Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Saxo VTR Drivers...

Search this Thread

Old 11 January 2001, 04:16 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was a saxo VTS owner, then I got all sensible and got myself a mondeo ST24, then went mad again and got the blackbeast®

Must say that when i had my VTS about 3 - 4 years ago there were a few about and the MPB were just getting them. I've seen some nice ones, and some nasty ones.

Anyway, just wanted to say that mine was not a max power special and was given as much TLC as the blackbeast gets.

Should also point out that the blackbeast© currently has

* Pimp Tints
* Lowered suspension
* Mini Blue interior lights
* Loudish Stereo
* Apexi N1 Exhaust (big!)
* Additional Bonnet scoops

so, I guess I should resign myself to being one of da Max power krew!

as for baseball caps, hmm, my heads a bit small so they don't fit proper.

[Edited by Markus - 11/1/2001 4:22:24 PM]
Old 31 October 2001, 05:10 PM
Jerry*
Scooby Regular

Angry

Is it official that the infamous Max Power Nova SRI/GTE/GSI gang are moving onto the Saxo VTR ?!! Is it the natural progression from one crashy, poorly built, noisy tin box to another crashy, poorly built (though slightly better looking) tin box ?!!

Then, of course, off to Halfords for the mandatory tints, 2000 mega-watt stereo, Kenwood stickers, big alloys, silly headlamps and bean-can exhaust system... or just take the old bits off the Nova ?!

Oh, and to finish it off.. down to the Foot Locker for the compulsory baseball cap !

I'm sure this has been brought up before (so the flame-suit is fully zipped up !!) but don't they get on your nerves !?!

They're everywhere !!

Last night one dived through a red light at a cross roads near where I live, to turn right (on 2 wheels) towards me, cutting the corner and nearly clattering my front off-side, causing me to dive on the brakes and nearly get shunted up the **** end by the car behind !

The vast majority can't drive and why do they need the windows down and music that shakes the fillings out of your teeth !?!

This bloke was no exception !

Is there an official ruling that says that they have to be like this ?!!

Is it just Leeds that they infest ?

Sorry to any normal Saxo VTR owners out there, but around here you seem to be in the minority !!

...phew, glad I got that off me chest !!

John
Old 31 October 2001, 05:13 PM
scrappydoo
Scooby Regular

This baseball cap stereotype gets on my dam nerves.GROWUP!!!!
Old 31 October 2001, 05:18 PM
POC
Scooby Regular

i wear a baseball cap......hummmm

OH NO!!!!! I am a 'BOY RACER'

****, when did that happen....

(sorry if this was a little sarcastic, it is almost 5:30!)

Paul
Old 31 October 2001, 05:18 PM
father_jack
Scooby Regular

Why - it's true - baseball cap=t0sser or possibly a merkin
Old 31 October 2001, 05:20 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Then, of course, off to Halfords for the mandatory tints, 2000 mega-watt stereo, Kenwood stickers, big alloys, silly headlamps and bean-can exhaust system... or just take the old bits off the Nova ?!
Tints - I have a light smoke tint on my car
Stereo - I use to run 1.2kw! Now a mild 600w system
Stickers - I use to have Prodrive stickers, but now only SIDC ones
Alloys - I have 17" alloys, but I've been looking at 18" ones
Headlights - I have a Morette headlight conversion
Exhaust - I have a HKS Hiper with a titanium tailpipe

And no none of these bits are off a Nova!!

Now where did I put my "back-to-front" baseball cap!

I could have saved myself a lot of cash by doing that to a Saxo instead of an Impreza!!

I don't have a problem with people modifying their cars, what ever the car may be, but dangerous driving is just not exceptable! But you'll see this from all sorts of drivers and not just 'boy racers'

Like today coming home I was cut up by a Merc [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] with diplomatic plates! And then watched him go through a speed camera at over 90mph (road is a 50mph limit)

What can you do??
Andy
Old 31 October 2001, 05:35 PM
Jerry*
Scooby Regular

Smile

Oooops !!!

Seem to have offended a few peeps here !!

The point I was trying to make was that why do the generally young lads who mod their Saxos always seem to feel they have to drive like loonies !?!!

Do they have to screech away from every set of lights ?!
Do they ever get beyond 3rd gear ?
If they always have to drive on two wheels could'nt they have got a bike instead ?

(Ouch, these flames are burning !!)

John
Old 31 October 2001, 05:37 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Wink

John,

No offense caused with me! In fact by suggesting I'm a boy racer would imply I'm younger than my real years!!! So not such a bad thing!

I was laughing to myself when I read you list of modifications and it occurred to me you could have been describing my car!!!

Cheers
Andy
Old 31 October 2001, 05:39 PM
scrappydoo
Scooby Regular

Look father_jack lets not get into a stereotypical argument.Ok, so im a t0$$er then, just bacuse i sometimes wear a baseball cap, when its sunny or sometimes when its raining to keep my hair dry. That instantley makes me a nova boy racer does it. Of course not you small minded fool. For your info, i drive a MY01 WRX, safely. Nuff said.

Old 31 October 2001, 05:44 PM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Talking

Jerry - mate, they are nutters, M-Hutton and I got passed by one of these nuts, we had a big merc infront of us, and were approach the brow of a hill, this is when the VTR boy thought it would be safe to over take 3 cars... Ah well...
Old 31 October 2001, 06:32 PM
topper
Scooby Regular

Cool

i always wear a baseball cap
not cos i'm a boy racer
but cos i cant find a decent barber
and i have a dirty job,so it keeps
my bounce clean aswel !!!!!!!!
Old 31 October 2001, 06:52 PM
BeanS14
Scooby Newbie

Red face

Excellent!!!

Another forum that recognises the Paxo perils
Old 31 October 2001, 06:57 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

Talking

Well, how 'bout that! I have just got meself a nice Scoob after spending a few years in a very delightful 106 GTI, a few years of having all the Nova/VTR's etc always trying to race me in the Pug. I never took the bait, of course.Anyway, I have now grown up and I find that whilst in the Scoob you get no tailgating, no revving of engines etc. I also wear a baseball cap somtimes(right way round) and I was (am) a sensible driver when in the Pug.The problem now though is that in a few years time these tossers will be able to afford Scoobies and will still drive like t**ts.
Old 31 October 2001, 07:15 PM
Robertio
Scooby Regular

Cool

Former VTR owner here there are millions of them around, lots modified by boy racers, but strangely I've never had any problems with them, maybe they recognise me as a former owner

The day I collected the car (11 April '98) I had 2 people trying to race me within 2 miles of the dealership so it is hardly restricted to one type of car.

Must admit I really liked the car, dry weather grip is very close to that of a Scoob, but understeer central in the wet, at low speeds.

They spend all their time on 3 wheels, even on slow corners the things do reliant robin impersonations, only ever knowingly had it on 2 wheels once, and that was the two front wheels, oops.

Not compulsory to drive like a nutter in them, but when I got rid of mine I had to as I found I was driving it too quickly out on the open road the whole time.

BTW, they feel far quicker than they are which may partially explain ridiculous overtaking manouvers.
Old 31 October 2001, 07:36 PM
MattN
Scooby Regular

I feel like stiring so.....

how do know it was a VTR? Could have been a VTS or even the Furio, all have the same bodykit.

What I find hard to understand is why bother 'modding' a VTR just buy a VTS!
Old 31 October 2001, 08:08 PM
monkeytennis
Scooby Regular

I have to agree that the Saxo image is becoming a bit too 'Max Power', but they are still great little cars.

I owned a lowered VTS for 2 years & I reckon it was easilly more fun in the corners than my scooby. Admittedly it 'aint as powerful, but the lift off oversteer was soooo controlable. Add to this better mpg, lower insurance, cheaper servicing etc. Makes me wonder why I sold it!

Old 31 October 2001, 10:12 PM
miggs
Scooby Regular

Monkeytennis you know why u sold the saxo coz u bought the xzara estate coz you thought you were getting old me old m8 LOL then you realized you are as old as the girl your dating so you bought your scoob LOL

laters m8
Old 31 October 2001, 10:15 PM
LEE P
Scooby Regular

Talking

Monkey tennis...honestly......
Old 31 October 2001, 10:22 PM
STEVECHAPS
Scooby Regular

Wink

Must've been a VTS cos it's not possible to pull the skin off a rice pud with a VTR!!!
As for overtaking, if the gradient is more than 0.05% uphill then forget it.
LOL
Ste
Ps, ours was quick compared to the demonstator.........
Old 01 November 2001, 12:34 PM
Jerry*
Scooby Regular

Talking

Dear All,

Fairly mixed reaction to this silly thread !!

I'd just like to point out that I had a really cr4p afternoon yesterday and as it was the following day from my little incident with Mr VTR I needed to let off some steam !!

Apologies to any baseball cap wearers (it was a bit of a careless generalisation)...and also to big stereo owners... all-in-all I suppose I was just having a dip at boy-racers in general, but we've all been there haven't we !

I have had a few incidents with them, and they're as common as hell (and you can tell them from a VTS because the wheels are smaller and they don't have a 16v logo on the rear pillar.. oh, and a lot of the plonkers can't afford the insurance on the VTS)

A mate's girlfirend used to have one and I must admit that they did look quite cute, and for a group 6/7 car it did shift, but why do the French make such nasty interiors !?!

Anyway,

Flames are out now I think....

Until another one decides to nearly kill me...

John

Old 01 November 2001, 12:35 PM
BarryK
Scooby Regular

Talking

Not just young blokes. Plenty driven by young women with foot to the boards. I don't think I've ever seen one inside the speed limit, unless not moving.

Have they all been reading MG car ads?

And they presumably don't come fitted with a seperate fog lamp switch. They come on with the other lights I guess?
Old 01 November 2001, 12:51 PM
Jerry*
Scooby Regular

Cool

Barry,

Doh !, there's one I missed !!

Its amazing just how many cars have that same problem !!

Especially Puntos and Focuses !!! AAaaarrgghhh !!

I wouldn't mind, but these peeps are the type that forget to put'em on when it really is pea soup !!

Eeehh, all good fun !

John
Old 01 November 2001, 01:21 PM
wacko
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

ah...VTR owners...... a group of ownerss who can be often found about 1 foot from your rear bumper. Although they have also be known to be found driving round and round your local town's one way system. With the manadatory upgraded stereo at full blast and the window open even if it is raining!!!!
Old 01 November 2001, 01:43 PM
ianc
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

ok ok I'll bite.

Number 1) although many prats will give a particular car an image that the driver is an idiot, you can't always assume that *all* owners of this car are idiots.

Number 2) as a former owner of a Saxo VTR I have to defend the thing.

Firstly, if it sat high in the air on little tyres then it was a furio \ west coast job, the VTR and VTS were identical suspension \ wheels (until the VTS went to 15"s) \ brakes wise (apart from VTS=ABS). The real way to spot it (and there are many fake VTR's) is that the VTR\VTS were the only two to have discs at the back.

The VTR is a genuinely fun little car, it has nowhere near the power of "performance cars" but on a tight country road where you can't open *any* car up it's amazing fun, you can throw it into bends without care, the grip \ weight ratio being on your side and if lazy you can adjust the steering lock quite significantly and not have it break grip. It may not be significantly "quick" but that does not mean it is not significantly "fun".

So why buy one? Well personally I took a crap car allowance from my (ex) employer and decided that instead of buying a boring vectra \ astra sized car I could have a fun small one for the same money. I commuted for some time between Lancs and London on a weekly basis and it coped with that fine, never broke down on me, safely avoided lunatics on the M-way, and I never felt the miles at all.

(reaching for flame suit, zipping it securely)
..and why buy a VTR over the VTS? Well cost to buy has very little in it, free insurance is nice (yes, I was 23) rather than group 15(!!) for the VTS, but the real reason is that despite the extra power the VTS has, being a 16v head it's all at the top. I have been in many VTS's and they have all had to be screamed at high revs to reach it, couple that with the saxo's best environment (country lanes) and you have to screw the engine immediately out of a bend to reach peak power. The 8v head of the VTR was far more suited to this. I (personally, point that flamethrower elsewhere please!) hate 16v heads unless you have obscene power, so figured I would rather take a VTR and modify it than a stock VTS. Yes yes I fitted an aftermarket induction kit, and yes put 16"s on it which stiffened things up a little, and indeed I swapped the standard stereo (4x11watts, I ask you!) but no I have never had a baseball cap, I have a "better half" thats older than 15, kids, mortgage etc etc. Why should an enjoyable car be only driven by a certain type of person?

Also, as a side-issue, why is a Saxo with induction kit \ sports exhaust etc "max-powered" (certainly a derogatory comment in my book, I detest that mag and everything it stands for) and yet a Scooby (or skyline, or any high powered Japanese car) with an induction kit and scoobysport backbox is viewed as "performance modifications" with some sort of superiority complex by some people?

Surely we all enjoy driving in the right time and place, and we all enjoy giving *whatever* we drive more power, lets nurture enthusiasts that cannot justify incredible insurance \ petrol costs, the more petrolheads we have to fight the ever increasing feeling against driving enthusiasts (for example see the MG ads thread) and then we have more numbers against speed camera's \ the monotony of everyday life?

There, thats better, I would never own another (seeing the crash tests on it scared me) but that didn't stop it being fun to drive.
Old 01 November 2001, 02:30 PM
father_jack
Scooby Regular

Scrappy are you a bit baldy is that why you wear the hat? Or do you use it to obscure the warning light for the front fogs being permanently on.......
Snigger....
Old 01 November 2001, 03:03 PM
InsBro
Scooby Regular

Jerry*

Just seen a Saxo with EVO V11 bonnet vents!!!

Jeremy
Old 01 November 2001, 03:11 PM
simon_prickett
Scooby Regular

You should drive a Scooby wagon like me, leaving these people for dead with a dog sticking his tongue out of the back window at them really winds them up :-)

Woof,

Simon.
Old 01 November 2001, 03:19 PM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

Ianc, bravo - well written sir

That's one in the eye for the bigots!!!!

Matt
Old 01 November 2001, 03:53 PM
mattstant
Scooby Regular

Angry

well said ianc
but you're eloquence only goes to prove that you are not one of the many neanderthals that do drive saxos round the one way system in Derby
I encountered one of these mouth breathers only last week as i pulled behind a 406 taxi with him in the outside lane me and the taxi on the inside .
taxi pulls away smartly and i follow him at a more than reasonable distance and i am aware that this saxo has deliberatley dropped back to sit along side me in the outside lane
I proceed around a sharp right hander and approach another set of lights and the saxo now struggles around the outside of the bend to keep pace .
me still not even responding slows down and pulls up behind the taxi at the next set of lights only to have this tosser decide to prove a point and thrash his tin can and force himself into a space that did not exist between me and the taxi with an acre of room behind me.
it was late and i was tired and i was on my way back from work but one of these days i will take my very heavy insurance approved crooklok to one of these t**ts side windows

just my two pennth

Matt
Old 01 November 2001, 06:11 PM
scrappydoo
Scooby Regular

Ohhh! Father_jack ive got loads of hair thank you very much and i wear my cap for the reasons i have previously mentioned if you cared to take note. Pay attention please i havent the time nor the energy to keep repeating myself.
Pay attention please i havent the time nor the energy to keep repeating myself. Sorry i couldnt resist it.:-)

Thankyou!!

PS..With a name like father_jack it sounds as though your some sort of kiddy fiddler. R u? Snigger :-)....

Quick Reply: Saxo VTR Drivers...