Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is it with BMW drivers?

Search this Thread

Old 18 October 2000, 12:02 AM
BrewandBake
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree on the badge thing - people will go for a base 316i with zero options just for the badge/image, when for the same money they could have had a much better specced, faster car.
Same for second hand cars - my collegue just bought a 3 year old 318i with 70k miles on it for about 10k - when I suggested he could have had something MUCH more fun (Fiat Coupe/VW Corrado VR6 or even an early WRX Scooby etc etc he seemed un-interested cos it didn't have a "badge" .....wierd.

Brew
Old 18 October 2000, 12:19 AM
MartinM
Scooby Regular

Cool

I tend to drive as if I have a sticker in the back saying "I SLOW DOWN for fast cars!" - there's nothing I like better (well there are some things... ) than watching a Ferrari, Porsche, Scoob, Evo etc blatting past me while I carry on in my own sweet way, ICE turned up, not a care in the world etc

BUT, if they've been pra$$ing about for 2 miles by being half an inch from my back bumper, feinting overtaking moves when there's no chance etc, then I might let the side down by not letting them get past easily for a hundred yards or so, just to express a sort of minor road rage. But I'll let them go in the end.

M
(36000 miles pa in a 328i, 2000 miles pa in a UK MY00)
Old 18 October 2000, 12:23 AM
JayDee
Scooby Regular

I don't beleive people who say that image is not important, unless possibly you drive a six year old Micra.

Its just that the image any particular car lends is different from any other.

I like the image of the Scoob (as well as the fact it really shifts)

There are always some drivers who act badly .(Somebody speeded up on me whilst I was overtaking the other day and they were driving a Megane Scenic for godsakes!)

It is tempting to stereotype though

JD

(rambling mode on)
Old 18 October 2000, 12:44 AM
AWD
Scooby Regular

There are plenty of to55ers who drive BMWs, but then there are plenty of idiots out there in many different cars. Some people don't like being overtaken no matter what they're driving - it is the dog in the manger attitude - I am going fast enough, how dare you try to overtake.

They take stupid risks and can cause accidents - this often happens near learner drivers when other more experienced drivers take daft measure to get past them.

I usually just give people who don't want me to overtake a wide berth, bide my time and then roar past them before they can react. I wouldn't risk getting into a one on one accelerating race with them - it's not worth the risk especially with oncoming traffic.

Leave the to55ers well alone. IMHO
Old 18 October 2000, 12:47 AM
AWD
Scooby Regular

Cool

I do like BMWs - well the more highly powered ones, but I am the first to admit that there are a bunch of posers who like to cruise around in debadged, M3 mirrored, blacked out windowed, musis thumping, 316s.

If it does it for them, they're welcome to it, but personally I wouldn't touch a 316 when I could have a much better specced non-prestige car.
Old 18 October 2000, 12:55 AM
JAMES BUSHELL
Scooby Regular

What do you expect? they THINK they are driveing the "ULTIMATE DRIVING MACHINE!" or however the slogan goes

James
Old 18 October 2000, 10:03 AM
Mungo
Scooby Regular

Angry

Quote from Topic: Pending Speeding Conviction 96 in a 60 - Advice Required. "The road is a very tempting road to drive fast, espically when the idiot you are over taking decides to accelarate too (why do all BMW owners think they have an M3?)."
I was driving on the A82 towards Fort William. Came up behind 323i, and followed him for 3-4 miles on twisty bits at 40-45mph. Nice 1/2 mile straight appears, oncoming car at the far end, so I pull out and floor it. So does Mr BMW**ker. So I'm slowly pulling past him, but we're doing 80+ and the car is now almost upon me. BMW won't backoff, I've got nowhere to go and have to do an emergency stop into a parking place on the RIGHT hand side of the road. Slightly shaken I drive on, and catch up Mr W**nker who is now back at 40mph. I manage ot overtake him again, fist shaking as I go past, and he justs shakes his head.
Why? What was his problem? Why did he try to cause a serious accident?
Old 18 October 2000, 10:12 AM
NickF
Scooby Regular

I'm not trying to have a go here, but surely you could have braked and just tucked back behind the BMW? If he was accelerating at the same rate as you (and you were in a Scoob at the time??) then there would presumably have been space for this.

Nick
Old 18 October 2000, 10:21 AM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Mungo,
Sadly this behaviour is not confined to BMW drivers. I get this all the time, people just don't like being overtaken. I think the situation is made worse by the fact that we drive performance cars and these type of people think we are all boy racers who should be taught a lesson. They don't try to stop bikers going past, though, which seems rather strange.

The best approach for these tossers is just wait patiently for a spot where you can get past no problems (coming out of second gear corners usually does the trick. Not much can keep up with the Scoob then) and don't rise to their gesturing.

ALternatively, get an old banger and ram the f**kers off the road

Geezer
Old 18 October 2000, 10:26 AM
Richard F
Scooby Regular

It's people like that BMW driver that are making me want to give up the Scoob. It happens too much and is really starting to get me down. I would rather have a ratbox that can only overtake a dawdling old granny because at least then, you're not tempted to try and take on a car that can make life impossibly difficult for you it wants to.

Also, because it's an Impreza, people think that you must consider yourself the fastest thing on the road and so will always try and race. It's a load of @rse.
Old 18 October 2000, 10:28 AM
JoeyDeacon
Scooby Regular

Angry

If you are driving on a dual carriageway that goes down to one lane you can guarantee that the car leaving it to the absolute last second to get in lane (i.e driving over the ghost island) will be a BMW (Usually a debadged 316 with hub caps!!)

Talking about debadging cars a guy at my girlfriends work was slagging off subarus and saying that his new Audi A4 was 260BHP and was much faster. Anyway next time I went to see her at work I had a quick look at his car. Firstly it was debadged (never a good sign!!) and secondly it had some pea shooter exhaust. I finally looked in through the window and the rev counter red lined at 4500 RPM. Now I would say that this ment it was a diesel which makes me wonder just how it makes 260BHP!!
Old 18 October 2000, 10:32 AM
Bajie
Scooby Regular

Generally we are all rather opinionated about BMW.
And others have formulated their own ideas about Subaru drivers.
Why are you getting upset.
You should know buy now. If its a BMW go past it very, very quickly. Don't give it a chance to even draw level.
You will be happy. And the BMW will just live with the same opinion, thus maintaining the status quo.
ME. Love Beemers. Hate the dealers.
Old 18 October 2000, 10:52 AM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

Angry

I don't think this sort of behaviour is confined to just BMW drivers, but all (probably German) quality cars. Because there are so many BM's about it always seems to be them. It's the "I'm in a quality car so I rule the road and can do as I please" mentality.

As for this particular type of driving (speeding up when being overtaken), I've had people do this to me in various cars that I'm driving. I think some (invariably male) drivers hate being overtaken, regardless of what's overtaking. It is one of the most stupid and dangerous things you can do on the road.

In my reckless youth my mate was driving his Crapi (sic) and started overtaking someone. The other car sped up/slowed down to prevent us getting back across to the left. It went on for some time and we were approaching the brow of a hill. In desperation, I grabbed the first thing that came to hand (an empty beer bottle) and threatened to throw it at the other car. Funnily enough, he slowed down and let us in. Moments later a car came the other way over the hill, so we'd narrowly missed a head on.

Jerome.

[This message has been edited by Jerome (edited 18 October 2000).]
Old 18 October 2000, 11:01 AM
Scott!
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by JoeyDeacon:
<B> Now I would say that this ment it was a diesel which makes me wonder just how it makes 260BHP!! [/quote]

Don't shout too quick, those VAG oil burner lumps can be tuned up to rediculous power figures! Although more likely was 260 lb ft torque and about 200 Brake...

I know of a few Golf TDI sleepers about that although not as fast as a Scooby would probably get scarily close! ( Until a corner! )

Scott!
Old 18 October 2000, 11:17 AM
Martin Stirling
Scooby Regular

The problem with BMW is not the car, but all too often the image that people perceive themselves as portraying by owning one. It bothers me that people are so pretentious that their fixation with labels and status ultimately controls the decision over which car to own.

I have a friend that drives a BMW who loves my car (Evo 6), yet I know would never buy one because it doesn't scream status or affluence. The fact that my car costs new, more than his 328i, is irrelevant to him as it is the perceived value and image which is paramount in his mind (although he won't admit it). I know many people who I am sure would love a Subaru or an Evo if it weren't for the badge.

Sad if you ask me, very sad..
Old 18 October 2000, 11:19 AM
Robertio
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

I have had the same problem in every car other than the Impreza Turbo (so far). If you try overtaking anything in a 2.3 diesel Sierra you need at least 2 miles of clear road.
Thankfully at that time I drove almost entirely along the same 100 mile stretch of road which I knew like the back of my hand. With above drivers I stayed about 1/2 mile behind the car in front and accelerate up behind the car through tight corners (you are doing 60 and he is doing 40) and hope that the straight is clear.
At least the Scooby makes it a little safer in these circumstances. As no matter what car you own some people just do not want you to overtake them.
Old 18 October 2000, 11:22 AM
JoeyDeacon
Scooby Regular

Cool

Scott!,

I just though it was funny that he was saying how crap subarus are and how great his car was (I think he was trying to imply that his car is the S4 Quattro which has 265BHP) when it is really a 2.5 Tdi (Which is 150BHP and 229 lb/ft) when it weighs 1505 Kg it really isn't even in the same league as a scooby is it??
Old 18 October 2000, 11:42 AM
SimonD
Scooby Regular

Wink

I feel the need to apologise to you all.

Simon (BMW driver)
Old 18 October 2000, 11:43 AM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Angry

The thing I hate is when you overtake someone at night and they leave their full beam on. Either it's the fact they don't like being overtaken or they're just thick and have never read the highway code.

Rant over

Chris
Old 18 October 2000, 11:44 AM
JoeyDeacon
Scooby Regular

SimonD,

That reminds me of the German guy in Harry Enfield and Chums!!
Old 18 October 2000, 11:46 AM
Stupot
Scooby Regular

LOL Simon
Old 18 October 2000, 11:54 AM
Scott!
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by JoeyDeacon:
<B>Scott!,

I just though it was funny that he was saying how crap subarus are and how great his car was [/quote]

Probably because he knows nothing about them! The 2.5TDi can be tweaked to big power but from the sounds of things the only tweaking he's managed is to remove the badge! Isn't that a BMW trick..

And I agree not in the same league!

Scott!
Old 18 October 2000, 01:14 PM
Gary Foster
Scooby Regular

I drove a 316i BMW Compact before the Scoob, and I didn't buy it for the badge (hey driving a 316i doesn't impress anyone lets face it ). IMO it was a good car for the money, the build was excellent - utterly reliable and the dealers excellent. I only wish I could say the same for the Subaru .....

Anyway, Last week I drove down my fav road, I was going 40 (the limit) and came to a derestricted bit which was straight and floored it. This is normal, I do this road every day.

Thing was - that day there was a bike on my **** wanting to get by, he inched past as I was accelerating and finally passed me getting bloody close to a blind corner.

My point is, I wasn't being a git, that is just how I drive that piece of road, whether there's someone there or not.

Maybe you should explain again why I should slow down in order to let certain cars / bikes overtake me ?, should I have ESP or something to enable me to know when someone wants to evertake ?

Maybe all other road users should just pull over into the ditch when they see you coming ? what do you reckon.

Gary
Old 18 October 2000, 01:22 PM
BrewandBake
Scooby Regular

Not ESP - just an ounce of intelligence.
If someone is trying to overtake & a blind corner is looming - ease off if they have committed themselves to the manoeuvre.
Having someone's death on your conscience aint how I wanna live the rest of my life.

Brew.
Old 18 October 2000, 01:46 PM
harryh
Scooby Regular

Gary, did you learn that driving habit from the BMW owners manual? Seriously though, read Brew's post several times please. You might not be deliberatly obstructing so that he can't overtake, but it's still a pretty dodgy way to behave, specially if the guy on the bike is travelling faster in the first place. No need to slow down, but just don't floor it until he goes by.

[This message has been edited by harryh (edited 18 October 2000).]
Old 18 October 2000, 01:53 PM
Richard F
Scooby Regular

Second that.

You don't need to slow down just don't accelerate any more. Wonder how you'd feel if someone did that to you...
Old 18 October 2000, 02:07 PM
RB170
Scooby Regular

You're gonna get it from people whatever they're driving, I had the same last night with an F reg Astra estate. I was behind him coming out of a 30 into a national and the git basically moved into the middle of the road so I couldn't get passed, luckily there was nothing coming the other way visibility was good so I just dropped a cog and flew past him. I get the same when I'm riding my bike (CBR6) just got to take it in your stride or you end up being a D**K just like them.

Mike

Old 18 October 2000, 02:11 PM
wall
Scooby Regular

Wink

hehehe...having recently abandoned the world of STI ownership for Elise ownership I must say that what I thought where behaviours limited to German cars and / or the max power brigade applies in fact to numerous Scooby drivers also! Perhaps I was not subjected to it when driving my old Turbos and then the STI as I was "one of the tribe", getting only friendly waves or flashes from other Scoobies. But now, in just one month, I have already been approached rather aggressively by two rather grown-up muppets in Scoobies. Unfortunately for them the roads where always dry and twisty, and my Elise is a 111S, which means they didn't get to see which way I went for very long..... but as much fun as that was I don't appreciate having morons tailgating me, or pureposefully speeding up whenever an overtaking lane appears just to make it hard for me to pass, even if they know I'm travelling way faster. So I guess it's more a tribal thing.....BMW drivers don't do it to other BMs but they do to other cars that make them feel..."insecure"? And it appears that some Scooby drivers suffer from the same silly sindrome....

Wall (formerly respected by all Scoobies, now seen as a threat to their domination of the local country lanes )

[This message has been edited by wall (edited 18 October 2000).]
Old 18 October 2000, 02:47 PM
Gary Foster
Scooby Regular

BrewandBake

'Not ESP - just an ounce of intelligence.'

Are you calling me stupid ? You offensive little man

All

Hmm strong reaction, I'm glad I do so like playing devils advocate

Well I did slow down at about 50 metres from the corner when I realised he wasn't going to make it, you don't honestly believe I'd let him go round a corner on the wrong side of the road, maybe you do.

At which point in the (at least 15 seconds) it took him to overtake me was he committed ? he could quite easily have pulled in at any point if it looked at all dodgy ? Why did he start to overtake a car which was obviously accelarating hard in the first place ?

I can understand and sympathise with the original, 'I started to overtake and he sped up thing', but if someone is accelerating already when you start the manouver it's your own fault.

Listen to this, if you have committed yourself to overtaking someone and left yourself with no escape route you are now relying on the other road user to get you out of the ****.

The guy you're overtaking does not have to slow down / stop /pull over but he probably will is not defensive driving.

It's different for Subaru owners as they own the road though

(Awaiting a barrage of flames)

(- Edit cus I left an extra line on that didn't make sense -)

[This message has been edited by Gary Foster (edited 18 October 2000).]
Old 18 October 2000, 02:59 PM
TRIGGER
Scooby Regular

There is a small bit of this in everyone - lets be honest, all of us like to think our car is better than others. But that is no excuse for endangering lives. A good blast down a decent road with another car is a great laugh - just dont take it all too personally, and back off if it gets too dangerous.
There are complete idiots about who feel the need to impose their driving style on all those who have faster cars, or atleast more interest in driving. These are the people I hate - they flash you whenever you overtake, even on safe straight roads. I was very nearly run off the road (coincidentally by a BMW) in the summer while overtaking in a 30mph limit - he was doing 25 and I wanted to do 40/45 - my choice not his, and safe in the conditions in my opinion.

Sorry - rant over

Quick Reply: What is it with BMW drivers?