Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

You had an Impreza, now you don't - Why?

Search this Thread

Old 25 October 2000, 08:58 PM
Mr555
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I thought it'd be interesting to see the kind of reasons for getting rid of your Impreza. We all know the good bits about owning one, but what about the bad? What made it so bad that you got shot of yours, and what do you drive now?

I'll kick off:

Reasons -

1. Bonnet scoop nicked, boot lid scratched (maliciously), all in one incident. New bonnet required, insurance claim etc. £900 apparently - I paid £150 excess. Lost a protected no claims life. Happened on the very night I got the car fixed after...
2. Rear door kicked and badly dented. New door skin required, cost £600.

(added later - these things both happened parked overnight out on the street, no driveway alas...)

3. Coke can bodywork/narrow parking spaces at work = dentmaster my best mate. £100 per panel. (tip - save 'em up 'til you have a few dings per panel, it costs same regardless of number of dents).
4. Fed up paying £300 per month in finance, £725 per year insurance.

I now drive -

Golf GTI 1.8 non turbo. Company car, pay about £180 per month rental plus tax, unlimited mileage, all I need do is fuel it. Much cheaper, less fun, but wallet and sanity intact.

Ok, what's your story?

[This message has been edited by Mr555 (edited 25 October 2000).]
Old 25 October 2000, 09:14 PM
Steve Perriam
Scooby Regular

Smile

well only reason i can think of for getting rid of my MY00 is to buy a P1 !!

esp as so many seem to still be available.

sorry to hear about your incidents 555 - were these in your drive or out in car parks etc ?

not yet had any car park / work dings but sure i might sooner or later.

dont mind £740 per year insurance cos its worth it.

must say i'd hate to be paying nearly £200 a month for a golf 1.8 gti !

although not a lot on our company car list these days at all.

cheers

steve
Old 25 October 2000, 11:58 PM
Kevin2000
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Do what I do, parralel park at every opertunity or if that aint possible just take of two parking spaces which will give you at least 2 foot clearance for either side from the cars parked beside you. My car is perfectly dent free and I got the idea from fellow Subaru owners who also practice this method.
Old 26 October 2000, 03:34 AM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

Wink

I still haven't got rid of my old Cavalier since buying my Scoob. All I need to convince me to keep the Scoob is to drive the Cavalier for a couple of miles, and I'm ready to sell my Granny rather than give it up (the Scoob that is!). Having said that, a set of Konis for the Cav, and I reckon I'd be glad to get rid of the Scoob...

Jerome.
Old 26 October 2000, 08:04 AM
Dieter
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

P/ex'd RB5 for Forester Turbo for MAINLY practical reasons (i.e. can't get a German shepard dog in the back without ruining alcantara etc.and would have got 'nicked' for speeding eventually). However the interior of the RB5 did seem to 'mark up' too easily and it was a bit/lot jittery in a side wind!
Now I still look over a Subaru bonnet scoop in a much rarer/(slower) car? but with the characteristic 'growl' (no turbo 'whistle') and which is as just as much fun as the RB5 BUT within the legal limits!

Cheers,

Dieter

Old 26 October 2000, 08:18 AM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Hello

I had a Subaru Impreza WRX STI Type R for about 2 years.

I sold it and bought a Toyota Supra Twin Turbo about 4 months ago.

The reasons for not buying another Subaru:

1/ Got really fed up with the fact that the Subaru is now officially a boy racer car and every single Nova 1.2S wanted to race with me. Of course you can ignore it, and I did, but that's not the point.

2/ All this attention makes the Subaru VERY stealable at the moment.

3/ Fancied something with a little more "style". I liked my Subaru but "pretty" isn't a word you can use to describe it.

The Supra is great, it took some used to driving in the wet (RWD and 320bhp!), and a degree in spatial physics to get any shopping in the boot.

Steve.
Old 26 October 2000, 09:55 AM
MIP
Scooby Regular

I am hopefully today finally going to swap my Scoob for an EVO VI Tommi Makinen edition (should have been Tuesday but not the garages fault it has been delayed).

I have the usual dents in the doors (don't you just love supermarket carparks).

I swapped mine because:-

I wanted more power, better brakes, better suspension (standard MY99).

I could have spent the money on the scoob, but decided that as they were now very commonplace (I see lots everyday) at least 10 of them in the car park here at work as a lot of the folks have them as company cars I wasn't sure I wanted to keep what used to be a special individual car.

I don't like the seats (completely personal choice of course) as they don't support my lower back.

I figured what the hell if you are going to spend a lot, you may as well get a new car.

I test drove an EVO VI GSR and liked it a whole lot, loads more power, loads more torque, better interior (still gross of course) better breaks, better suspension.

HOWEVER, before anybody gets upset

I could have imported an STI for the similar power, suspension, but the brakes still arn't great, and I fancied something different.

I really enjoyed my scoob but can't stand the new proton, ooops sorry the new scoob

MIP
Old 26 October 2000, 12:02 PM
GCollier
Scooby Regular

Sold my MY99 to buy a Ralliart Evo 6. They had my £6000 deposit for 6 months and kept fobbing me off with excuses and delays. Cancelled the order in the end, when they still couldn't give me a delivery date. I've had a Nissan 200SX as an interim car in the last 6 months, but hopefully before the end of the year will be getting something new....another scoob, an evo 6, S2000, 911 or (big maybe) a 355.....decisions, decisions and lots of test drives!

Gary.
Old 26 October 2000, 01:55 PM
DavidRB
Scooby Regular

Question

How come people always say that cars are "too expensive", yet never cut back on houses, clothes, holidays, stereos, CD's, take-aways, etc.???

I've never understood why people are proud of buying a cheaper, inferior car, but never anything else that's cheaper or inferior.
Old 26 October 2000, 03:48 PM
jjones
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MY00 Accord Type R
i had an MY97 turbo from new and it stolen after 2.5 years from my garage

Old 27 October 2000, 12:32 AM
Richard Hardaker
Scooby Regular

I also swapped my MY98 Turbo for a Golf 2.0 GTi. Main reasons for me:

1. Running costs (insurance, petrol, servicing etc.) as a private owner

2. Not being able to leave it anywhere but Fort Knox without worrying about it.

and yes I do miss the perfomance (not the rattles though) but overal I'm happy and it's me that counts.

.Richard
Old 27 October 2000, 06:23 AM
Steve Mason
Scooby Newbie

Had a Terzo from new, sold it about 8 monthes ago due to getting nicked speeding 3 times, wouldn't mind but I wasn't doing anything over the top at the time. Also knew the prices would go into freefall with the new one coming. Still miss it though, have to put up with a Lotus now :-]
Old 27 October 2000, 01:36 PM
stan
Scooby Regular

Sold my MY99 because
1) The mileage was getting too high (50k)
2) Fed up with the attention from boy racers and police.
3) Paranoid about getting it nicked.
4) Wanted something more discreet to avoid issue 2 above.

Currently driving a Focus 1.8 (nice!!) until the Audi S3 is delivered in January.
Old 27 October 2000, 02:28 PM
Showtime
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Sold mine cos I was doing 120 miles a day round trip. £40 of fuel every 2 days wasn't funny.

Now switched to a 323I (yes I'm sorry too) but I at least geta fuel card as well.

sure do miss scooby, especially when I see one go the other way (or past me )

(long sigh at this point of writing...)
Old 27 October 2000, 02:54 PM
NATH
Scooby Newbie

Sold mine cause.....
1. scumbags kept trying to nick it (Insurance ) and
2.got fed up with £5k sierra cossies pulling away (so bought of those too!!!!! )
3.Bad brakes....... now got an Integra R.

Nath..though i miss the engine growl