ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

My dads Dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 05 August 2006, 11:48 AM
SC008Y_MAD
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation My dads Dilemma

This Dilemma (now sorted read on) relates to what SwissTony was going on about garage good/bad comments of the service and customer satisfaction etc… see his thread here: https://www.scoobynet.com/idea-sn-co....html?t=533154

A few weeks ago my dad booked his WRX in for a 40k service at the garage where he brought it from, Quenbys in Baldock, Herts. When he came to pick the car up the service manager said that the rear diff pinion oil seal was leaking and mentioned NOTHING ELSE!. They did not have the part there and then, so my dad would have to re book it in at a later date. Ok fine, so my dad paid for the 40k service bill and went on his way.

My dad said to us (his wife and me) that he would book it in to a new, nearer (4 miles away) Subaru garage at Slip End, nr. Luton as this was easier and more convenient. So he booked it in there to have that pinion seal done. When he (my dad) came to pick his scoob up after driving a C5 (as the garage is a part Citroën part Isuzu garage), the person behind the counter said your NSR shock absorber (damper) was leaking and the rear tyres are bald on the inside edge. My dad told them that the tyres which are now on the rear where on the front after he had the tracking done. So now they should wear evenly. They said that they would change the rear tyres for him (they where fairly new ones) and also the rear shock there and then - book it in for that.

The price of these, the damper would be £133.86 - for the part only! And the tyres £103.81 for Bridgestone re050 I think they are.

My dad left it at that and looked at the price for the pinion oil seal.

He looked at the price and saw it was £183.62 when my dad was quoted it nearer £100 would be, so the person behind the counter said we will give you the £75.96 back as a 'credit for labour to agreed price'. Something very fishy to drop the price just like that without any hesitation

This got my dad thinking. Maybe it was not such a good idea to take the car to a Subaru garage that was nearer.

So my dad phoned up Quenbys in Baldock and asked if he could pop the car in for them to have a look at the tyres and the shock this Saturday morning.

Guess what, the shock is perfectly fine and the service manager showed us where the shocks usually leak from. Dry as a bone. He said that was the day that he took the car into slip end garage a wet/damp one. My dad said a little. You know what is coming….If the road was wet and that would mean the arches and especially the suspension would get wet which the mechanics should of realised it was wet, and not of think for a minute that instead of the damper leaking as they said, it was just rain water.

Then the tyres which are perfectly fine and are with in the mot standard. He explained the area and thread depth that they have to be in to be legal/mot pass etc…

Also my dad asked if they could somehow re-screw in the top bolt for the o/s front mud flap (it came out whilst we where on hols a few months ago), so he did, but with a screw, as the nut or ‘bit’ had gone missing from behind the wing.

Guess how much this cost my dad this morning?
Nothing.

My dad will now think twice before going anywhere else other than Quenbys as they have been a very good garage and showroom. Very firendly (esp. Paul C).

So if my dad did not have his common sence and wits about him, he could of been worse of for parts (NSR shock absorber and two tyres) that did not need to be changed.

If any of you are local to Quenbys and you get your Subarus from them and heard that they are closing. They are not; they have just lost the partnership for selling Isuzu, so they, Quenbys just sell Subarus now.

Heres a thread about Quenbys https://www.scoobynet.com/archive/qu...d-t196434.html

Last edited by SC008Y_MAD; 05 August 2006 at 11:50 AM.
Old 06 August 2006, 01:47 PM
SC008Y_MAD
Scooby Regular

87 views and not one comment
Old 06 August 2006, 02:14 PM
brihoppy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SC008Y_MAD
87 views and not one comment
i think the parts and service dept have got a stinking attitude...theres a comment for you...!!!
Old 06 August 2006, 02:24 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My dads Dilemma
And the dilemma is??????????????
Old 06 August 2006, 02:33 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Brun
And the dilemma is??????????????
A dilemma is a difficult choice to be made between two equally unsatisfactory courses of action. It's not simply a "choice" or a "problem". Is that what you mean, Brun?
Old 06 August 2006, 02:35 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Spot on - cheers Bubba
Old 06 August 2006, 02:53 PM
casualhero
Scooby Regular

I use Quenby and a few weeks took it in with a clunky OSR strut which they tested, confirmed and order up the part. A week later they told me they'd had a part with the correct part number on it but it was a windscreen wiper arm so not gonna be too helpful in keeping the back right on the tarmac... "Correct" part arrived a few days later and the car went in for surgery.

When I got into it at the end of the day I figured I was being uber-critical in thinking that the back still sounded clunky. Still, it was only a short drive back to work so I forgot about it until wandering to the car at the end of the day, with nearside facing me I thought the strut looked remarkably shiney for 20k old item - yep, the look underneath indicated NSR brand new and therefore no surprise that the OSR still rattled like a dog (a very rattly dog for the pedants amongst you on use of similies).

Anyway, Quenby admitted the goof cos all the notes said OSR and now I've got two shiney, rattle free struts on the back

Stuff happens I figure and if it gets sorted then all's cool.

No excuse for bad calls like the fake leaker tho!! I've made a note to stick with the devil I know in the Herts servicing game....