Sponsored by:

smokey sti

Search this Thread

Old 23 June 2006, 10:07 PM
kenc
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SMOKEY STI ???????????

hi guys, need a little help, hav 00 sti 4dr, full sraight through, andy f remap, when i give it a thrashing at night time, the nxt morning when i start it up it will puff out a cloud of oil smoke, this is only when it starts first, its then clear after a while on tick over and rev, it only happens after thrashing, it seems to me that when its left for hours after the abuse oil is working its way through intercooler and being burnt nxt start, would this be bad turbo?, is it common???? standard vf28 turbo 95000 klms, ne one any ideas??? its never smoking until start up day or hours after thrashing

Last edited by kenc; 23 June 2006 at 10:12 PM.
Old 23 June 2006, 10:31 PM
scoobyphil2000
Scooby Regular

turbo is on its way out
Old 24 June 2006, 12:19 PM
kenc
Scooby Regular

Default SMOKEY 00 STI

WOULD A TURBO NOT BE SMOKEY ON TICK OVER THE WHOLE TIME IF ON WAY OUT???? HAVE ANY ONE HAD THE PROBLEM???
Old 24 June 2006, 12:58 PM
hedgehog
Scooby Regular

I am sure that someone who knows about such things will post but to put your mind a little at rest I wonder if it is the valve stem oil seals? Do Subarus suffer from this? Ford Pintos used to be exactly the same, smoke when you start them up then fine and it was only a trivial thing that wasn't worth the effort to fix.
Old 24 June 2006, 02:06 PM
powerman1
Scooby Regular

firstly is it using oil?
Are you letting it cool down sufficiently after the thrashing( low revs for a few miles)
I would suspect leaking oil seals on the valves and would be more noticable when going down an hill with no throttle and when throttle is pressed a puff of smoke willl be seen.
if piston oil seal going it will smoke all the time
Turbo well i am not so sure what the symptom would be but if its only occasional leave it until it becomes a real problem.
Most of my scoobys have blown a little bit of smoke out in the morning and have used a bit of oil from new and my 03 wrx drank it like a fish and did improve when it passed 16k upwards.
not very technical answers but its what i have experienced in 29 years of car ownership