Old 30 October 2001, 04:47 PM
Nimbus
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

[Marvin, Paranoid Android]
I think you ought to know, I'm feeling a little depressed
[/Marvin, Paranoid Android]

Not been very good times for me over the last few months with my scooby. Spent nearly £1000 a couple of months ago on a service, clutch change and main crank seal replacements. Then, the car made some strange noises last week and the garage said that the water pump needs replacing. It's also spilt coolant on cam belt (which was changed early at the last service so that the seals could be done) so this needs replacing again as well

The misses is telling me to sell it and get a Mondeo because it's costing too much. . She thinks it's just becoming a money pit. I love the old gal (the car)....Well, the wife too I guess...She's a MY95 with over 130k miles on the clock. Just hope this is the last of the problems.

I'm hoping to cheer myslelf up later in the week with some new wheels and exhaust I've been planning for a couple of weeks.
Old 30 October 2001, 04:58 PM
g man
Scooby Regular

Red face

Had enough of mine dealers[p*ss me off] wont entertain me so i just want out.....my99 full warranty[main dealer]
Old 30 October 2001, 05:06 PM
Nimbus
Scooby Regular

I'm not looking to sell it. I love the car. It's just that it's seems to be costing rather a lot just lately... Still, I don't suppose a Ford would have faired any better with the number of miles I've done..
Old 30 October 2001, 05:07 PM
Captain Sensible
Scooby Regular

Wink

Well, the wife too I guess...She's a MY95 with over 130k miles on the clock.

[Edited by Captain Sensible - 10/30/2001 5:07:52 PM]
Old 30 October 2001, 05:20 PM
Nimbus
Scooby Regular

Ooops, perhaps I should clarify...

Car = MY95 with 130K
Wife = MY69 with .... no, won't say
Old 30 October 2001, 05:24 PM
ANDY330
Scooby Regular

"Still, I don't suppose a Ford would have faired any better with the number of miles I've done.."

you kidding!!!I bought my sapph cos a year ago with a 330bhp conversion already on it and it still had the original cam belt, original fuel filter, original oil in the gearbox and diff etc, ive replaced all this and with 115k miles on the clock, its still going, spits flames, and goes to london and back on 3/4 tank of petrol and leathers scoobs (in a straight line! ). You were saying...
Old 30 October 2001, 05:31 PM
Nimbus
Scooby Regular

Wink

Andy!! You're spoiling my argument! I need to tell the wife that if I had a Mondeo if would have fallen to pieces by now!
Old 30 October 2001, 05:47 PM
MichelleWRX1994
Scooby Regular

Wink

I have spent just about a year's salary buying, repairing, insuring, servicing and running my car..........say no more, I know exactly how you feel.........
Old 30 October 2001, 05:55 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

No, a Mondeo would not have fallen to pieces by now. I owned a Mondeo from new (93L) and sold it 5 1/2 years later in SUPERB condition. Fords, from the Mondeo onwards are well built cars. I reckon my Mondeo was as well made as my Scoob, better in some areas. Paint was better (far less chips and swirl) Mine was well modded with 200bhp and 240lbft torque by a turbo conversion from Power Engineering, plus the usual suspension and brake mods. The driveline had no probs with this.
The forthcoming Focus RS looks good (my son has one on order) and the Mondeo ST220 looks tasty too.
Cant understand why so many people out there Knock Fords? Perhaps the thought of being beaten by a Cossie scars some?
JohnD
Old 30 October 2001, 05:58 PM
ANDY330
Scooby Regular

I think the thought of being beaten by a cossie scars ALL scoob owners John, but its simply reality!!!

Old 30 October 2001, 05:59 PM
MichelleWRX1994
Scooby Regular

Wink

Not at all, I was the owner of a 1.25 zetec Fiesta which caused me no end of problems, it was in for warranty work more times than it was out on the road. And it was far too girly for me, too sluggish by far.

I then moved to a 1.7 Puma which was lovely except it felt underpowered. I saw the scooby, fell in love and ditched the Puma.

The Puma is a great car but the scoob won at the end of the day

I won't knock Fords, I just prefer Scoobies
Old 30 October 2001, 07:01 PM
Carlos The Jackel
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

I think cars are like people - you get good ones and you get bad ones! That my thought for the day For what we pay for the things you would expect them all to be good!!! Unfortunaly every manufacturer sells dodgy cars!!! Its a matter of luck if you get a good or a bad one!
Old 30 October 2001, 07:11 PM
Spudgun GTR
Scooby Regular

Smile

i had a my00 from new, and before that a puma from new. the puma was FAR better built! the scooby build quality was pathetic, and an expensive joke.
not one problem out of the puma, sure not the quickest car out there, but massive fun. if ford brought out a cossie focus, i'd be tempted
Old 30 October 2001, 07:32 PM
MichelleWRX1994
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Trouble with the Puma, small, underpowered, front wheel drive, ugly at the rear end, too high up............

Yeah the scoob is tinny (orignal model) but the Puma does have its faults. Great boot design, you open it up and the water drips straight in!!!! Right on top of where the dealer put my CD changer [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]
Old 30 October 2001, 07:51 PM
Spudgun GTR
Scooby Regular

Smile

michelle
i never said the puma was perfect, if it was i wouldnt have sold it , but , people in this thread seem to be comparing ford build quality to subaru's.
and i reiterate my comments, the ford was better built than the subaru....by a mile.
Old 30 October 2001, 08:14 PM
Nimbus
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Hey guys! This was not meant to be a Ford v Scooby build quality post! (well, not intentionally (sp)). Just wanted to "let it out" while I was feeling low. I don't think I've got a bad car. It just needs a bit more TLC no it's getting on a bit. Like Carlos says, Cars are like people
Old 30 October 2001, 08:26 PM
camk
Scooby Regular

Wink

Nimbus,
I had the same issue with mine the whole time I had it 94 L Sti, 2 clutches, flywheel, timing belt,plugs, service blah blah blah. Not the best investment I ever made and certainly not the never break down motor that Top Gear promised . Between depreciation and repairs its cost 500quid a month for 18 months !!!!
The alernative is buy a new motor and take the depreciation hit, there is really a no win situation with cars. Probably best option is buy a year old Scoob and let someone else take the initial depreciation and you have the remaining warranty.
I had the same discussions with my wife although luckily she wanted a Golf Gti/Vr5 and not a Mondeo . We ended up with something very different as we moved abroad.
No simple answer mate to be honest, great fun simply costs money. Just remember your only here a wee short while and you can't take it with you so as my gran used to say; "Take your pocket money and try to spend it all in one go, that way you'll know what you've done with it".

Best of Luck
Cammy
Old 30 October 2001, 09:06 PM
NENO
Scooby Regular

So I'm reading about Nimbus' problems and I'm thinking how long does the average scoob last?

I'm used to VW's were you can expect to see at least 150k without major problems.
Old 31 October 2001, 09:42 AM
Nimbus
Scooby Regular

Just thought you would like to know that I'm feeling a lot better today . Hopefully getting my new exhaust fitted tomorrow, so that's cheered me up . Told the wife that I would give up my gliding for a year since the car has cost a lot over the last few months. She said "No, you can't do that! You like it too much!" Gota love her!

I would just like to point out that the car has never let me down. I've never been broken down or stranded at the side of the road, so as far as I'm concerned, it's still a top car and very reliable. I guess all I'm saying is that when things need replacing, it's always a bu66er when they all need doing at the same time

Now, I just need to persuade the wife that buying a P1 next year is a good idea

Cheers for the support
Old 31 October 2001, 01:17 PM
Johnny Alpha
Scooby Regular

Cool

It's a highly stressed performance car, keep them till the warranty is up and then get shut!

As for the comment on the dealers being lame I've nothing
but praise for the lot at York. They're top notch and helpful.
I've had more discs on the warranty than most of you have had
hot dinners!