Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where can I get best deal on a new STi Spec D

I am about to order a new sti spec d, but where will I get the best deal from

List price 28500

Main dealer best price 26500

Litchfield 25000

Motorpoint 23000 But would need to add 1000 for rfl,alarm/immob/tracker

www.broker4cars.co.uk 23545

Anybody got any other ideas, and I am also looking for a pcp deal.

Hope you guys and gals can help
Old 14 June 2006, 10:31 AM
HOWY
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gary Wilson
I am about to order a new sti spec d, but where will I get the best deal from

List price 28500

Main dealer best price 26500

Litchfield 25000

Motorpoint 23000 But would need to add 1000 for rfl,alarm/immob/tracker

www.broker4cars.co.uk 23545

Anybody got any other ideas, and I am also looking for a pcp deal.

Hope you guys and gals can help
Have you tried alliance?
Old 14 June 2006, 11:46 AM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You don't need a tracker with some insurers, even those that might give you the best quote, and a Cat 1 alarm can be done for about £200.
Old 14 June 2006, 12:53 PM
Beastie
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Fiskens of Forfar have one in stock in the showroom. Ask them for best price.
Old 14 June 2006, 01:11 PM
t7onk
Scooby Newbie

The D spec comes with a tracker fitted.
Old 14 June 2006, 01:46 PM
Gary Wilson
Scooby Newbie

Not from motorpoint it does't !
Old 14 June 2006, 06:51 PM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Spec D? I can't keep up with all the new models

F
Old 14 June 2006, 07:11 PM
scoobycar60
Scooby Regular

Spec D is an STI with leather sat nav upgraded ICE with Ipod link,
smartnav, tracker, silver STI wheels and a WRX wing. D is for discrete
I thought long and hard about one before picking a normal STI
The leather didnt float my boat to be honest interior seemed very dark,
Cant see the discrete bit really as it still looks exactly the same in your rear view mirror as an STI or a WRX.
I will upgrade the stereo to suit my taste and I prefer a tomtom for Sat Nav.
Also felt the price hike was a bit of a con as they have replaced an expensive wing with a bog standard
WRX one in fact the car looks more like a WRX SL without the heared seats...
A WRX SL with PPP would be as just as quick and a fair bit cheaper.
but now I am wandering into another subject....
Everyone to their own..... all great cars though!

Last edited by scoobycar60; 14 June 2006 at 07:21 PM.
Old 14 June 2006, 09:33 PM
Leeroy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobycar60
I thought long and hard about one before picking a normal STI
The leather didnt float my boat to be honest interior seemed very dark,
Cant see the discrete bit really as it still looks exactly the same in your rear view mirror as an STI or a WRX.
I will upgrade the stereo to suit my taste and I prefer a tomtom for Sat Nav.
Also felt the price hike was a bit of a con as they have replaced an expensive wing with a bog standard
I looked into this model too but like you wasn't overly impressed. The SpecD is a bit less of '2-finger salute' to other motorists though!
Old 14 June 2006, 10:35 PM
Gary Wilson
Scooby Newbie

Hi you guys. I am interested in the Spec D because it is discreet !
If you want the attention of all and sundry with what can only be described as an obscenity of a rear spoiler and Gold wheels then fine. I prefer to drive a fast sports saloon for my own benfit and not for someone else's.
The leather seats in my opinion are a massive improvement on the standard STi seats and bring the cabin a touch more upmarket, but then I think you are missing the poibnt of the Spec D if you prefer the blue seats and cabin together with the rear spoiler and gold wheels.

Just my opinion like, and whilst on this topic, I was asking for recommendations on where to buy, not a crtique on the car.
Old 15 June 2006, 12:36 AM
scoobycar60
Scooby Regular

Wink

Hi Gary
We all have opinions about cars which we chose to air. If all you are interested in is prices with no banter I suggest you refrain from posting on an enthusiasts bb and do a search based on prices using the popular search engines. I am sorry but a lot of people feel that the Spec D is not at all "discreet" and represents a half hearted cynical attempt to be all things to all people. If we are honest the sti (including the Spec D) is a hard riding hardcore tinny rally-rep and not a BMW 330 or a Lexus; so why pretend? The Spec D WRX wing is hardly subtle anyway.....nor is the gapping scoop on the front. The gold wheel debate will run and run and I agree not to everyones taste (myself included) but paint is cheap.
My apologies if you feel I have hijacked your thread and I hope you find a good deal. The best price I got offered one for before my change of heart was £26050 for a pre-reg 03-06 with 10 miles on the clock.

Last edited by scoobycar60; 15 June 2006 at 12:39 AM.
Old 15 June 2006, 12:37 AM
craigdmcd
Scooby Regular

Gary, in a similar vain to what someone posted further up, as an option, why not price this up - a WRX SL with a PPP kit, the wheels of your choice, the choice of bigger spoiler or not, etc, etc. My wife and I chose this route a few years ago and ended up with:
(new) 2004 WRX SL with PPP and 3 years free servicing - £22000
STi rear wing and PFF7 rims and spring kit(in anthracite) - £2200
cash back from dealer for 17" rims and spoiler - (-£700)
STi front brakes (2nd hand on SIDC) - £500
Total - £24000

I have added other touches to the car, which like a few points on the list, are purely for my own liking (the rims, wheels and wing). I now have (occasional) use of a car that I really enjoy, whilst my wife has a car she adores with the benefits of a nicer interior that has heated electric seats (not heated on the Spec D as far as I can tell from the Subaru website) and an electric sunroof, which again is not available on the Spec D.
I am assuming that as you state, the raw part of owning a STi is not what you are hunting for, but a discreet car that can get you around in a hurry, then as capable as the Spec D is, surely you cannot overlook the new WRX SL type UK http://http://www.subaru.co.uk/IMGGB...7?Opendocument
Old 15 June 2006, 07:48 AM
Gary Wilson
Scooby Newbie

Hi Craig

Thanks for your informative reply about the wrx sl with ppp.
Have you any performance figures on the wrx with ppp compared to the sti ?

The heated leather seats question does concern me. Is the wrx sl fitted with heated seats?
Also the spec d comes with an electric sunroof so thats ok.

The brakes on the sti are (in my opinion much better than wrx) and so i think
your route of upgrading those was wise.

Again thanks for your ideas, by the way I can't open your link, have you tried it.

Regards
Old 15 June 2006, 09:33 AM
craigdmcd
Scooby Regular

Hi Gary,
The WRX SL does come with heated electric seats (and in Scotland they get a lot of use). All the information you need is available at www.subaru.co.uk and you can find the PPP figures under the WRSport section in the accessories section.
From experience, I know that my car will run with a standard 2003 STi in a straight line, and with the mods to suspension and brakes, I was a match for him around the fun stuff. However, having been out in other STi's since, I can confirm that the car is not quite as "raw", but it is still very involving and has impressed many people who have been taken out for a run. Also the PPP kit modifies the exhaust to give an note that unobtrusive in everyday use, but gives a lovely rumble under spirited use. The discount from the dealer payed for the PPP kit, but the Prodrive brake kit could be an alternative to haggle over at the dealers.
I hope you find this info helpful, and please feel free to ask any more questions.
Craig
Old 15 June 2006, 01:36 PM
svennard
Scooby Regular

Hi

I have a spec D which I got end of April through a PCP scheme for £23,400!!

Obviously, if you go PCP you have to pay some APR on that, but over 3.5 years, (with only 500quid deposit) you still pay about 1 grand less than buying from a dealer. That said, maintenence, insurance, and tax not included.

I have the PPP fitted on mine and had it dyno'd last week at Power Station.

Comes out at 308bhp, and 423nm torque. with BP Ultimate

The Spec D is limited to 300 units in the UK and does not have a sun roof and the leather seats are (strangely) not heated.

IMO an excellent car and quite understated.

If you saw the look of the driver of the brand new Audi RS6 this morning, you'd know what I mean.

On face value looks just like a standard WRX but the difference between 225bhp and 308bhp was frightening clear in the face of the Audi driver when he cut me up and then tried to lose me - in vain, I must say! Don't think he'll do that again in a hurry.

If you want details of the PCP scheme, or any info on the Spec D, PM me.

Cheers

Svennard
Old 15 June 2006, 01:42 PM
svennard
Scooby Regular

Forgot to mention;

You do get a tracker, Sat Nav,and safe speed

The tracker and Sat Nav is free for a year - the safe speed for 1month.

I've signed up for the safe speed, which is excellent and good value at 8quid a month.

However, the problem comes in 12months time - when then free subscription runs out;

To keep the tracker working, have the full sat nav and safespeed will cost about 40quid a month!!

Quite a lot of money I think

Svennard
Old 15 June 2006, 07:35 PM
EdwardH
Scooby Regular

Talking

Don't bother with the STI D.

Get a dealer pre reg 05 model year wrx and add ppp.

Should be well south of 19k, with burble intact ( 2 litre still) and faster than STI due to gearing.... 4.8 seconds I think.

10k less than list STI D
Old 15 June 2006, 07:37 PM
scoobycar60
Scooby Regular

Hi Svennard

You did well with that deal!
How do you feel about the PPP now, I know you you were not quite sure if it was up to your expectations.

I am deciding whether it is worth it at the moment. None of the garages seem to have a demostrator with PPP to help make an educated choice.

Probably will as it must be the way to go for a bit more go with warranty.
Old 15 June 2006, 09:13 PM
MTR
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobycar60
Hi Svennard

You did well with that deal!
How do you feel about the PPP now, I know you you were not quite sure if it was up to your expectations.

I am deciding whether it is worth it at the moment. None of the garages seem to have a demostrator with PPP to help make an educated choice.

Probably will as it must be the way to go for a bit more go with warranty.
Scoobycar 60, this is taken from this thread, slightly edited.
http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=519147

I own a MY06 STI Type UK in standard trim, and when I drove the MY06 STI Type UK PPP was not overly impressed. It was at Robinsons of Rochdale, 01706 716655

That's probably due to the standard cars extremely usable power delivery and torque curve, and not a criticism of the PPP kit.

It droned on the motorway, and after 9 years of Impreza dugga dugga exhaust noise making me slightly deaf is something I can happily live without.
When driving at 70mph, when you dipped the clutch and let the car coast momentarily you realise how much noisier it is over the standard car.
Its not the volume its the frequency that they produce.
Its extremely tiresome.
400 miles to Cornwall with that low frequency drone is something you tolerate, you don't enjoy it.

From 3000rpm to 4500 rpm it pulled very well, and easily revved into the 6000rpm range better than std, but was not the improvement I was expecting.

As the dealer said when you have a good 280ps engine then another 30-35bhp as a percentage doesn't make for a massive improvement.

On my MY02 STI the PPP kit transformed a abysmal car into a car I owned for almost 4 years, and enjoyed immensley, although the noise became tiresome.
Might be an old age problem on my part, but when I can compare the performance on my new quiet STi compared to my old noisier STi, the new one wins hands down.

I will be saving my money this time

Cheers
MTR
Old 16 June 2006, 12:07 AM
svennard
Scooby Regular

Gary

Just following up on your earlier comment about various prices etc

There is something a bit fishy about the Motorpoint ad re them having 2 Spec D's in stock.

Firstly;

The Spec D UK come with tracker, Sat Nav, all in one, and its factory fitted, not dealer fit.

It's in the Subaru UK brochure spec and therefore should have it. It's as integral to the spec d as the leather seats.

Secondly;

The Spec D UK most definately only comes in one colour - Crystal Grey - no exceptions.

However, there are European versions of the Spec D - called something else like 'type b' or something like that, which DO come in two colours

I suspect they are selling two of those, not the UK model, which may have a bearing on things like insurance and warranty.... and may not have the Sat Nav factory fitted.

I'm pretty sure that Litchfield Imports can source these Euro Spec d's so may be able to confirm spec's etc.

Going off thread for a moment to reply to MTR;

Yes its a really good deal - Check it out - www.personalcarfinance.co.uk - online calculator - best discount was on the spec d - checked today - offer still stands!!

PM me if anyone wants further contact details - I'm on commission - look at that for honesty!!

As far as my Spec D, with the PPP fitted, yes, I was a little disapointed with the PPP initially, but as I've got used to the car (not having had an Impreza before) I'm really starting to get alot out of it.

In fact, it really is starting to fly, with the engine loosening nicely, having just clocked up 3k from new. The extra top end grunt is really noticeabe when you wind it up - 4th gear, then plant your foot...much improved over the standard model

I'm revising my intial thoughts - I'm just starting to smile now, a couple of months in!! - unlike the bloke who just spent 50k on his brand new RS4, who tried to embarrass me today in front of his kid, and ended up with egg on his face instead.

The RS4 does 0-62 in 4.8 seconds and I stayed firmly with him, from 20 up through 70mph, in fact, I was backing off - the PPP must be doing some good, I would say.

I'm certainly not in the habit of this, but, on a clear road, national speed limit, it was good to put the car up against something else known to be powerful and find it to be easily up to the job with a bit left too. Having proved my point, I gave him a little shake of my head and let him go on his way - probably back to the Audi garage to complain about there being 'something wrong' with his car!!

I haven't found the noise of the car with PPP a problem, much the opposite - mine is quite grunty at low speed but really quite smooth and quiet on the motorway. Apparently the Spec D has additional sound deadening but how much difference that makes, I'm not sure.

I've been using BP Ultimate in the main and I find that the turbo spools really quickly with a nice subtle whistle, whereas I found noticeably less responsiveness with Optimax, contary to quite a few on this site.

The results of the dyno left me with mixed feelings really - whilst I hoped to get figures in excess of the Prodrive published figures, the general concensus at Power Station (and at Prodrive I should add) is that mine is coming out about average, and that different dynos produce different readings - 308bhp on one, 315, 320 on the next, so...

My torque figure came out at 423.5 Nm - at little down on the quoted again, but not that far away either.

I will probably end up having the Power Station upgrade at some point soon - although I'll only gain about 35bhp, the torque gain on the STi MY06 is massive - up to the region of 495 Nm!! - now that is a big difference.

Back to thread;

err.. Yes - No Black UK Spec D's !! - Just Say - Crystal Grey!!

Svennard

Last edited by svennard; 16 June 2006 at 12:23 AM.