Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

any differance between MY97 and a MY98 (uk car)

Search this Thread

Old 23 October 2000, 07:45 PM
salsa-king
Scooby Senior

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts
Question

as some of you may know i'm lookin at changing my Scooby MY97 facelift model to the ner bumper/interior MY98-

Where i got my car from are getting a MY98 on a S plate 16k miles on the clock, this weekend!
Yes its the white interior dial/Momo wheel car with the change of bumpers that i want but
its in RED, my car is already RED!!!!!!!!!

not saying that i don't want another red car, but will anyone know that i changed cars?!!! maybe not!
what are the main differances that i would notice from my MY97 to the newer MY98 model?

is it worth me changing? even to another RED or should i wait for another colour?

I've been offered just over £9k for my car!!! may be able to push 4 a bit more! the S plate one will be £16K!!
should i spend the £7k differance on a car that will look the same?
or are the differances worth having a MY98 over aMY97?

see my last post at the bottom of the page,

[This message has been edited by salsa-king (edited 24 October 2000).]
Old 23 October 2000, 07:56 PM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

The only thing I can think, is surely the interior + exterior changes you are talking about could end up costing you £4k, another £3k and you'd have a younger car.. works for me, I looked at prodrive'ing my UK turbo, ended up with a P1 because there was only £3k in it, plus the insurance was a lot cheaper cos I didnt have a 'modded' car...

rgds, Alex
Old 23 October 2000, 08:08 PM
DJB
Scooby Regular

Talking

As far as I'm aware, the main changes are cosmetic. I think they made minor mods to the engine only which did not affect performance. I don't think that the suspension was altered. I have a MY98.

The main cosmetic changes are:

1. 16" alloys (IMHO the best shape yet).
2. Momo steering wheel (fab).
3. Fascia from Forrester (slight improvement on older model).
4. White dials (green at night) and LCD odo.

In answer to your question, I doubt whether these differences are worth £7000. It would cheaper to buy new alloys and a new steering wheel.

D.

[This message has been edited by DJB (edited 23 October 2000).]
Old 23 October 2000, 09:20 PM
Josh L
Scooby Regular

I had a MY98 (R), and as far as I can rember there were no real exterior changes made between 97 and 98 other than the wheels.

The next major changes were for the 99, with the revised front bumper, rear wing, cup holder, different steering wheel? and slight increase in power (215 bhp I think).

IMHO there isn't enough difference to bother changing to anything before a 99. As with Alex, I ended up changing mine to a P1.

Josh
Old 23 October 2000, 10:24 PM
salsa-king
Scooby Senior

I thought of puting 4pot brakes on the MY97, i got some 16" subaru wheels from another SIDC member back in june,and even thought of changing the rear wing and having the knocks on the doors sorted out + re-spray, but by the time i spend that money, the car wont be worth any more plus my car is on 61500miles now (Feb97) so milage is high, newer car will be a better all rpund buy with less to spend on it to keep it in A1 condiction, (thinking mainly on what it might need spending on it at services! as mine at the moment will need nu brakes this next service)
think i would feel happier if the car on the S plate were a differant colour! but is the MY98 red a brighter red than the MY97?

Would like the better interior, performance is not really the question as the cars only as good as i drive it, and like it said in EVO the impreza makes a bad driver look good and a good driver look brilliant! LOL

Old 23 October 2000, 11:43 PM
MTR
Scooby Regular

Phil,
Make sure you listen to the engine on the 98MY car when it is cold at start up, to make sure it isn't exhibiting the piston slap problems that appear to occur on that model year engine. My old MY98 started sounding a bit noisy on initial start up, prior to my swapping to the MY99, but was not the reason I swapped cars, as I didn't know about the piston problem at that time.

Cheers MTR
Old 24 October 2000, 09:31 AM
Maxwell Straker
Scooby Regular

Salsa

You should check out the Private ads, Blubs car is for sale on there, 14 and a bit on a T plate, few more miles but a top car non the less.

16K for an S plater seems steep to me in these days of poor second hand sale prices and the fact that the import market has resulted in brand spanking new ones for cheaper than that (i.e. Geezers motor)

Maxwell - Blubs and Geezers marketing agent
Old 24 October 2000, 10:24 AM
Otis
Scooby Regular

Salsa,

MTR beat me to it and he's sooooo right. I've had 3 MY98's and all of them had piston slap. Start it from stone cold and have a listen from inside with the windows up. It will come in as you pull away, especially as it picks up in second circa 2000-2500rpm.

To be honest you could pick up an MY99 for £16k and avoid any potential problems.

Hope this helps,

Otis.
Old 24 October 2000, 02:21 PM
Stef
Scooby Regular

Salsa.
£16k for a 98 seem spricey, especially if yours is only worth £9k.
I have seen several 98's up for sale from a s little as £12-13k, so perhaps you should look around a bit more.
I would personally only upgrade from a 97 to a 99.

Stef.
Old 24 October 2000, 02:41 PM
munna
Scooby Regular

Cool

salsa King..you can Have mine which is on an R plate...£15k
Spec as follows:-
MY98..full black leather sports interior..car is all black inside..£600 pound's worth of Pioneer OEL stereo and autochanger(The one with all the pictures on)Prodrive chip..BackBox..Mica Green In Colour..Prodrive badged in reflective Gold..Prodrive 17" Gold alloys dressed in the finest Falken Tyres..One Big adjustable four piece Spoiler..with LED on the Adjustable aerofoil.(Still got the other 2 types of spoiler also) P1 Clutch..total service history...mileage is at 36k
Old 24 October 2000, 05:50 PM
salsa-king
Scooby Senior

well guys, thanks for making me think!

i've had a sleep on it and have decided that i would want my head testing to change my car 4 a MY98 (mainly the money factor)as its no differant in Spec with no other performance gain but 7bhp! and better brakes! and I'm only wanting to change 4 the cosmetic differance!!!!

well, i will keep the money in the bank for now and wait till next year or so when people change there MY99/00 for the new scooby poo's i did want a bit more than 9k for mine and i knew 16k for a MY98 s plate was also steep.

i'm thinking of putting a S/S centre section onto the Magnex back box i already have (£100'ish) will make my car louder a bit faster/bhp! and put a smile on my face at the same time, for a only a 'ton'(£100). i think i must have had a bad day to think of wasting money on a car!!!!!!!! LOL the dealer would be laughin' though! don't you think???