Sponsored by:

PPP ?

Search this Thread

Old 27 May 2006, 07:55 PM
BoroWRX
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PPP ?

OK , I have an 02 WRX and although I love the car it desperately needs to be unleashed , the turbo seems inanely slow to kick in and the lag is bad , I have heard on here that remaps are the way to go , can i expect that to do the job , what am i looking for , and what will it do to the allready silly fuel economy . Will it still pass an MOT ok ? and also will fitting a performance back box help.... thanks guys and gals

Enjoyed the shootout by the way and Hi to the guys who were in the Cleveland Convoy
Old 27 May 2006, 07:59 PM
suffolkdar
Scooby Regular

Have a word mith mr P.S.Lewis on here, he will see you right.
Old 27 May 2006, 08:19 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

A decent BB combined with a decat centre and TEC3 remap should get you IRO 270bhp I think. It will still pass the MOT with the UP pre-cat and DP cat in place. Fuel economy with PPP actually improves in ordinary day-to-day driving as the car requires much less effort to do the mundane. When tramping on it will be slightly worse, but not enough to worry about. Budget IRO £150-250 for a BB, £100 for a decat mid and £550-650 for remap (initially expensive as you buy a license for the software, thereafter any subsequent mapping only costs labour).
Old 27 May 2006, 08:25 PM
Rajaman
Scooby Regular

Your car has a TD04 turbo, which is the smallest and has best spool up characteristics and subsequently has least lag in the entire range of turbos on Impreza's, so If you are finding it laggy at the moment.....................
A decatted up-pipe will help with turbo spool up, so you could start there,then poss get a replacement downpipe, centre section, back box, replacement pannel filter, sti intercooler, hi flow fuel pump, sti injectors + ecutek remap + AndyF Hybrid Td04 ( was going to suggest a bigger turbo but you don't sem to be overly keen on lag )
The Wrx ppp kit for your car has the decatted up pipe, + prodrive intercooler hose and tweaked ECU + prodrive backbox which makes approx 40 more BHP than standard, + around 25% more torque throught the rev range.
You could look around in the for sale section, both on here an e-bay and possibly pick up some bargains
I would not however recommend a Dawes Device / Bleed valve, you will get more boost but fueling will be the same, sop a big no no
When you start modding, you will potentially adversly affect the resale value of your car, your insurance premiuim will go up and MPG will go down
All the best
Ray
Old 27 May 2006, 09:02 PM
BoroWRX
Scooby Regular

Default ppp

some great advice guys cheers , I am a little concerned about de-cats with the legalitites of it all , seen fair few emission test on my way to work !! , the remap sounds good but a little expensive ? , I have done the KN panel filter allready , and i use 97ron SUL or better when i can find it , and the back box i want anyway !!! just to make some noise ! , so whats the best place to remap and what do i need to know
Old 27 May 2006, 09:28 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

The car will pass the MOT and any roadside emissions tests with just the DP cat so don't miss out on the benefits of a mid decat section. The UP is a luxury but will give a little more. There are some great mappers out there. Richard Bulmer (former TSL and Carlos Sainz WRC mapper) has a new company which I thought was Carnetix, but apparently he's next door. Someone else may know its name. Pat Herbourn works freelance at several places I believe, but mainly at Scoobyclinic. You could try and get in on THIS deal at Powerstation. These mods will be getting close to the limit of the TD04, the WRX I/C and particularly the fuel pump and injectors, but any good mapper will compensate for this.
Old 27 May 2006, 10:47 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by Rajaman
Your car has a TD04 turbo, which is the smallest and has best spool up characteristics and subsequently has least lag in the entire range of turbos on Impreza's, so If you are finding it laggy at the moment.....................
Not quite true but close
They do spool up quickly due to their size but a roller bearing turbo will be nearly if not as quick even though they are bigger, you will "feel" it more though and as for lag, the latest JDM's suffer virtually zero lag , even my old MY00 has more lag than my MY03 JDM

Tony