Sponsored by:

Insurance Question - Annual Mileage?

Search this Thread

Old 30 October 2001, 07:49 AM
matt.bowey
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

My missus has been insuring her car for the last 3 years for 3000 miles per year. Now at the start of her third year, her odo reads 19000.

What is the likely outcome in the event of her having to make a claim? Will she get told where to go as she has well exceeded her estimated annual mileage.

Will declaring 10000 miles per annum push up her premium by much?

I keep telling her to sort this out, but hey what do I know........

Old 30 October 2001, 08:28 AM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I do a lot of miles and insured my old mr2 for 30000 miles a year, payed nearly double and sold it in 3 months to get my scoob. How are they going to know anyway?

You circumstance do change sometimes dont they?

Maybe the guys from schofields can comment here?
Old 30 October 2001, 08:35 AM
MattN
Scooby Regular

it's not like they knew what the mileage was when you first got the car!

It's still only circa 6k per year so shouldn't change at all.
Old 30 October 2001, 09:07 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Given that the insurance companies aren't stupid and that the quote varies widely on the amount of miles driven, I'd say that this is an area that insurance companies will be using soon to weadle out of claims.

Declare it, and know that you're insured.

You are told when taking out insurance that the answers that you give are legally binding and that giving false information may lead to your insurance being invalid.

That's enough to put me off.
Old 30 October 2001, 09:10 AM
Rum*
Scooby Regular

Morning all...

As far as finding out...well in the event of a claim you WILL be asked what the present mileage is...and if you have exceeded the limit, then technically you could have a problem.

Generally this will result in the revised annual premium being charged...i.e. £500.00 p/a for 6,000 limited mileage compared with lets say £600.00 p/a for unlimited mileage....you would then be charged £100.00 additional premium...in some cases the excess would/could be increased....some cases cover voided (VERY rare!!!)...

Basically if you are likely to go over the limit, then the best advice is to report it to your broker/insurer and pay the appropriate additional premium. At least then in the vent of any claim there are no arguments as to settlement.

Hope this helps...any further queries, give either John or myself a ring on 0113 250 0377...or catch us on Saturday at Donno for a chat...

All the best

Tom
Old 30 October 2001, 10:14 AM
AlanS
Scooby Regular

Some insurance proposal forms ask you to declare the odometer reading on the form. Some don't.

However, all brokers will ask you your annual mileage when performing a database search for the best quote. But depending on the insurance company you go with, you may have nothing to worry about.

I told my insurance broker I did less than 10k miles per year when i actually do 15000+. This kept the quote down. When i recieved the proposal form it didn't ask for the odometer reading so therefore it doesn't mater how many miles i do.

Unfortunately my girlfriend did the same with a different company and on her proposal form she had to declare the mileage of the car. This we did but we amended the 10k per year to the more realistic 18k. we expected some comeback on the amendment, in the form of a raised premium, but it didn't happen.

So hopefully we are both £s better off...
Old 30 October 2001, 10:35 AM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

Not sure I think this is valid.

What stops another person driving your car on their own insurance?

i drive my dads car on minimum thrid party from my own insurance all the time.

More importantly, surely once a year of insurance is up whether you ahve told them or not, that year is a done deal and is over?

The fact that she has been cheating for three years is surely irrelevant. It is this current year that matters.

I would still declare it at 10k a year, or ask them in advance what difference it makes to the premium.

Trending Topics

Old 30 October 2001, 10:49 AM
father_jack
Scooby Regular

Cool

I'm going for it if it's cheaper. It's not like you know exactly how many miles you're going to do in advance. The only link they have would be the service history on a newish car and with intervals of 10,000mls or more, that gives a good bit of leeway.
Old 30 October 2001, 10:49 AM
ANDY330
Scooby Regular

its simply an excuse to make more money out of you, you dont have to declare it, and unless you are on a ltd mileage policy, it dont make any difference, ive had two claims and my missus two and we were never asked for our present mileage, plus remember the key word in the question: ESTIMATED you ESTIMATE what you are going to do and unfortunately you do more, big deal!

Also, what if your speedo broke in the gearbox?? dont fall for it, go onto directline.com and get a quote, then keep editing it to see what brings it down ie adding a driver, changing the mileage, reducing the value etc etc
Old 30 October 2001, 01:48 PM
matt.bowey
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks people!!! I'll leave it up to her to decide!!!