Sponsored by:

STOLEN SCOOBYS

Search this Thread

Old 31 July 2006, 12:16 PM
uko4wrx
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default STOLEN SCOOBYS

Following the the loss of Robins wr1, I am looking at the snap off idea for my STI as I was at Donnington yesterday for the BTCC and worried about the car NOT being there when I got back.
Does anyone know if you can get a boss for the 04 STI keeping the existing Steering wheel?

ps I think Trackstar are F***ing useless!!

Paul UK04 WRX
Old 31 July 2006, 12:28 PM
marmski
Scooby Regular

agreed with above and would be interested.

Im sure we can get enough from here for a group buy if such thing does exist.
Old 31 July 2006, 12:48 PM
Daz1121
Scooby Regular

I was at Donington over the weekend too but staying on the campsite by the paddock entrance. Am always concerned when parking at a circuit as it can be a thieves paradise for nicking cars. I have a tracker fitted (Tracker Monitor) which I know works as I had it tested not long after fitting. I've noticed that some people with Trackers fitted have stickers on the car windows to say a Tracker is fitted. Is this really a good idea as if a thief knows a Tracker is fitted then they will look for it in the car before taking it.
Old 31 July 2006, 01:34 PM
Chelspeed
Scooby Regular

Really not sure how a removeable steering wheel will work with modern cars as the main air bag is built into the middle of the wheel.

If you kept the standard wheel and wanted to keep the air bag functional then you'd have to remake the electrical connection each time you took it on and off. And airbags have explosives to inflate them so not a good idea to be fiddling with the electrics to them.

If you fit an aftermarket wheel (would have to be one of these!!!) or if you want to keep the standard wheel with non-functional airbag then you'd need to frig the electrics to avoid getting an air bag warning light on the dash for the next 5 years.

Finally is air bag function part of the MOT? I think not but I'm not sure.
Old 31 July 2006, 01:52 PM
miltski
Scooby Regular

snap off group buy anyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 31 July 2006, 02:14 PM
Tim W
Scooby Regular

Before you all get carried away, you cannot retain the drivers airbag with a snap off steering wheel!

A Disclock is a relatively cheap and obvious deterant, they really are very effective and simple.
Old 31 July 2006, 02:46 PM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Daz1121
I was at Donington over the weekend too but staying on the campsite by the paddock entrance. Am always concerned when parking at a circuit as it can be a thieves paradise for nicking cars. I have a tracker fitted (Tracker Monitor) which I know works as I had it tested not long after fitting. I've noticed that some people with Trackers fitted have stickers on the car windows to say a Tracker is fitted. Is this really a good idea as if a thief knows a Tracker is fitted then they will look for it in the car before taking it.
Nope, Tracker recommend you don't put stickers up otherwise the crims will look for it and tear it out. The problem is these days, the crims know all the car models with have these fitted as standard anyway - and more worryingly they only take a couple of minutes to find/disable if you know where to look.
Old 31 July 2006, 04:29 PM
fabulous555
Scooby Regular

A decent steering lock lives on mine. Cheap and effective. It also means youv got a brilliant chib when things kick off!
Old 31 July 2006, 05:13 PM
Useless
Scooby Regular

Whilst I agree that having no steering wheel in your car is a huge deterent to thieves, are you seriously going to carry around your steering with you?!

If you put it under the seat or in the boot then does that no negate the point of doing it in the first place?

There was a test a few years ago about thieves trying to get past steering and disc locks and the disc lock came out on top, taking a thief over 20 minute to remove it.

Ben
Old 31 July 2006, 05:19 PM
miltski
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Useless
Whilst I agree that having no steering wheel in your car is a huge deterent to thieves, are you seriously going to carry around your steering with you?!

If you put it under the seat or in the boot then does that no negate the point of doing it in the first place?

There was a test a few years ago about thieves trying to get past steering and disc locks and the disc lock came out on top, taking a thief over 20 minute to remove it.

Ben
when the car is parked in the evening i would take the steering wheel indoors, and the only othre time i really take the car out and leave it unattended is when i park it in the yard at work, but if i were to go to a friends house or something then i would take the steering wheel in with me,
just emailed dave at demon tweeks and asked about a group buy, waiting for a response, but found out that i would have to get snap off kit, hub and momo steering wheel, so it looks like disk lock is the answer for the time being, and perhaps the insurance companies might accept that it is a security device not an add on (i started another thread on this)
where's the best place for disk locks people?
Old 31 July 2006, 06:41 PM
marmski
Scooby Regular

I wonder how much it would cost to get someone to sit in my car with a shotgun 24/7. I heard importing is cheapest?

Anyone for a group buy?
Old 31 July 2006, 07:19 PM
superstar1
BANNED

Originally Posted by Iwan
Nope, Tracker recommend you don't put stickers up otherwise the crims will look for it and tear it out. The problem is these days, the crims know all the car models with have these fitted as standard anyway - and more worryingly they only take a couple of minutes to find/disable if you know where to look.
What a good idea, mine has'nt got a tracker but i think i'll just fit a sticker and the crims will spend valuable time looking for something that is'nt there
Old 31 July 2006, 07:29 PM
specialx
Former Sponsor

Got to be a disclock all the way, pain in the **** when it's clonking away behind the passenger seat but great when I have to leave the scoob in a strange place. It just pisses me off that I get no discount on my insurance as it rellies on me putting it on unlike the alarm that comes on automatically like I would forget!

ads
Old 31 July 2006, 10:47 PM
Tuts
Scooby Regular

Just go in halfords. Thats where i got mine. I got the silver one and i think it is a small one. Cant remember but if you ask they will let you try it to see if you have the right size. Cant even remember what I paid for it now but it was probably about 60-70 quid. Seconds to fit once you have done it a couple of times so it isnt even a chore to do now. Nothing better imo. No quick way round them unless you have a tow truck, but if they have a tow truck then you know they mean business!
Old 31 July 2006, 10:59 PM
StudentScooby
Scooby Regular

Got mine off ebay it was the chromo one with carry case it was cheaper than halfrauds
Old 31 July 2006, 11:44 PM
Smiler-Wrx
Scooby Regular

I know Costco do them cheap
Old 31 July 2006, 11:46 PM
Smurf2k
Scooby Regular

the halfruads one is a cat 2 so no % off insurance. If I had known that I would of spent the extra £20 and got the proper disklok which is cat 1 and gets a % off the insurance.

Least thast what A-Plan told me
Old 31 July 2006, 11:55 PM
THOMO
Scooby Regular

take a fuse out from the engine and the car wont go anywhere. dont ask me which one.the scum wont carry spare fuses .i did it in my old scoob when i was in dodgy areas.

Last edited by THOMO; 31 July 2006 at 11:58 PM.
Old 01 August 2006, 09:37 AM
Tim W
Scooby Regular

The proper Disklok (finally got the spelling right!) is a CAT 3 rated product: http://www.disklokuk.co.uk
Old 01 August 2006, 09:56 AM
LongTimeLurker
Scooby Regular

Disklok are very good deterrent in my book, they are a visual indicator and a pain in the **** so will put off the casual thief. The down side of electronic protection is you can’t advertise it bar a flashing led or two and made be a window sticker for obvious reasons. So a would be thief may try their luck in the hope the led is fake or the window stickers were bought off ebay for a couple of quid but at the point the damage is done.

Costco do the small yellow disklok for about £45 when they have stock or get a nice chrome one from ebay for £64 (with a free disklok bag) , bargain at either price if it stops / delay the scum.

Last edited by LongTimeLurker; 01 August 2006 at 10:01 AM.
Old 01 August 2006, 11:33 AM
WRX_Dazza
Scooby Regular

Location: Going further than the station and back !!! ZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzz

Originally Posted by fabulous555
A decent steering lock lives on mine. Cheap and effective. It also means youv got a brilliant chib when things kick off!

ditto for this...!!!
Old 01 August 2006, 12:47 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Smurf2k
the halfruads one is a cat 2 so no % off insurance. If I had known that I would of spent the extra £20 and got the proper disklok which is cat 1 and gets a % off the insurance.

Least thast what A-Plan told me
IIRC Thatcham Cat 1 only relates to self arming electronic immobilisation and alarm devices. Cat 2 can cover those which do not self-arm. Manually fitted physical security devices come under Cat 3, and tracking devices I believe are classified under Cat Q.

Echo what somebody else said about Snap-Off boss's and airbags, although to pass an MOT, any device fitted to the car must be in full working order. If you no longer have an airbag fitted you should still pass.
Old 01 August 2006, 12:56 PM
gotmashed
Scooby Regular

trakers work off a sim card so all you need is a phone blocker and bingo no more car
Old 01 August 2006, 01:08 PM
DazW
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by THOMO
take a fuse out from the engine and the car wont go anywhere. dont ask me which one.the scum wont carry spare fuses .i did it in my old scoob when i was in dodgy areas.
Or fit an external FIA igniton/fuel cut switch ...confuses them for hours ...& also useful when you find yourself upside down in a gravel trap on a trackday!!!
Old 01 August 2006, 02:29 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by uko4wrx
Following the the loss of Robins wr1, I am looking at the snap off idea for my STI as I was at Donnington yesterday for the BTCC and worried about the car NOT being there when I got back.
Does anyone know if you can get a boss for the 04 STI keeping the existing Steering wheel?

ps I think Trackstar are F***ing useless!!

Paul UK04 WRX
Just do what some guy did in the early Nineties with his Sierra Sapphire Cosworth. Hook it up to the mains. No one will nick it then
Old 01 August 2006, 02:51 PM
ADY 555
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stilover
Just do what some guy did in the early Nineties with his Sierra Sapphire Cosworth. Hook it up to the mains. No one will nick it then
A bit differcult when you're parked in the middle of a field besides thats a shocking idea.
Old 01 August 2006, 02:56 PM
RobinSherwood
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by gotmashed
trakers work off a sim card so all you need is a phone blocker and bingo no more car
See my update re the theft of my WR1 the ******* have been using the SIM in a mobile phone

Robin
Old 01 August 2006, 03:02 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Useless

Attach it to your crotch....

...It'll drive your nuts though

(sorry, gets coat)

As a note to anti theft, taking the ignitor module along with you will make things harder for them....they'll need to tow it out
Old 01 August 2006, 03:21 PM
g7prs
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got an auto taser a couple of years ago after my last car got screwed, its a steering look that has copper conductors along its sides and once it has been armed if the steering wheel is moved it sets it off. This causes 50000 volts to pass along the conductors. It is slightly illegal in this counrty but so is breaking into cars so f@ck them.
http://www.finalstop.com/pepper/autotaser/autotaser.htm
Old 01 August 2006, 04:07 PM
internethoudini
Scooby Regular

My preferred method of car security would be to replace the the airbag with a 3 ft steel spike! fit the car with retina recognition so when the damn ****** jumps in to make off with my pride and joy i get to come back and find him impailed to the seats with a "wish i hadnt bothered look" painted on his chevvy chase. Alternatively i suggest you watch the add number 4 on this link http://www.trunkmonkeyad.com
then apply for a license to keep a primate! ive put my paperwork in for a silver back gorilla.

Quick Reply: STOLEN SCOOBYS