Sponsored by:

Water leak into boot

Search this Thread

Old 26 June 2006, 10:18 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Water leak into boot

Does anyone suffer water leaks into the boot on their newage? (03 STi in this case)
The car is parked facing downwards slightly at home and water collects in the channel at the leading edge of the boot, where the bottom of the rear screen is. It's finding its way into the boot and is enough to start the dreaded musty smell. Got a feeling it may be the sealing of the rear screen?
Has anyone suffered something similar?
JohnD
Old 26 June 2006, 10:24 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Either that or its getting in through a tailight (quite common)
Old 26 June 2006, 10:28 PM
Drnaz_2000
Scooby Regular

yes exactly same in my MY03 JDM sti mate.....
Old 26 June 2006, 10:30 PM
[Davey]
Scooby Regular

Yep, but on a classic, water was leaking in through the rear lights, the seals had perished.

Best bet is to open the boot lid and pour water into the drainage channels then look for where its getting in.
Old 26 June 2006, 10:36 PM
v8voodoo
Scooby Regular

MY03 WRX, exactly the same, collecting in the two corners at the bottom of the rear screen and then overflowing into the boot.

Dealer suggested raising the seal a little to see if it was that and it was, as it stopped the ingress. Dealer then suggested them packing the seal to keep it raised. Told them to forget it and now park nose pointing uphill... No problems anymore.

Cheers,
Nige.
Old 26 June 2006, 10:40 PM
redragon
Scooby Regular

just a thought have you checked the washers on you spoiler as water leaked in boot from mine took me ages fathom out how it was getting in the boot
Old 26 June 2006, 10:50 PM
v8voodoo
Scooby Regular

John,

Read my posting #5 on this thread I started some time back...

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=440051

Wonder if there is a solution that doesn't involve packing the seal so it sits higher...?

Red, think I'll check my spoiler washers as a precaution too. Cheers..!

Nige.
Old 27 June 2006, 08:38 AM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

I've seen water escape from under the parcel shelf so I reckon it's getting in from under the rear screen somehow. I've tried raising the bootlid seal. I'm taking the rear seats out today and see if I can get under the parcel shelf for a look!
JohnD
Old 27 June 2006, 08:40 AM
clare792000
Scooby Regular

Smile

In my MY03 wagon i get a small puddle in the boot every so often, its not loads, and doesnt collect in a corner just sits in the middle! Hubby kept accusing me of spilling something! Cheeky sod!
Old 27 June 2006, 10:00 PM
Andy 02STI
Scooby Regular

My parents Y plate bug eye leaks too, it comes in from somewhere around the window seal and also one of the spoiler bolts had come off so it leaked through there too.
Old 28 June 2006, 01:49 PM
AVZ
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JohnD
Does anyone suffer water leaks into the boot on their newage? (03 STi in this case)
The car is parked facing downwards slightly at home and water collects in the channel at the leading edge of the boot, where the bottom of the rear screen is. It's finding its way into the boot and is enough to start the dreaded musty smell. Got a feeling it may be the sealing of the rear screen?
Has anyone suffered something similar?
JohnD
Yup same here... leak due to water gathering at leading edge of the boot and then pours in when opened.... nice. Thought about putting some fish in it.... nice mod.
Old 28 June 2006, 02:12 PM
easyrider
Scooby Regular

Take the boot seal off and run a fresh bead of silicon along the inside of it(the bit that slots over the metal lip)-mine was leaking through that by capiliary action(water naturally creeping up a small gap),could be seen dripping in from under the parcel shelf and down the side.Also found water ingress through where the spoiler brake light wires came through the boot lid-just sealed it with clear silicon-havnt had any leaks since.

Gary.
Old 28 June 2006, 03:05 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

In for a penny, in for a pound! I've taken the rear seats out, and the parcel shelf! It seems the rear screen is sealed by a foam strip. I reckon this strip gets gets overloaded with water due to the pool that builds up in the channel, then lets the water out and eventually into the boot. I'm going to seal the foam with silicon at this point and see how it goes. I'll also re-seal the boot lid rubber while I'm at it. As long as the musty pong goes eventually, I'll be happy!
JohnD
Old 07 July 2006, 10:22 AM
v8voodoo
Scooby Regular

John,

Any joy with your silicon..?
Or has it not rained yet to test it out..?

Cheers,
Nige.
Old 07 July 2006, 11:38 AM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by v8voodoo
John,

Any joy with your silicon..?
Or has it not rained yet to test it out..?

Cheers,
Nige.
All done, seats and shelf back in, spare cover and boot mat back in place. Hey presto! - a thunderstorm! Next morning I opened the boot to check and guess what? Yup, a wet boot mat! B****cks, b****cks and more b****cks!
Parking the other way round in the drive would cure the problem (slope) but it's a pain reversing in as I would need to swing across the road then reverse and in my road that can be a bit hairy at times.
JohnD
Old 07 July 2006, 09:00 PM
v8voodoo
Scooby Regular

Yep,

That's my cure too, park facing uphill..lol!!

Well tried anyway. Maybe one day we'll have a decent solution..!!

Nige.
Old 07 July 2006, 09:59 PM
Woody1
Scooby Regular

had two leaks in mine. First at the top corners of the rear window. Cured this with silicone.

Then now and again had water getting under the boot lid seal at the bottom. Cured this by gluing it with silicon and slightly adjusting the boot lock for a tighter fit when shutting.

No probs since.
Old 27 July 2006, 11:39 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Would you believe the musty pong remained so I pulled out the rear seat squab and delved under the rear drivers side footwell carpet - and it's swimming! Looks like it's been there some time! I've dried it all out (the underfelt is taking ages to dry) and slapped liquid rubber sealant on every seam and join I could see, I've also done the same under the car. Because the underneath of the carpet has a rubber/plastic coating, there was no obvious dampness on top to give the game away!
I'll revise my original question - Has anyone had soggy carpets and did you discover the source of the leak?
JohnD
Old 20 December 2007, 05:18 PM
Froggman
Scooby Newbie

Default Water Leak into Boot

Hi All,

I've been scrawling through a few old threads and anything else that I can find related to water getting into my damm car and found this one very interesting as recently mine developed a leak and has water working it's way into the drivers foot well !!!

........At one point I could actually hear water sloshing up and down the lengh of the car which at the time sounded like along the O/S side skirts!........but I've just noticed in the last couple of days that my drivers foot well carpet is wet!

It just so happens that I also park on a hill, nose down and it also has a camber but my Impreza is a 98 Turbo Wagon and not the Saloon like most mentioned here!

Did anyone ever find a cure to this problem and also know if it would be similar on a Wagon?

Any help would be appreciated before that dreaded musty smell sets in!