Sponsored by:

paint problems...

Search this Thread

Old 26 June 2006, 09:30 PM
island991
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default paint problems...

....am i just unlucky or am i doing something wrong?

I bought a second hand MY00 DBM in february and one of the only problems that i couldnt wangle into the proce was the fact that their was a 10p size area on the corner of the bonnet scoop where the lacquer was peeling off. Over the last few months it started to spread and more and more lacquer peeled off the scoop, even though i was careful around the area when washing.
No problems though, sent it off to be resprayed a few days ago. The weird thing is i bought a MY99 salvaged scoop (different colour) to fill its place while the origional was away being sprayed, and it has been on the car about 1.5 weeks and 2 washes and it has started doing the same, even though it looked fairly mint when i fitted it with only the odd stone marks etc and no visible damage to the lacquer. it has this evening developed a mars bar sized area where the lacquer has peeled off.

wtf is going on? is it just chance or what?? im not gonna want to put the resprayed origional back on if its gonna happen again!! I know the paint on subaru's is lamentable, but it surely shouldnt flake lacquer off as you touch it!!

Last edited by island991; 26 June 2006 at 10:45 PM.
Old 26 June 2006, 11:01 PM
island991
Scooby Regular

any ideas anyone? anyone seen this before?
Old 26 June 2006, 11:44 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

Laquer normally peals when its been resprayed and the underlying base paint hasn't been rubbed down, contaminated, or the paint has been polished too heavily with an abrasive polishing compound leaving the laquer too thin.

Also if the bolts have been over tightened, or unevenly tightened, or some sort of distortion causing the part to flex too much when it is fixed on (especially if there isn't enough plasticiser used in the paint when it was sprayed).

I've managed to cure laquer pealing by using thinned down lauqer or spray some aresol laquer into a small pot. Then using a fine model paint brush to dab the edges of the pealing area. The gap between old laquer and base paint creates a capillary action and sucks the thinned laquer into it, pulling it back down and getting rid of the "milky" shading.

I've only ever done it chips and a small 10p sized paint fault though.

Last edited by Shark Man; 26 June 2006 at 11:48 PM.
Old 26 June 2006, 11:53 PM
island991
Scooby Regular

hmmm....i guess if it happens quickly on the resprayed one i will have some comeback wth the people spraying it. Weird it has happened to me twice though.
Old 27 June 2006, 12:58 AM
*AL*
Scooby Regular

It's caused by a poor respray.
Old 27 June 2006, 07:25 PM
island991
Scooby Regular

well scoobyclinic are doing the current respray so hopefully theres will be a good job!!