Sponsored by:

P1 Bumper hanging

Search this Thread

Old 11 April 2006, 06:08 PM
d4zza
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P1 Bumper hanging

I recently bought a P1 and the front bumper has a significant gap hanging from the main bodywork. According to the subaru garage, this is a particular trait of the P1 bumper being heavy. Is there a known solution to this, or is every P1 going around with a bumper hanging lower than every other impreza I've ever seen???
Old 11 April 2006, 06:26 PM
Ozzy_B
Scooby Regular

Its just the same bumper as any version 5-6 bumper, except with a deep p1 splitter on the bottom of it, which makes it quite low to the ground. Where are the gaps in bodywork, i.e gap between the bumper and wing, or a gap between the bumper and headlights/grill?

I recently refitted my MY99 bumper (version 5) and got a managed to get a nice tight fit all round (no dirty comments anyone )
Old 11 April 2006, 07:08 PM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

They tend to droop over time, getting further from the headlights etc.

There's supposed to be a foam rubber thing it sits on which compresses over time and the plastic (?) bolts also get tired after a while.

IMO check the plastic plugs/screws which attach it to the front of the wheelarch liner, just in front of the front wheels. Any additional oddness here may indicate that the bumper's been grounded or caught on something. Also, check the metalwork of the front wings, just at the bumper/wing joint of the wheelarch. Look for any rust and indications of paint lifting from the bumper on the curves. Both would be indications of unusual stresses in the vicinity.

J.
Old 11 April 2006, 08:27 PM
Gordo
Scooby Regular

Hanging my **** - it's been nosed dived across a kerb (run your hand across the bottom edge and you'll probably feel the grazes)

Get them to re-seat it if you can

Gordo
Old 11 April 2006, 09:04 PM
d4zza
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ozzy_B
Its just the same bumper as any version 5-6 bumper, except with a deep p1 splitter on the bottom of it, which makes it quite low to the ground. Where are the gaps in bodywork, i.e gap between the bumper and wing, or a gap between the bumper and headlights/grill?

I recently refitted my MY99 bumper (version 5) and got a managed to get a nice tight fit all round (no dirty comments anyone )
thanks for all the replies, this is my first time starting a thread, basically because I only recently purchased my first Subaru, and I'm impressed and grateful for the quick replies.

The gaps in the bodywork are at the wings just at the front wings. Common opinion here seems to be it's been nose dived into a kerb, I do know that I've not done that personally but my fiance has driven the car down a road I told her not to because of the extra large speedbumps!!!

So if I were to get it re-seated, the subaru garage told me it would probably need done every time I drove over a particularly large pothole, or a particularly rough road, which there are plenty of!

Is the common opinion that I should get it done and hope it doesn't come loose again in a few weeks??
Old 12 April 2006, 07:55 AM
Gordo
Scooby Regular

I've had mine reseated a couple of times (in 46k miles) - both were due to me nosing it across kerbs or speed humps. I ony had it done when the skirt was being resprayed anyway.

i.e. it doesn't come loose through normal driving - the garage are just too lazy or reluctant to do it IMO

Gordo
Old 12 April 2006, 08:12 AM
kid1 scoob
Scooby Newbie

check out www.p1woc.co.uk

do a search for bumpers and there loads of advice mate!
Old 12 April 2006, 10:30 AM
ben44
Scooby Regular

I've taken mine apart to realign the bumper the other day. Its easy enough to get apart. I've a list of the fixings that you need to change. They cost me about £10 from Subaru.

When mine was in a Wilsons I asked them to realigh it for me (as they have done in the past) But it seems they couldn't be arsed this time either.

Checkout P1woc, there's a few things on there