Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upgrading from a 'sofa' to an STI?

Search this Thread

Old 17 August 2006, 05:47 PM
quayside456
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upgrading from a 'sofa' to an STI?

I currently drive a Vauxhall Omega and do around 20,000 a year (a lot of long motorway trips). The vauxhall is going to be replaced and I want to purchase a more interesting car! Current thoughts are a WRX STI (2003/4) but I have a number of questions.....

1. How noisy is the STI on a motorway. If I sit at 80 for 200 miles will I have a headache and aching limbs at the end of the trip?

2. I've read that tyres and pads last around 10,000 miles. Is this an average, or could I expect more from motorway miles? (Omega is around 20,000 for tyres)

3. Fuel consumption. Omega averages around 26 (32 on motorway). I don't think the STI is far from that? (Company provides me with a fuel card, so not too worried).

4. Servicing. Omega has something unexpected at every service and so bumps up the price. What are the average service prices for an STI?

5. Insurance. I've had some reasonble quotes (£500 to £600; over 40 and clean licence).

Therefore, unless I'm missing something I don't think the STI should cost much more than my current Omega costs to run?
Old 17 August 2006, 05:52 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

An STi is a poor choice for a motorway car.
Old 17 August 2006, 06:08 PM
WRX Blues
Scooby Regular

Agree with TopBanana - just got rid of my MY2003 JDM because it was horrible on motorway commute - I actually got 'white finger syndrome' - normally associated with site workers using breaker guns!
Back in a boggo UK Turbo 2000 - it's brilliant on motorways in comparison.
UK STi probably better - I think gears are longer - JDM STi in 6th gear at 4,000 rpm = 80mph, UK Turbo in 5th at 4,000 = 95mph!
Old 17 August 2006, 06:08 PM
disrupta
BANNED

Originally Posted by TopBanana
An STi is a poor choice for a motorway car.
Very helpful you fu.u.c.k.i.n.g nugget.

Sorry orginal poster i cant help you, but ignore tossers like this gimp.
Old 17 August 2006, 06:25 PM
briforbes
Scooby Regular

Very helpful you fu.u.c.k.i.n.g nugget.

Sorry orginal poster i cant help you, but ignore tossers like this gimp.
Sounds to me like perhaps it isn't TopBanana who's the "fu.u.c.k.i.n.g nugget", but the aptly named "Disrupta"...

All TopBanana has stated, and quite rightly so, is that the STI isn't a good choice for running up motorway miles, perhaps due to the stiff suspension and awkward gearing. I've got one, and I couldn't agree more.

Disrupta, your attitude is pathetic, perhaps you should have a quiet word with yourself in the corner before breaking out the Keyboard Warrior suit again?
Old 17 August 2006, 06:27 PM
disrupta
BANNED

Originally Posted by briforbes
Sounds to me like perhaps it isn't TopBanana who's the "fu.u.c.k.i.n.g nugget", but the aptly named "Disrupta"...

All TopBanana has stated, and quite rightly so, is that the STI isn't a good choice for running up motorway miles, perhaps due to the stiff suspension and awkward gearing. I've got one, and I couldn't agree more.

Disrupta, your attitude is pathetic, perhaps you should have a quiet word with yourself in the corner before breaking out the Keyboard Warrior suit again?
Why dont you pm me your mobile nunber you f.u.c.king pervert paedophile and ill happily come beat the s.h.i.t out of you.
Old 17 August 2006, 06:30 PM
briforbes
Scooby Regular

How about no?
Old 17 August 2006, 06:38 PM
swifty.....!
Scooby Regular

i've got an 05 sti with prodrive springs and recently done two round trips one of 500miles and one of 600miles and noise wise want that bad and was in all comfy journeys but as with owt its your own personal taste.

you could always try and see if subaru will let you have a 24hour test drive i know they used to do this not so sure if they still do but then you'd know first hand.
Old 17 August 2006, 06:45 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

Disrupta, who is this guy- how does one go about making a complaint to get him barred. In such a short period of time ive not seen so many profanities and threats of violence. What a berk
Old 17 August 2006, 06:48 PM
disrupta
BANNED

Originally Posted by andy97
Disrupta, who is this guy- how does one go about making a complaint to get him barred. In such a short period of time ive not seen so many profanities and threats of violence. What a berk
Jobsworth!

Ideal job for you mug trafic warden as you dont ahve the iq to be a copper and your also probably a obese.
Old 17 August 2006, 06:51 PM
Scoobdogg
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by disrupta
Why dont you pm me your mobile nunber you f.u.c.king pervert paedophile and ill happily come beat the s.h.i.t out of you.

Back on topic ive driven back an forth from germany a fair few times an used to do regular motorway miles in the uk in mine.
1)Noise wise it'll only really be a problem if you have an aftermarket exhaust fitted. (which even then will provide a nice burble)
2)Interior wise i dont think you'll find much more comfort the Sti seats hold you nicely.
The only issue i would have regarding long mileage would be the fuel costs but since your company provides the fuel then go for it!.
Old 17 August 2006, 08:08 PM
bluepolarbear
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by quayside456
I currently drive a Vauxhall Omega and do around 20,000 a year (a lot of long motorway trips). The vauxhall is going to be replaced and I want to purchase a more interesting car! Current thoughts are a WRX STI (2003/4) but I have a number of questions.....
I've got a MY04 Std STI as a company car and do same miles. The nice thing about the impreza is it's versatility. Sure it is performance oriented but it can do miles, it can do motorway, it can do the school run, it can do stop start etc. It is not going to be best in clase but it is OK in all areas

1. How noisy is the STI on a motorway. If I sit at 80 for 200 miles will I have a headache and aching limbs at the end of the trip?
The car is noisy, noisier than most rep mobiles and significantly noisier than your omega. However, can you have a conversation with a passenger - yes, can you make a phone call - yes. Turn the radio up and it is not a problem. You can do 200 miles and get out the car refreshed, the seats are very comfortable, you won't have a headache or aching limbs. The car is firm but motorway's are smooth enough not to be a problem with bumps.

2. I've read that tyres and pads last around 10,000 miles. Is this an average, or could I expect more from motorway miles? (Omega is around 20,000 for tyres)
Dependant on driving of course, but you will have to be going some to get through them in 10,000. At 20,000 from new the replaced all four wheels, pads and discs at the service. I don't see the bill so don't know the cost, tyres are around £700 for the set, I suspect it is same again for the brakes plus labour.

3. Fuel consumption. Omega averages around 26 (32 on motorway). I don't think the STI is far from that? (Company provides me with a fuel card, so not too worried).
At 80 she will return around 24, at 95 around 22 and at 70 around 28 and over 30 if you stick to 60. Fuel is a big issue for big miles but if you have a fuel card you have just nullified the major joker of owning the STI. However, remember that it is 35% company car tax
4. Servicing. Omega has something unexpected at every service and so bumps up the price. What are the average service prices for an STI?
Can't really help as I have never seen the bill in 9 years of impreza ownership. Servicing is every 10,000 miles alternating minor / major. So I'm guessing you are probably looking at £750 each year (remember to add the brakes and tyres to this)

5. Insurance. I've had some reasonble quotes (£500 to £600; over 40 and clean licence).
Again, never see the bill, it is group 20 but £500 seems good

Therefore, unless I'm missing something I don't think the STI should cost much more than my current Omega costs to run?
It will cost more - servicing and wear and tyre are more as is fuel (taxable benefit is higher) how much depends on what it costs for the Omega
Old 18 August 2006, 08:06 PM
quayside456
Scooby Newbie

Thanks Bluepolarbear, this is the sort of reply I wanted and you have not put me off investigating an STI. The car would be financed by myself and not the company, therefore, company car tax doesn't apply - fuel card is provided by the company, which is why I'm investigating the STI, company only asks for engine size :-).

£750 servicing a year is about the same as the Omega. Mine is a 3.2 Omega with 235x45x17 tyres which last around 25,000 on the motorway (provided they point to the right direction, otherwise less than 10,000).

My main concern was noise and discomfort, Omega is quiet and comfortable, but you have started to put me at rest - thanks for your input.
Old 18 August 2006, 10:50 PM
GeoffMM
Scooby Regular

your sti will be fine on a motorway as i also have a 2003 sti uk. however doing 200 miles will see a full tankful of petrol or £50 in real terms
Old 18 August 2006, 11:32 PM
imprezarb5
Scooby Regular

i have a 2003 STI ,and find it ok on motorway journeys. generally get around 240 miles to a tank but this is nearer to 300 if all motorway. go for it mate. my only gripes have been fuel costs and stonechips, suggest you get something like armourfend on the front bumper. otherwise superb car. servicing, tyres and brakes no worse than average as long as you are not launching the car every 5 mins. Servicing costs certainly much better than a Lancer Evo, which require a visit to the dealer every 4.5 k !!
Old 18 August 2006, 11:52 PM
bob r
Scooby Regular

disrupta-banned shame.

obviously an alias
Old 19 August 2006, 12:35 AM
GarethE
Scooby Regular

I drive around 35,000 miles a year and owned an 03 STi PPP with Prodrive springs (it covered 50,000 miles). Its not an uncomfortable car, but I now drive an 05 WRX PPP SL ( 18 months old and 53,000 on the clock).

As ultimate performance isn't your goal, I'd recommend the WRX with PPP - 95 % of the time its almost as quick as the STi , smoother on the long runs and more economical, and cheaper on servicing and definately cheaper when it comes to replacing tyres, brake pads, discs etc.

The STi doesn't make sense as a high mileage car compaired to the WRX PPP, BUT the STi will do the miles if you really want one.

Hope that helps

Gareth

Last edited by GarethE; 19 August 2006 at 01:02 AM.
Old 19 August 2006, 09:17 AM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

I cant understand why anyone would want an STi as a commuter car....

Its greedy as hell
Not great on comfort
and will depreciate like a ballon going down.

Your better off with a big barge for the commute and a toy for the weekend.

Gary
Old 19 August 2006, 09:47 AM
GeoffMM
Scooby Regular

dont get put off. if you buy a second hand sti at the right money and don't like it you can always sell it on.
Go for it~!!!
Old 20 August 2006, 02:42 PM
davedipster
Scooby Senior

Get a used tidy 03sti m8, top cars.
I've done 28k miles now and it's an OK motorway car. With the PPP or remap you can easily cruise in 6th and still punch away from most without changing. This makes it a surprisingly good long distance car. Noisy yes, but that's mostly cos I've got re070 tyres.

Dipster