Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Test drove the Oz MY01 if anyones interested.

Search this Thread

Old 29 October 2000, 09:57 PM
Gerg2
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hi all,

I'm from Australia and drove my local dealers demo of the MY01 and like most reviews I have read, I have mixed feelings about the car.

The first thing I noticed about the car initially was the brakes. They are simply AWESOME, providing a fair bit more stopping power than previous models. However, I felt that they still do lack the "progressive" feel (ie the harder you push the more the car pulls up).

The car does handle differently as well. It is alot more precise and stable (I felt the steering was fairly light though) and under braking the car tracks dead straight (I felt the previous model got a bit squirrely in the tail end under heavy braking).

The biggest improvement for me personally was the ride quality. Finally we have a Rex that I would drive on a long trip comfortably. It is just soooooo smooth, provinding far less feedback over small bumps and undulations and all this is happening on 17" wheels. Actually the demo car I drove had 18" wheels fitted (which I though odd for a demo car) so I'd would predit the 17's would be more comfortable.

Now the topic everyone is talking about....POWER DELIVERY. It has a very smooth power curve with (practically) no turbo rush. Its not AS laggy as previous models I've driven so it gives the illusion that it doesnt go as hard.
In fact it doesnt go as hard...it's impossible....the car has the same power output and the Ozzie version has gained 120 kgs of pork over the previous model (I think UK spec has gained 140 ) so the power/weight has been shot to pieces.
After saying that however, I do believe that the car pretty much gets up to speed just (or almost) as fast as MY00 etc because power/torque is being made earlier in the curve with hardly any lag. It just feels slower, like the car has "asthma". In a drag with proper takeoff revs etc the old model would beat it, but I think with a normal takeoff they would be pretty even (I hope I've explained this okay).
Anyway all this can be fixed by fitting some mods from these guys
Old 29 October 2000, 11:16 PM
Hunk
Scooby Regular

Thanks! Nice review. Part of the weightincrease is due to the 17"alloy/aircon/abs/airbags etc that were fitted on a lot of MY00 Scoobs in aftermarket but were not counted for in the stats. Am i wrong?

[This message has been edited by Hunk (edited 29 October 2000).]
Old 29 October 2000, 11:26 PM
Gerg2
Scooby Regular

The 17's would be a little haevier but I think the majority of the weight increase has come from the increased rigidy (apparantly 250%!!!) in the shell. And there are a lot of added safetey features like side impact protection etc. This is what I could pick from the brochure and general info I've seen and it "looks" to be a physically bigger car. There was another in the showroom right next to an MY00 and the newie looked wider and a bit longer (could be dreaming though).
Old 29 October 2000, 11:46 PM
Hunk
Scooby Regular

Subare gets a lot of bashing for the weight but it is a bigger car with weight-adding extra's like the heavy aircon and the vastly improved crash worthyness and it's being sold for the same price. So, about the weight, is it fair to blame Subaru? Making the car much lighter would take another 5k for the alu/titanium/etc parts, wouldn't it? I guess marketresearch has shown them people are not willing to pay the extra amount.. what was Subare supposed to do? Not bring the car up to today's standards for safety and luxery? Forget about side-impact protection, abs, aircon, flushier carpets, etc? I think they should have added 25 bhp for marketing, even if it would bring a small increase in price. Now they have worked on environmental issues for the us-market and a somewhat better mpg ratio.
Old 30 October 2000, 03:39 AM
bugwaan
Scooby Regular

Cool

Gerg2 & Hunk

I have been the proud owner od a 4 door WRX MY01 since 23-10-00 and can say that it is a truly amazing car.
I'm coming from a Pug 306 so its a real revelation. I really thought the Pug handled excellently...its real good but hasnt a patch on the WRX...Thats when I realised just how good the REX is.
It may not be as quick as the MY00 model and prior, but to me its fantastic and at the end of the day, thats what counts. It pulls strong..its smooth...its quiet....it looks gr8 ( i think so anyway..i know you guys dont) and all for under $50K.
Forget the turbo for a second and look at all the other appointments to the car and the quality...I reckon its every bit as good as any car that has ever come out of Japan..
Sure, it aint no Porsche but its close...
So at the end of the day..0-100knh is pointless ( i like my clutch)...mid - range is the key and the new WRX goes gr8..
Like I said..it may be a tad slower but hell...look at what you actually get...
I wouldnt ahev ever owned the previous WRX coz quite frankly other than it going like the clappers...its actually a cheap ****ty car...
I like refinement...
Old 30 October 2000, 04:28 AM
Hunk
Scooby Regular

the cart is dead, long live the car.. well, im not happy with the headlights... but it's nice to read a positive line or two about this NewAge model. As mentioned before, what better car can i buy on this budget? Enhanced safety is reason enough for me to prevale it above the MY00. I DO think the trade-in value will be better to, in a year or three the current Impreza will look dated. With some exhaust/performance mods the new one can have something of the old caracter back... i must be having a great time with it, can't wait..
Old 30 October 2000, 04:47 AM
Gerg2
Scooby Regular

Dont get me wrong. I think the new one STILL goes like the clappers. It just does it in a more drivable way. Its kindof like comparing the way motorcycle powerbands (esp 2 strokes) have evolved over the years. Modern day MX bikes are heavier than older ones but the power delivery makes them faster coz they are more user friendly. I'd like to see the two cars (MY00 MY01) head 2 head on a track. Forget about handling and focus on power....with a punchier midrange and bottom end (and smooth deleivery) I would say it would be pretty even (you dont slip the clutch on a racetrack). So while the old model is still building power coz of lag, the new model has already built the power. And as far as handling goes, I think the newy would win.
I will update exhaust and ECU though, because I enjoy 0-100 times (bragging rights hehe).....

[This message has been edited by Gerg2 (edited 30 October 2000).]

Trending Topics

Old 30 October 2000, 06:11 AM
Hunk
Scooby Regular

I realised just a moment ago you ozzies are pretty lonely on this bbs, it being daytime downunder when we (...) are all asleep..
Old 30 October 2000, 10:50 AM
bugwaan
Scooby Regular

Talking

Look at it this way......

When you are asleep we are driving our WRX's and when we are asleep you are driving your WRX's...So its actually a good thing...
The WRX's are thefore constantly being driven.
Thats gotta be a good thing....
Old 30 October 2000, 11:10 AM
steve down under
Scooby Newbie

Unless like me your partner drives when u drink (I drink she doesnt).
I have never seen her so happy for me to have a stubby(beer).
Cost me a bunch of flowers on the weekend cos it woz supposed to be her turn!!!
Cant be the only one? do tell!!.
Old 30 October 2000, 12:04 PM
Gerg2
Scooby Regular

Good points there. I think Subarus point of view is in fact to keeps produciotn costs down. The Rex is afterall the fastest thing under 50k (Australian pesos) and I guess that would be a driving factor for them still. Apparantly the Japanese version puts out 184 kwts (compared to our 160) and this is supposedly because of our 95 RON fuel. I dont really buy that however becuase kits you can buy fairly cheaply give dramatic power increases and can be used on 98 RON PULP.

The new model has gone back to an alluminium bonnet and other weight saving measures as well. Imagine the weight without them.
Old 30 October 2000, 12:09 PM
Hunk
Scooby Regular

My Citroen DS has an alu bonnet and the newprice for the whole car was $ 5000,-! Things change in 35 years...