Scooby Regular

Cheers James....I guess that's the surefire way to know.

Hopefully looking to test one at the weekend....so worried about being disappointed :S
Old 15 September 2006, 07:49 AM
bluepolarbear
Scooby Regular

Hi all

I would suggest no, the power of the STI comes in a narrow rev range, outside that rev range it doesn't have much go and is very docile to drive. Keep it inside the rev range through ample use of the gears it is ballistic, certainly effortless pull, not sure you would call it smooth
Old 15 September 2006, 08:51 AM
MattW
Scooby Regular

PPP is a must IMO, unless you are out of warranty and then go for a remap. The 225 against a standard Sti won't be a massive difference although the AWD will inspire more confidence.
Old 15 September 2006, 08:53 AM
Vapid
BANNED

Hi all

You aren't going to get progressive throttle response from a STi. What you will get is plenty of understeer just like your Leon.
Old 15 September 2006, 09:07 AM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

You'll feel like a hornet in a jam jar !! Just kidding, and yes I nicked that off another post !

Ride is often thought to be too firm, but can be sorted with Prodrive springs.
BluePolarbear's comments seem to be the Scoobynet consensus re power delivery.
Old 15 September 2006, 12:29 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

The (standard) STi is far from progessive. It's nothing...nothing...approaching 3600-ish RPM...nothing. *WHAM* You're off like lightening.

It will be a different animal to your Leon.

I haven't driven a PPP Sti, but have similar mods and more power. The car is much easier to drive, more progressive, less lag and even more pull. If you can get a PPP one then all the better.

There will be understeer too when pushing.

Here are the pitfalls i found with the standard STi

Tramlining - Fking awful. Required both hands on the wheel at ALL time as the car would veer off in any direction when there's a change/undulation(sp?) in the tarmac.

I swapped to 18" PFF replicas with Toyo T1-S and the difference was massive. Can drive no handed now (just kidding!) (£695)

Lag - As explained above. PPP or similar package will cure this. (£1100-2000)

Wipers - Are sh!te, easily fixed though (£20)

Washy ride - Prodrive springs or similar will change this, but will ultimately make it quite a harsh ride. (£250)

Understeer - Whiteline Rear ARB & Droplinks (£120)

One thing i noticed is, you're forever changing gears, which, with the ride and narrow power band makes it a very busy, but spirited drive, when pushing on. The grip levels, especially in the wet will be much better than the Leon.

Now don't be put off by any of the above, i've just been honest.

If you can get a STi PPP then it will be easier and more rewarding to drive!! The other bits are cheap enough to cure.

You'll smile like you never did in the Leon though, that is guaranteed!!

Last edited by GazTheHat; 15 September 2006 at 12:31 PM.
Old 15 September 2006, 12:36 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

Good post Gaz.
Old 15 September 2006, 12:43 PM
Crispy2
Scooby Newbie

I've just swapped my chipped LCR for a 2003 STi PPP.....see my recent post.

As said before, the power comes in later than on the LCR, but it keeps pulling all the way to the red line. This means that you have to think about your next move a second or two earlier than in the LCR, but if you time it right, you'll be rewarded with all the power you could ever (realistically) need.

The ride is ok. It's a bit choppy at times, and i've found that mine kind of "bobbles" down the road at low speeds. However, the grip that the car has more than makes up for this......just point it a corner and nail the accelerator.

I'll post a more detailed review/comparison in a few weeks time as i'll have had chance to do a few more miles.

Last edited by Crispy2; 15 September 2006 at 12:56 PM.
Old 15 September 2006, 12:53 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

WRX PPP is a better drivers car. Spend the difference on AST and Whiteline suspension and chassis improvements and you will keep up with STi's all day and be fresh as a daisy when you get out. STi's leave me knackered after 20 minutes.
Old 15 September 2006, 01:49 PM
Russellg911
Scooby Regular

Hey thanks for all the great replies.

I sensed that the Impreza would have quite a different feel to my Leon and all the above comments pretty much reinforce that....not strictly in a bad way though. Before my Leon I had a Civic Type-R so I guess the Scooby falls somewhere between the two in terms of where the power comes in....I have to say that after having a turbo it's hard to go back to N/A, so the Sti seemed like the logical step forward

Sadly the one I was planning to test drive tomorrow has been sold but I shall keep looking. In the meantime I'd like to say thanks to all of you for taking the time to reply.

Thank you
Russ
Old 15 September 2006, 01:51 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Nice chap
Old 15 September 2006, 01:57 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Best to go to a few dealers now then, take out a WRX and STi. That way you'll know which one you want and will help when shopping.

Also get a few insurance quotes (check out the insurance section: APlan K.Michaels etc), as the difference might make your mind up.

OT:
I recently drove a LCR, ICR and FvRS. Ended up getting the FvRS, but the LCR was nice, much better than the ICR. If i would've needed a bigger car, instead of a run-around, then the LCR might've won.
Old 15 September 2006, 02:07 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by corradoboy
WRX PPP is a better drivers car. Spend the difference on AST and Whiteline suspension and chassis improvements and you will keep up with STi's all day and be fresh as a daisy when you get out. STi's leave me knackered after 20 minutes.
Subjective though, I prefer the Sti.
Old 15 September 2006, 02:12 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MattW
Subjective though, I prefer the Sti.
Subjective, and possibly true. But that takes into the account one can afford the modifications, plus the extra on the insurance. Plus if you spent the same on the STi, it would still be in front.
Old 15 September 2006, 02:46 PM
pippyrips
Scooby Regular

Hi all

JDM STI's are civil when needed - i use mine everyday to drive to work in the city - no probs at all. Can be savage when you want though UK ones won't be far from this
Old 15 September 2006, 02:49 PM
Murphs
Scooby Newbie

Buy a WR1

Great handling, loadsa power, rare, lots of scope for development / modding.

Nicer internal and external colour's but I am biased.

I use my daily and commute 35 miles each way, still get 280 - 300 MPT too!

Cheaper to insure too than a STI with PPP.

Old 15 September 2006, 02:58 PM
bob r
Scooby Regular

great to drive
Old 15 September 2006, 08:11 PM
bluepolarbear
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pippyrips
JDM STI's are civil when needed - i use mine everyday to drive to work in the city - no probs at all. Can be savage when you want though UK ones won't be far from this
Agreed

Drive UK STI everyday, a roads, b - roads, motorways, done cross european trips. The car is noisy but not deafening, It is not the most comfortable but you can happily spend several hours behind the wheel.

Before the STI had an WRX and it makes sod all difference on how you feel after several hundred miles.

If you want to drive in an armchair buy a diesel.
Old 15 September 2006, 08:50 PM
bpm1588
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bluepolarbear
Agreed

Drive UK STI everyday, a roads, b - roads, motorways, done cross european trips. The car is noisy but not deafening, It is not the most comfortable but you can happily spend several hours behind the wheel.

Before the STI had an WRX and it makes sod all difference on how you feel after several hundred miles.

If you want to drive in an a
rmchair buy a diesel.
have to agree m8,i dont see that much in the two apart from the 5 speed box that makes the wrx a little more relaxed.

the sti is a more focused car yes but nothing a petrolhead would worry about,much better car IMHO
Old 15 September 2006, 09:36 PM
Russellg911
Scooby Regular

Wow tremendous responses

Thank you all very much. I'm going to look at a WRX PPP tomorrow with the intention of a test drive so I will give a full report

Just a query - would a regular WRX PPP still have the nice exhaust 'rumble'...not like anything loud, just that burble that scooby's are known for?

Russ
Old 15 September 2006, 09:57 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Yes
Old 15 September 2006, 10:02 PM
paulwrxboro
Scooby Regular

yes mate it will and its hard to let go....you will find yourself driving round with no radio on just listening to it
Old 15 September 2006, 10:19 PM
Russellg911
Scooby Regular

Sooooooo.........who wants to buy my 54 plate LCR?
Old 15 September 2006, 11:05 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want throttle response, little lag and effortless pull you should try an engine without a long exhaust manifold that feeds a single scroll turbo that is undersized but still produces a poor power band.

In other words, go right past the 2.0 UK Scooby with its weedy but laggy turbo and get either a JDM twin scroll or 2.5, or try an Evo. Latter has stronger engine, less lag, lower RPM boost onset, better top end, better throttle response and a stock turbo and intercooler that are streets ahead. The gearing is far more sensibly spaced, and it doesn't need chassis mods out the box to be right. With an exhaust and remap you can be at 400 BHP quite easily. Just an idea

Last edited by john banks; 15 September 2006 at 11:09 PM.
Old 16 September 2006, 12:51 AM
scooby222
Scooby Regular

had two classic imprezas and the response in them was great, loads of pull in any gear. ive now got an 05 sti ppp and the lag below 2700rpm is annoying but ive got used to it,you just have to plan overtaking to allow for changing down. on the other hand i positively love working it up and down the box on a cross country charge. but if you want instant response at low revs id look at a wrx ppp, 2.5 wrx or sti or jdm sti with twin scroll.
the sti is a much more physical and challenging car to drive really hard and get the best out of but for my part i ferkin love it
Old 16 September 2006, 06:14 PM
Russellg911
Scooby Regular

Well bit of an update lol

I went to see a WRX/PPP 52 plate at my local Subaru dealer (Quenbys in Baldock)...was hoping to be taken out in it and maybe have a go but...there was only one salesman in so all I was able to do was sit in Turned the ignition though and she sound good - the throttle and gearbox didn't feel as supple as my Leon which I was pretty much expecting...that probably comes down to the taste of the individual I suppose..

Might be popping back in the week for a full on test.
Old 16 September 2006, 06:20 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by john banks
If you want throttle response, little lag and effortless pull you should try an engine without a long exhaust manifold that feeds a single scroll turbo that is undersized but still produces a poor power band.

In other words, go right past the 2.0 UK Scooby with its weedy but laggy turbo and get either a JDM twin scroll or 2.5, or try an Evo. Latter has stronger engine, less lag, lower RPM boost onset, better top end, better throttle response and a stock turbo and intercooler that are streets ahead. The gearing is far more sensibly spaced, and it doesn't need chassis mods out the box to be right. With an exhaust and remap you can be at 400 BHP quite easily. Just an idea

But is very synthetic and devoid of any character eh John.
Old 16 September 2006, 06:56 PM
wrc350+
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Murphs
Buy a WR1

Great handling, loadsa power, rare, lots of scope for development / modding.

Nicer internal and external colour's but I am biased.

I use my daily and commute 35 miles each way, still get 280 - 300 MPT too!

Cheaper to insure too than a STI with PPP.

even more so if its got nearly 500bhp

Quick Reply: What do scoobies 'feel' like to drive..(Sti UK)