Sponsored by:

To Pat Herbron.

Search this Thread

Old 29 July 2006, 04:36 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default To Pat Herbron.

I see you have had to resort to insulting me on the Air Fuel Ratio thread.
You invited me to come back and tell you why, what you were posting was bollocks. To answer point by point would take too long as you have wandered round the houses instead of sticking to the topic.

My position is quite simple. AFRs of 12:1 with EGTs 915 to 935 and rising are a cause for serious concern on a turbo charged Subaru engine with OE valves. The life expectancy of such an engine at 950 C. is seriously curtailed.
If the car is mapped in such a way as to need guages to tell you when to lift off, (EGT guage) to preserve the engine then there is something wrong with the mapping and what about customers who do not have the benefit of an EGT guage.
As I already pointed out, it is very difficult to have your head in the cabin looking at guages when on full boost.

Here is one of your posts :

Quote:
Then I guess you will have had more than your fair share of map related engine failures.

Ironic, then, that had you heeded my advice, you could have saved yourself at least one engine failure and one gearbox failure. I alerted you in person to the possibility of mismatched final drives and there were many mutterings on the board regarding the dangers of running Denso Iridium plugs (including the HKS versions)... I'de seen dead boxes and engines so I knew there was an issue and I was only trying to help, shame that you had to experience it for yourself rather than benefit from some other poor soul's misfortune. My advice will, as always, be free, and you, as always, will be free to disregard if you so choose

Cheers,

Pat.
I thought you had replied to my suggestion that you would have had more than your fair share of engine failures. I did think you said you had none but when I come to look at the thread I can find nothing. Did you answer this question ? So how many engine failures have you suffered ?

As regards irridium plugs, like I told you, the first I knew about irridium plug issues came as a result of a mishap I had myself. At the time it was a one off as far as I was concerned until Bob Rawle suffered a similar failure less than 3 weeks later and I then became aware of other failures. At no time prior to that was I aware of irridium plug failures and even now I do not know if it was specific to a batch of HKS plugs or a problem affecting irridium plugs generally.
When I became aware there was a problem I certainly made the information public. If you were already on to the problem, pre-dating my experience and making it public to benefit all then that is to your credit but if it was widely and substantively publicised I would have been aware of it.

Now you want to take credit for telling me about my mismatched diffs and you now have an e-mail from some anonymous person who recalls the conversation which took place 4 years ago. I have no knowledge of such conversation and if it did take place maybe you were just mumbling or rambling on so it did not register. If such a conversation took place and it was significant you would have had a phone call from me or an e-mail thanking you for such information when the cause of the problem was determined.
The facts are that during 2002 I was not happy with the handling of my car. During W/C 29 July 2002 a transmission vibration developed and I put the car on the ramp expecting to find a UJ shot. I was surprised not to find this. Later the same week John Pye inspected the car when the vibration got worse and again we found nothing so the car was booked in for gearbox removal Wednesday 7 August.
I was at Elvington Sunday 4 August so I guess that must have been TOTB but I don't recall any conversation with you.
The gearbox was removed 7 August and when John Pye phoned me to say the centre viscuous diff had been subject to a lot of heat I immediately asked him to check the rear diff ratio as it was now pretty obvious what the problem was. The car was back on the road Friday 9th August.
If you did pre-warn me then thank you but it was certainly not done in a manner whereby it registered.

In your own mind you could have saved me an engine and a gearbox. I am quite happy if you want to believe that. In fact it cost me a centre viscuous diff, a cylinder head and valve and I have no recollection of any useful input from you.

Here is another of your posts :

Harvey,

Quote:
Toal bollocks Pat and a lot of it is untrue or off the point

Perhaps you would care to elaborate on exactly what you think is total bollocks, or what you think is untrue ?

Quote:
As someone who frequented 22b and S/Net, as far as I know the failure I had was the fist I heard of.

The first failure I knew of was, as far as I can tell, on 09 Feb 2002, Danny Fisher had a Denso plug disintegrate in his engine on the way to Prodrive Live. I had heard stories before that but it was the first time I had actually seen it. I have too much on my plate at the moment prepping pretty much half of Team Subaru for this year's TOTB to waste my time trying to prove a point, so I did a very quick search and found this thread. You'll see that I did NOT list an HKS Iridium plug as a recommended plug for Danny's engine, despite Bob having suggested it above (but did agree with him on his other recommendation). Read into that what you want.

This was not the first failure I had heard about, but it was the first that I had actually seen, and I think it significantly predates your own experience.

Quote:
I can check my diary but I think that rectification of my diff issues pre dated TOTB

I think you're probably right, I wasn't **** enough to look up exact dates. I would imagine that it was some time after Feb 2002. As near as I can tell TOTB1 was on 4 August 2002, and I don't think it took that long for you to identify the problem and rectify it, so perhaps at a chance encounter at one of the dyno meets, perhaps at Well Lane ? Trouble with verbal communication is it doesn't leave much of a trace for you to look up four years after the event!

Quote:
One head was removed the engine was not stripped down etc etc.

You're a braver man than I am in that case. There is no way I would simply replace a head on a performance engine that has just suffered a failure of any kind without completely stripping and assessing any collateral damage. What if some of the debris has got caught down the side of the piston ?

Quote:
If you want to carry this on start another topic and I will deal with this fully.

There is no need to start another thread. You can continue to make unfounded statements and I'll keep showing why they are at best misleading, at worst simply untrue.

Cheers,

Pat.
WTF is the link to a question from Danny Fisher supposed to show. It says nothing about plug failures or engine damage.

Now you question the practice of removing a head and replacing it without a full strip down. There is no need for a full strip down if you know what you are doing. If debris goes down the side of the piston then obviously the piston is scored or even the bore. An oil change filter and modine were all that was deemed necessary by Matt Clark who carried out the work and clearly his engine buliding ability and judgement is recognised by some of your associates. Anyway, I was not aware you were an engine builder too.

You make reference to FUD. You really come out with a load of crap.
You also make reference to "rallying the troops". I don't need to do that. I can make my own points and I have every confidence that 12:1 AFRs and rising EGTs in the context of the AFR thread are very imprudent and will only curtail engine life.

I wonder if you can restrict your response to the topic and not go off telling us about oil temperatures, Le Mans cars or other waffle.

Last edited by harvey; 30 July 2006 at 10:54 AM.
Old 29 July 2006, 05:44 PM
pete higham
Scooby Regular

Location: Salford & SMACS,,,,,,,,, and in the smacs muppets and numpty thread
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

bloody hell

happy you got that off your chest
Old 29 July 2006, 06:03 PM
silverstrike
Scooby Regular

Roll on Harvey..now that was a speech
Old 29 July 2006, 06:21 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

PM?
Old 29 July 2006, 08:31 PM
ru'
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by StickyMicky
PM?
PMT?
Old 29 July 2006, 08:46 PM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

Location: Throwing myself down a mountain at every opportunity...

Never mind that Harvey, tell us your thoughts on strut braces
Old 29 July 2006, 08:53 PM
scoobfan
Scooby Regular

All seems a little public this, lets face it, how many people would have known about it.

Rob
Old 29 July 2006, 11:03 PM
rigga
Scooby Regular

lots if they had been following that particular thread.......... interesting reading
Old 01 August 2006, 08:50 PM
scoobysmiff
Scooby Regular

interesting reading indeed,

i dont see why this shouldn't be public, if those that are invloved in the "discussion " have nothing to worry about why not post and put up a valid point.

If you have examples of the topic from personal exerience, then surely you must be able to stand up and be counted as you HAVE seen the results yourself. Why not tell all what you belive if you know from first hand experience what the consequences are
Old 03 August 2006, 11:37 PM
pat
Scooby Regular

Harvey,

My position is quite clear. You are making a categoric statement regarding a subject you have no authority on. You are not an engine builder, designer or mapper, you are an enthusiastic amateur who has had some limited success accompanied by a high failure rate, and you're basing your advice on your own rather limited experience, rather than looking at the empirical evidence, which suggests that the assertion you are making is incorrect.

Everything else that needs to be said on the subject has already been said in the other thread, so I'm not going to waste everyone's time and Scoobynet's bandwidth by perpetuating this pointless discussion ad infinitum.

Best regards,

Pat.
Old 03 August 2006, 11:44 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Sod all this ...... whats the point of CockLinks?? No, really, what is the point???

Pete
Old 04 August 2006, 12:43 AM
GC8
Scooby Regular

It allows the infirm and the il-imformed to differentiate between their ***** and their elbows.
Old 04 August 2006, 12:33 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by pslewis
Sod all this ...... whats the point of CockLinks?? No, really, what is the point???

Pete
Pete,

To give you something to think about!!!!

Ns04
Old 06 August 2006, 10:00 AM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Pat : I am not surprised by your response which totally ignores the points I raised at Post #1. This is typically how you deal with things that are awkward to you. Ignore the post and go off on a tangent.
You invited me to respond. Do you remember ?

Perhaps you would care to elaborate on exactly what you think is total bollocks, or what you think is untrue ?
Now you post this bollocks (after another attack on me).

Everything else that needs to be said on the subject has already been said in the other thread, so I'm not going to waste everyone's time and Scoobynet's bandwidth by perpetuating this pointless discussion ad infinitum.
Why not deal with my first post point by point if you are not talking total bollocks.

When I first posted on the AFR thread, it was to give constructive input to assist Tony. I had no knowledge of your involvement. I stopped posting on that thread to respect Tony's wishes but you quite arrogantly decided to keep going.

My position is quite clear. You are making a categoric statement regarding a subject you have no authority on
I don't know if you think I need your approval to make a comment on the AFR thread when our views are at deviance but I do have lots of valuable real life experience on the matter which means my observations are valid. Like I said AFRs of 12:1 (and weaker according to Tony) with rising EGTs 915-935 C. are worrying.

You are not an engine builder, designer or mapper, you are an enthusiastic amateur who has had some limited success accompanied by a high failure rate, and you're basing your advice on your own rather limited experience, rather than looking at the empirical evidence, which suggests that the assertion you are making is incorrect.
1) I have never claimed to be an engine builder although I have built several successful engines without failures but I rely on Matt Clark's expertise for some of my engine building. Two of your associates clearly recognise his skills although one of them wanted the information surpressed.

2) I have never claimed to be a designer although by a process of evolution I have improved or adapted many components in common use.

3) I am only a junior mapper and only map my own cars so if I were to make a mistake it would be down to me. My own mapping on several ECUs has resulted in quite respectable results and I must thank Bob Rawle in particular for all his patience and sharing his knowledge with me. Also Andy Forrest and Steve Simpson. Other than my own cars I have not mapped anybody elses vehicle other than make a minor adjustment at their request or obtained a start up map in advance of a visit to one of the mappers above.
I have no ambition to be a professional mapper although the idea of giving you a hard time is appealing.

4) Yes I am an enthusiastic amateur and I have a valid contribution to make to assist members of this board and others.

you are an enthusiastic amateur who has had some limited success accompanied by a high failure rate,
Well yes I have had limited success. As far as I know I had the first road going Scooby in the UK with over 400 bhp.
When I joined this board 360 bhp was a top power car and 380 bhp was about tops. You needed a Closed Deck Block beyond mid 300 bhp. What a load of bollocks. At least I did my bit to stand that on its head.
Contrary to the claims from Calder in Japanese Performance, on the same rollers, I had the first road going Scooby over 500 bhp.
During its development with the first engine I attended numerous rolling road shoot outs at Power Engineering, G-Force, Well Lane and Dastek and I cannot remember any Scooby producing more power.
Winner of Scooby Shootout 2003. All this on a 2 litre engine and I note that three years on, with the exception of Roger Clark Motorsport / Gulli / Halldor that 2 litre cars don't go much faster and with the exception of Andy Forrest nor do bigger capacity cars.
Then there is more mundane things like an STi 3 Wagon on standard turbo, injectors and ECU. 335 bhp.
Or my 95 WRX Wagon on one of my own TD05-06 20G turbos and just fitted Sigma ECU. Only partially mapped due to time constraints but 420 bhp just over 6000 rpm with loads more to come.
So yes I have had limited success and I have also made a limited contribution to the Scooby Community sharing my knowledge and experience.

When the cost of FMICs was typically £1200, with assistance from Mark A.(Mark Atkinson) I introduced the Hybrid FMIC to Europe for a fraction of the established price.
When the price of Walbro Fuel Pumps was typically £135 I was instrumental in helping to bring the price down to a more realistic £90 or less today.
Turbos were around £1500 each and I guess I played my small part in making them available well below that.
Establishing a reliable source of NF in the UK.
etc. etc.

Many of my innovations have been copied by others with my assistance so I would like to think I have also made a worthwhile contribution.

an enthusiastic amateur who has had some limited success accompanied by a high failure rate,
A high failure rate ??? You talk total bollocks. This is a complete lie.

Of all the Subaru engines I have been directly involved in the only engine issues have been with the STi 6Wagon on 2 separate occasions. Both are well documented. Once when an HKS Irridium plug broke and took out a valve and the second incident where I lost compression due to a valve issue. Both repairs involved the removal of one cylinder head only. This engine was at the forefront of Subaru development producing close to 600 bhp from 2 litres so that was not a bad record, 33000 miles from the original rebuild and still in good condition when stripped.
How about my WRX engine removed after about 50000 miles and five years during which time power crept up to around 380-400 bhp depending on map etc.

Now tell us about some of your engine failures which you have so far ignored. Incidentally somebody else commented that you claimed not to have had any. Is this true ? Let us get the facts out.

You talk about empirical evidence. That is exactly what I base my knowledge on. You are the theory guy as far as I can see.

Now if people want their cars mapped by a so called guru with a detailed knowledge of apparent and real AFRs, that is OK by me but if one of them is worried by apparent weak AFRs and rising EGTs it is only right to caution him.
It now transpires that you find EGTs of 950 deg.C acceptable and see no problem with relying on an EGT guage to indicate when it is time to lift off to preserve the engine. You still have not explained what happens to the guys without EGT guages.
Now if people want their cars mapped within these parameters, that is their choice but they do deserve to be aware of your approach. You use this board to expound your wisdom in Scooby matters. Like I said:

Quote:
Then I guess you will have had more than your fair share of map related engine failures.
Still unanswered.

Now I am not surprised by the frivolity or nature of some posts and it reminds me very much of the reaction I met from some quarters in exposing the incompetance and worse of Pete Croney who at the time portrayed himself as the font of great knowledge Subaru. Events and history proved different.

Last edited by harvey; 06 August 2006 at 10:11 AM.
Old 06 August 2006, 10:26 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Harvey,

as you are a stickler for facts can I suggest a couple of points.

You car was clearly very innovative for a two litre and achieved many things that many, including myself, did not think were possible.

I would respectfully suggest that I actually drove a 500bhp Suburu some time before you car made an appearance. Indeed the same car that competed at the very first Ten of the Best and was by far the fastest Subaru on the day and had a top fifteen finish from memory. That was a road going car.

I would also suggest that a significant number of bigger capacity cars are also going significantly faster nowadays, not just Andy Forrest. 190mph being the benchmark for a high speed Subaru and many cars now capable of ten second runs and at least one other car, Pavlo's, now performing in the 9s bracket.

You have clearly been a signficant force in the Subaru community, let's also respect the progress made by others.

Have a fabulous day,

Rannoch
Old 06 August 2006, 10:45 AM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Thanks for your good wishes Trout. I don't want to take anything from your achievements and if you reached the 500 bhp goal prior to me that is OK by me. Was it in the public domain at the time as I cannot recall. Anyway, cheers and good luck. Apologies to Paul. Sorry for overlooking his considerable achievements.

As a matter of accuracy I would like to say I have just realised I have had another Subaru engine failure and this time far more serious but I had forgotten about this. In fact it is how I actually got into developing Subarus properly.
I had not owned my STi 6 Wagon for more than three months when #2 piston picked up in the bore. This necessitated the RCMS/Matt Clark rebuild, all done in a week from initial phone call, dropped the engine off, in bits in the back of my trusty Tipo Deizle(modified) and back on the road less than 2 weeks from the initial mishap. Thanks for the facilities at John Pye Motorsport. This was followed by the first of many mapping sessions with Bob Rawle and I met Branko Bozic for the first time.
On the morning of the failure, a cold February morning, I had fitted an APS CAK. The only other mods were a Revolution Exhaust system and downpipe. At the time it was not widely recognised there was a need to rescale the MAF Sensor signal. Even the MD and Production Director of APS denied there was any corelation between fitting their CAK and the fact that I picked up a piston and was back home 11 miles later.
As more was learned by Bob Rawle in particular it was realised that it was unwise to fit an APS CAK without a remap. The rest is history.

Last edited by harvey; 06 August 2006 at 10:50 AM.
Old 06 August 2006, 08:43 PM
ustolemyname??stevieturbo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Rannoch
Harvey,

as you are a stickler for facts can I suggest a couple of points.

I would respectfully suggest that I actually drove a 500bhp Suburu some time before you car made an appearance. Indeed the same car that competed at the very first Ten of the Best and was by far the fastest Subaru on the day and had a top fifteen finish from memory. That was a road going car.

Rannoch
Not wanting to get involved in this little dispute...

But at the first TOTB in 2002, Mark Aigin's 2.5 for the time, heavily modified car was the quickest Subaru on the day, just pipping Michaels rather tame 2.0 Legacy near the end of the day, and only by a tenth or so.
I can assure you, that at that time, his Legacy would barely have had over 300bhp.

perhaps it was a 2nd or 3rd TOTB you refer to?? defo not number one though.
Old 06 August 2006, 10:56 PM
Tim W
Scooby Regular

David is talking about Mark's car I think you'll find Stevie
Old 06 August 2006, 11:58 PM
lunar tick
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by harvey
I have also made a limited contribution to the Scooby Community sharing my knowledge and experience.

When the cost of FMICs was typically £1200, with assistance from Mark A.(Mark Atkinson) I introduced the Hybrid FMIC to Europe for a fraction of the established price.
When the price of Walbro Fuel Pumps was typically £135 I was instrumental in helping to bring the price down to a more realistic £90 or less today.
Turbos were around £1500 each and I guess I played my small part in making them available well below that.
Establishing a reliable source of NF in the UK.
etc. etc.
The man speaks the truth. After spending many weeks researching options for a reliable power upgrade for my MY03 STI, it was Harvey who came up trumps, offering exactly that same parts (or better) that a number of the so called 'top tuners' had recommended at a substantially reduced cost. I'm relatively new to Subaru tuning, but it's obvious that Harvey's in-depth knowledge and experience, together with his willingness to share it so that more of us can enjoy affordable performance upgrades is real asset to the Subaru community.
Andrew
Old 07 August 2006, 12:34 AM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

together with his willingness to share it so that more of us can enjoy affordable performance upgrades is real asset to the Subaru community.
thats just how things change !!! years ago i imported an exhaust header from the states, i made it public and everyone thought i was mad !! as headers were about £1200 and i imported the groupe s ones for around £400 now everyone imports them but this isnt due to me as groupe s started them i merely intruduced them to the people of scoobynet claiming you are responsible for cheaper products due to finding the right supplier isnt inovation its merely good internet skills
Old 07 August 2006, 08:46 AM
lunar tick
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stevebt
thats just how things change !!! years ago i imported an exhaust header from the states, i made it public and everyone thought i was mad !! as headers were about £1200 and i imported the groupe s ones for around £400 now everyone imports them but this isnt due to me as groupe s started them i merely intruduced them to the people of scoobynet claiming you are responsible for cheaper products due to finding the right supplier isnt inovation its merely good internet skills
If you actually read my post, you'll see that nowhere did I mention "innovation"
Old 07 August 2006, 09:54 AM
MartynJ
Scooby Regular

Location: Enginetuner Plymouth for 4wd RR Mapping Apexi Ecutek Alcatek Proper Garage More than just a laptop!
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to ask chaps but nowhere can I find this AFR thread...
Wouldn't mind having a look if someone could post up the link....
Thanks in advance....
P.S. I have searched...lol
Old 07 August 2006, 11:03 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ustolemyname??stevieturbo
Not wanting to get involved in this little dispute...

But at the first TOTB in 2002, Mark Aigin's 2.5 for the time, heavily modified car was the quickest Subaru on the day, just pipping Michaels rather tame 2.0 Legacy near the end of the day, and only by a tenth or so.
I can assure you, that at that time, his Legacy would barely have had over 300bhp.

perhaps it was a 2nd or 3rd TOTB you refer to?? defo not number one though.
Stevie,

calm, calm - I am referring to Mark's car although I didn't realise that it was that close with Michaels excellent Legacy.

The main problem with Mark's car, like my car subsequently, is that they were ten second cars with eleven (or in Mark's case) twelve second drivers

With the same power young Steven Darley knocked over a second off my best time in my own car!!

Marks car had over 500bhp on the bench when it was put together - it is just that there was not a lot of song and dance about the result as it was a development machine.

Even then I am not necessarily sure it was the first as there were a number of projects over that time period.

My own car came a couple of years later and looked pretty good. The only time it went on the rollers was at the day out in Manchester where it got 460bhp at the wheels at 5,500rpm but the rollers could not read any speeds higher than that as they kept slipping!!

Rannoch
Old 07 August 2006, 12:55 PM
rossyboy
Scooby Regular

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts

Sorry to ask chaps but nowhere can I find this AFR thread...
Wouldn't mind having a look if someone could post up the link....
Hopefully this'll do it..

https://www.scoobynet.com/air-fuel-ratio-t530305.html
Old 07 August 2006, 01:20 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Can I ask whether you lot have girlfriends??

Pete
Old 07 August 2006, 01:32 PM
p1mark
Scooby Regular

Location: In a 405 BHP/360 ft/lb P1 with SN superstar Sonic dog at my side!

Pete
ZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Old 07 August 2006, 01:35 PM
taffyboyo
Scooby Regular

Pete

Pete, that would be just too funny

if you had a relationship with a mapper lol

advice time mate, dont come on too strong, book a remap or something first
he could probably adjust your cocklink sensor setting while he's there
Old 07 August 2006, 01:41 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by taffyboyo
Pete, that would be just too funny

if you had a relationship with a mapper lol
Good god, yes, that would be a THRILLING night out!!

Maybe we could have a go on the Rolling Road?? Toss ourselves off over the print-out?? And get all frothy at the very thought of the **** Oil Change Procedure!!

Us lot have Playboy and smutty mags ....... these have Haynes manuals with the pages stuck together!! HA HA HA HA - sorry lads, I'm sure its very important to you who had the first 500BHP Subaru .... but most of us couldn't give a flying ****!!

Lighten up!!

Pete
Old 07 August 2006, 01:48 PM
p1mark
Scooby Regular

Location: In a 405 BHP/360 ft/lb P1 with SN superstar Sonic dog at my side!

Its 2 respected members of the subaru community defending there own proffesionalism and integrity Pete.

You are neither respected nor proffesional, so instead of attempting to add fuel why not just let them sort it out.
Old 07 August 2006, 01:48 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rossyboy
Wasted the whole morning at work. Right, now for lunch...

Quick Reply: To Pat Herbron.