Sponsored by:

Mods that dont need a remap?

Search this Thread

Old 29 July 2006, 05:23 PM
AdamCrank
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mods that dont need a remap?

Evening all, ive arranged to go and have a look at a nice Mica Red uk turbo tomorrow morning ( MY99, 63k miles, unmodified ) hes asking 5,700 for it - what do you lot think? I'll try to knock him down a bit.

Anyway i was wondering what sort of exhaust mods you can do that dont require a remap. I dont want to get to the stage where ive spent 100's of pounds on exhaust parts and then need to fork out another £600 for a remap.

Do the uk turbo's have two cats? I would probably just be happy with an Afterburner Vortex backbox to release the subaru burble but thought at a later date if i was able to remove one of the cats ( either through mid section or downpipe ) without needing to spend money on a remap then that is something extra i would do.

On a side note - is their anything you lot would recommend i buy now whilst ive got the cash? Ive heard the audio equipment is pretty dire in scooby's so should i look at scooby worlds audio packages, uprate the suspension bushes, heard someone mention removing something from the air filter to allow better flow etc?

Thanks, sorry for the long post!

Adam
Old 29 July 2006, 05:28 PM
XR-Wayne
Scooby Regular

If you start messing with the Air filter and so on il sure you will need a Map.
Just change the Back box and centre Section, Get a decents Suspention setup, uprate the brakes if you want.
Get a Decent set of Gauges and a Knocklink, Oil Temp, Oil Pressure, and Boost.

When you start messing with decats you will need a map to benifit from it.

I may of missed sommin out but thats because im typing in a Hurry and im sure some one else will post soon.

Hope that Helps
Old 29 July 2006, 05:31 PM
DIPSY
Scooby Regular

The uk turbos yes have two cats .Change the center and backbox .But watch which panel filter you buy the my99/00 the maf sensor is very sensitve on these years .No need for a remap with just changing the airfilter its when you change the downpipe its better to get a remap done after the down pipe is fitted

Last edited by DIPSY; 29 July 2006 at 05:35 PM.
Old 29 July 2006, 05:34 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

you can do the whole exhaust without needing to remap it, a remap will make the most of the changes though.

would recommend uprated springs (for looks and feel) uprated pads and braided hoses, brake support bracket makes an improvement and as you say, the stereo is pants so go for a head unit and front speaker change.

i think the air filter removal bit is a resonator, but to be honest unless you're after wringing every bhp out of the car just stick with a panel change

bit out of touch with prices i'm afraid but it sounds in the ball park
Old 29 July 2006, 05:49 PM
AdamCrank
Scooby Regular

Hey chaps, thanks for the feedback

I thought once you started replacing the whole exhaust you needed a remap so you didnt lean out the engine or something like that?

So you think ill be ok with a backbox and centre section, will the car pass an MOT like this?
I was thinking of just a panel filter instead of an Induction Kit. Would the K&N panel filter be ok or is it oiled, or even the green panel filter?

Im not going too overboard with the mods this time, you never make the money back when you come to sell the car and people seem to want to buy standard cars anyway.

Thanks again

Adam
Old 29 July 2006, 05:54 PM
F1 CJE UK
Scooby Regular

I got a Afterburner Vortex backbox and they are a great bit of kit sound so good
Old 29 July 2006, 06:06 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

personally i'd change the downpipe to cat free along with the backbox, leaving the centre cat in place as this should be fine to pass the MOT on it's own.

panel filter like the k&n or green is perfect.

as far as i'm aware the car over fuels as std and even a full decat won't give you any probs
Old 29 July 2006, 08:09 PM
AdamCrank
Scooby Regular

Thanks fellas, your help is most appreciated.

Lets just hope the car im viewing tomorrow is the one...

Ta

AdamC
Old 29 July 2006, 09:12 PM
scoobfan
Scooby Regular

You won't need a Knocklink on a UK car either !

Rob
Old 30 July 2006, 01:56 AM
SamUK
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by scoobfan
You won't need a Knocklink on a UK car either !

Rob
why?
Old 30 July 2006, 02:14 AM
StudentScooby
Scooby Regular

Why would you?
Old 30 July 2006, 01:44 PM
jonathan100
Scooby Regular

i've got a 99 uk turbo mate with full de-cat and afterburner vortex back box and a green fillter. i've not had the car mapped yet and it's fine no over boost etc. i'd fit a boost gauge just to keep an eye on the boost level.
you don't need a knocklink cuz the ecu is mapped to run on 97ron fule not 100ron like jdm scoobs. i run mine on optimax but you would get away with normal supper (97ron) hope this helps
Old 30 July 2006, 01:56 PM
SW Sport Pilot
Scooby Regular

I got a My00 saloon in Mica Red mate, Im running a HKS Super Hybrid panel filter. from what i understand it needs an unoiled panel as an oiled one can mess up the fragile mafs that these units use and a custom made 3" stainless steel catback system to get rid of the centre cat and il be putting a sports cat down pipe at some point and from what i gather i will not need a remap initially untill i want further mods.

Cheers

Ian
Old 30 July 2006, 03:06 PM
AdamCrank
Scooby Regular

Hey guys, just got back from looking at the car and its a beauty. Mica Red, 63k miles, standard apart from a Magnex Backbox, 4 brand new tyres, clean engine etc.

It runs like a dream, he took it for a run and floored it - now my MR2 Turbo is fast but this thing just stuck to the road like cement ( never been so scared in my life!! ) he was taking corners that i would take at 40 but he was driving at like 80!!! I had a go and it felt solid, safer than my MR2 and very responsive.

Tested the clutch by putting it in 4th at about 25/30mph and flooring it, no slip whatsoever. Nice hugging seats in it as well.

Managed to knock him down from 5,700 to 5,200 - i pick it up next saturday when ive arranged insurance.

Trouble i have now is that i still need to insure my MR2 for when i take people out for test drives. What do insurance companies do in that situation, charge you a bit extra for insuring both cars?

Thanks

Adam
Old 30 July 2006, 03:14 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

If the mr2 is in your name then just speak with the insurance co when you get the scoob insurance. If it isnt in your name then just make sure that your scoob policy covers you to drive other cars.
Old 30 July 2006, 03:17 PM
Harty2000
Scooby Regular

Did he warm it up before he floored it?
About the cat thing, I had my centre cat removed a couple of weeks ago and it was put on the machine afterwards which showed it has better emissions now than when it had the centre cat on
Old 30 July 2006, 03:53 PM
AdamCrank
Scooby Regular

The MR2 is in my name so ill have a word with my insurance company ( SKY Insurance ) tomorrow morning and see what they can do.

He let the car warm up for a good 10 minutes before we even got off his drive way, i wanted to hear the engine run from cold to make sure there was no knocking or funny noises of any kind - and their wasnt.

He also let it tick over for a few minutes afterwards to let it cool down the turbo, it didnt have a turbo timer like my current car has.

Adam
Old 30 July 2006, 04:20 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by AdamCrank
The MR2 is in my name so ill have a word with my insurance company ( SKY Insurance ) tomorrow morning and see what they can do.

He let the car warm up for a good 10 minutes before we even got off his drive way, i wanted to hear the engine run from cold to make sure there was no knocking or funny noises of any kind - and their wasnt.

He also let it tick over for a few minutes afterwards to let it cool down the turbo, it didnt have a turbo timer like my current car has.

Adam
Always a good sign of a careful owner.
Ask him what oil he uses.
Old 30 July 2006, 04:56 PM
AdamCrank
Scooby Regular

Will do mate, thanks for reminding me

Adam
Old 30 July 2006, 05:26 PM
bpm1588
Scooby Regular

done 66,000 miles in a 99 turbo with a dawes boost controler(17.5 psi),full decat and k+n.car went like stink and never missed a beat and its still knocking around with a young guy driving the life out of it!
Old 30 July 2006, 08:10 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by AdamCrank

Trouble i have now is that i still need to insure my MR2 for when i take people out for test drives. What do insurance companies do in that situation, charge you a bit extra for insuring both cars?
www.dayinsure.com

Simon