Sponsored by:

car repair settlement?

Search this Thread

Old 11 April 2006, 12:43 PM
InvisibleMan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car repair settlement?

if it costs xxx amount to repair & insurance offers a few hundred less cos its an old car so this is standard procedure
- whats that all about, reasoning behind it? benefits/negatives for each party - mainly interested in what it would mean to/benefit me?

Old 11 April 2006, 12:47 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They should take your car and repair it at whatever it costs and return it to you, fixed.

Maybe what you are saying is that YOU will repair it if they pay you the estimated repair costs ... so you can do a cheaper job and pocket the difference?

One thing is absolute, it is illegal to make a profit out of an Insurance Claim

Pete
Old 11 April 2006, 12:47 PM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

If you are talking about a write off then the insurance company is trying to give you the minimum that satisfies their obligation to you under the policy agreement. You are not their friend anymore as you have cost them money and they won't try to help or benefit you as your renewal will show.

F
Old 11 April 2006, 01:12 PM
InvisibleMan
Scooby Regular

as liability is with other party this would be coming out of the other ins co not mine. wouldnt it not?
Old 11 April 2006, 01:36 PM
Francis K
Scooby Regular

Wink

If the accident is the other party's fault then you are entitled to be be put back into the position you were before the accident. If they choose to use nice new bits on your old car then that is their problem - in theory they could replace with like for like. Do not accept any deduction for betterment. If their insurance company refuses you can take (or threaten to take) the other party to the small claims court to recover the difference. Some insurance policies provide a service to recover uninsured losses.

HOWEVER if it is your fault and your insurance is applying an adjustment for betterment then you're probable stuck with it as your contract with them probable allows for it; but don't go down without a fight. They always squeeze as hard as they can!

Hope this helps
Old 11 April 2006, 01:48 PM
InvisibleMan
Scooby Regular

they are probably thinking its not worth fixing it due to the state its in "what harm is one more dent...." - yup its in a state

at what level do they say its a write off & whats the process - sorry havent a clue...i should phone my ins & see what they say
Old 11 April 2006, 02:52 PM
mikepaul
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pslewis
They should take your car and repair it at whatever it costs and return it to you, fixed.

Maybe what you are saying is that YOU will repair it if they pay you the estimated repair costs ... so you can do a cheaper job and pocket the difference?

One thing is absolute, it is illegal to make a profit out of an Insurance Claim

Pete
I would like to phrase as follows, if you by a car cheap (trade or otherwise), thereafte an estimator values the car at a higher price, e.g. the parkers price guide value as an example, you make a profit. There is a difference between profit and compensation however, if someone kills you pride and joy and the insurance company offers you £500 more than the car is worth, this is in effect compensation and is allowed by law.

So Pete, when my car got hit from behind and they re-sprayed by doors and bonet, I in effect made a profit of sorts (but they phase as due compensation) as I got some work done for free. They also fixed a dent when I did't expect them to fix. I got back in effect a mint car.

Know your rights, if an accident wasn't you fault. The other person's insurance company WILL and believe me they do, pander to your needs and every desire in the hope you don't sue for whiplash, time off work, the litigation possibilities are endless, so they are happy that you make a few requests.

Last edited by mikepaul; 11 April 2006 at 02:55 PM.
Old 12 April 2006, 08:31 PM
Jim_B
Scooby Regular

Also interested in where I stand on this. Traffic came to a stop on the motorway, me included, but the van behind ploughed into me at somewhere near 30 mph. Quite a bit of damage to boot / bumper / exhaust / rear 3/4 panel on at least one side... Obviously the van drivers fault.
All I have heard from my insurance is that the car is a "total loss".. Am waiting for some written information from them as the person I spoke to on the phone seemed incapable of finding me out any more information.

So, should I be able to get my car repaired whatever ? If so, why is my insurance company talking abou total loss ?